Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Articles: CoffeeGeek Columnist Feedback
SCAA Seattle 2005 Preview by Mark Prince
Great Espresso at Home
Curated selection of the best machines from La Spaziale, Izzo, Quick Mill, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Articles > Columnist... > SCAA Seattle...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 3 of 3 first page previous page
Author Messages
TheGhost

Expertise: Pro Barista

Espresso: 3-Grp Synesso Cyncra
Grinder: 3 Phase Doserless Robur with...
Vac Pot: Yama TCA-3
Drip: Clover
Roaster: Intelligentsia Coffee
Posted Tue Apr 12, 2005, 5:03pm
Subject: Re: SCAA Seattle 2005 Preview by Mark Prince

So, it seems there are some amazing things to be seen this year... Mark, I want to know how you heard anything about the consumer/prosumer machines from the big LM... Seriously, cause if I get there and there's nothing I am going to cry. To be able to hear about, let alone see something like this would be as incredible as my first double-shot from Stumpies or Vivace...

R. Willbur
Intelli.LA
 View Profile Visit website Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Link to this post
MarshallF
MarshallF
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: LM GS/3 MP
Grinder: Mahlkonig ProM; Baratza...
Vac Pot: Hario Nouveau, Bodum ESantos
Drip: Clever Dripper
Posted Tue Apr 12, 2005, 5:22pm

KeithH Said:

And I think the pods class sucks. Wish I had thought of it sooner, but wanted to print shirts that said:
Back to the Future?
The Pursuit of Perfection?
PUCK FODS
<snip>
In my opinion the pods class is really a pretty lame thing to have at the SCAA...

Posted April 12, 2005 link

Why? You're a professional roaster. How much of what you roast gets the care it deserves on its way into the cup? How many of your customers (retail or wholesale) have good grinders, use them properly, store your coffee properly, throw out stale coffee, tamp properly, etc., etc. Most roasters I know constantly worry how much damage is being done to their good name once their beans leave the shop.

With properly made pods and good brewers you can get maybe 75 to 80% of what your beans are capable of delivering. Not what you or I would settle for, but way better than what most of your customers are doing to them. Think about it.

Marshall
 View Profile Link to this post
bradinvancouver
bradinvancouver

Espresso: LM GB5
Grinder: E-Robur
Drip: Clover/Fetco
Roaster: Gothot from afar
Posted Tue Apr 12, 2005, 9:23pm

Ryan - All the rumours I've heard point to a debut of a number of new LM's...
 View Profile Visit website Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
MarkPrince

Espresso: KvdW Speedster
Grinder: Versalab M3 Grinder
Vac Pot: A bit too many
Drip: Bonavita
Roaster: Hario Glass Retro Roaster
Posted Tue Apr 12, 2005, 11:29pm

MarshallF Said:

Why? You're a professional roaster. How much of what you roast gets the care it deserves on its way into the cup? How many of your customers (retail or wholesale) have good grinders, use them properly, store your coffee properly, throw out stale coffee, tamp properly, etc., etc. Most roasters I know constantly worry how much damage is being done to their good name once their beans leave the shop.

With properly made pods and good brewers you can get maybe 75 to 80% of what your beans are capable of delivering. Not what you or I would settle for, but way better than what most of your customers are doing to them. Think about it.

Marshall

Marshall - he's a stated "Third Waver". If you know the concept of the third wave in coffee, you probably don't think there's any room in there whatsoever for pods. ;)

Mark

CoffeeGeek Senior Editor
www.twitter.com/coffeegeek www.flickr.com/coffeegeek, www.instagram.com/coffeegeek (you get the picture)
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
MarshallF
MarshallF

Espresso: LM GS/3 MP
Grinder: Mahlkonig ProM; Baratza...
Vac Pot: Hario Nouveau, Bodum ESantos
Drip: Clever Dripper
Posted Wed Apr 13, 2005, 12:08am

MarkPrince Said:

Marshall - he's a stated "Third Waver". If you know the concept of the third wave in coffee, you probably don't think there's any room in there whatsoever for pods. ;)

Mark

Keith's profile says he's a "Pro Roaster," and I was addressing him as such. Roasters can take an oath to only sell to accounts (or retail customers) that practice the "Third Wave;" but I doubt it is a viable business model. :-)

Marshall
KeithH

Expertise: Pro Roaster

Posted Wed Apr 13, 2005, 12:42am

Well--I am a pro but a small time one.

I left my roasting position of 5 years not too long ago and am currently involved in my own scheme to bring a good cup to the faithful.

But even when I was with my former employer--third wave or not---I would still say PUCK FODS.

Perhaps I am missing something. I agree Marshall, that the idea of leaving my hard work in the hands of a minumum wage worker who uses the tamper that came bolted to the grinder frightens me. But so far I do not see pods as a solution---perhaps a Swift beofre that!!

Granted--i have never had coffee from a pod (that I know of) Maybe I am wrong! Perhaps the big 4 are currently producing pods and I would hate their coffee--pod or not. Would be interesting to try Black Cat out of a pod and compare----

Meanwhile--I trust my butcher, my baker and my barista to deliver me a quality product.
hopkin

Espresso: Synesso
Grinder: Robur E
Vac Pot: Hario
Drip: Clover
Posted Wed Apr 13, 2005, 3:13am

I don't want to add to the pod (pre-ground) debate here as there are so many of them... but ok I'll say my rant.

It belongs with the super-automatic vs manual debate - there are no shortcuts on quality.  You don't see the four stars using bread machines and appliances to make demi glace - and it does not appear out of a wrapper.  NO, if you want to make something great you do it with your hands.  As any great chef will insist: to achieve something great is to get back to chopping with a good sharp knife and using real, fresh, and whole ingredients.

The highest quality will always be handcrafted.  The arguement that automation is good or "better" for the 85% of shops that don't know or can't train is backward thinking.. its bad news for everyone, its bad news for coffee.  Pods may produce better espresso than one ill-prepared, but is it great espresso?  NO.  Its not progress.  Shopowners must be educated coffee professionals who TRAIN and uphold the craft of brewing great coffee.

Illy is a perfect example, spending millions in r&d trying to preserve coffee freshness.  They failed.  Why not roast fresh?  Are we shipping coffee to other planets?  They may as well try and preserve fresh cut flowers!  Maybe they should get into the anti aging gig.

"What is to give light must endure burning." - Victor Frankl

Alistair Durie
Elysian Coffee
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
showing page 3 of 3 first page previous page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Articles > Columnist... > SCAA Seattle...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.24795293808)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+