Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Articles: CoffeeGeek Columnist Feedback
The Barista Code of Conduct, BGA Files
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Articles > Columnist... > The Barista Code...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 7 last page next page
Author Messages
nickcho
nickcho
Expertise: Pro Barista

Espresso: this
Grinder: that
Vac Pot: yes
Drip: drop
Roaster: Trish!
Posted Wed Jun 1, 2005, 1:00am
Subject: The Barista Code of Conduct, BGA Files

The Barista Code of Conduct
BGA Files article by Nicholas Cho

Nick Cho offers up a preliminary "work in progress" called the Barista Code of Conduct - meant to take the Third Wave movement on its upward path.
 View Profile Visit website Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
MarkPrince

Expertise: Professional

Espresso: KvdW Speedster
Grinder: Versalab M3 Grinder
Vac Pot: A bit too many
Drip: Bonavita
Roaster: Hario Glass Retro Roaster
Posted Thu Jun 2, 2005, 5:32pm
Subject: Re: The Barista Code of Conduct by Nick Cho

Just a note (to address an email I just got): Nick didn't write this in response to the whole "be a critic or just shut up" thing that I wrote about in forums a few days ago. He wrote this last month. Just got around to publishing it now - I wanted some nifty shots to go with it.

Mark

CoffeeGeek Senior Editor
www.twitter.com/coffeegeek www.flickr.com/coffeegeek, www.instagram.com/coffeegeek (you get the picture)
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
nickcho
nickcho
Expertise: Pro Barista

Espresso: this
Grinder: that
Vac Pot: yes
Drip: drop
Roaster: Trish!
Posted Thu Jun 2, 2005, 8:37pm

Thanks always to Mark for the opportunity to write these articles for what will always be the best coffee-related website in the world.

Just a quick thing... I've been told that I, in fact, was also wrong, and that there are MORE than three species of coffee beans.  My bad! I'm sorry! (edited for internationalization)

But that's okay... I never said that I knew that much about coffee. ;-)

--

Oh, and one more quick thing... those gorgeous, shiny tampers that Mark illustrated the article with are from EspressoCraft.  Great work, Ken!!!

www.wreckingballcoffee.com - www.portafilter.net
 View Profile Visit website Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
reschsmooth
reschsmooth
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Unico Splendor
Grinder: Macap M5
Roaster: Popcorn popper & stovetop...
Posted Thu Jun 2, 2005, 9:08pm

Just a question from an Aussie.........what does 'my bad' mean?
 View Profile Link to this post
champignon
champignon
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: La Cimbali Jr. DT/1 Rotary;...
Grinder: 2 Cimbali Jr. Grinders; 1...
Vac Pot: Hario Deco 3; Hario Deco 5;...
Drip: Melita cone, used during...
Roaster: 1lb Gas Fired Drum Sample...
Posted Thu Jun 2, 2005, 10:37pm

reschsmooth Said:

Just a question from an Aussie.........what does 'my bad' mean?

Posted June 2, 2005 link

It doesn't mean anything; just a dumb expression that is so grammatically incorrect I can hear my 5th grade English teacher rolling over in her grave.  The idea is that "you made a mistake."  If I had to guess, I think this is not one of those slang expressions that will hang around long enough to enter common usage.

This is in response to the above question, not to the article itself, which is good ---

ken
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
matsg
matsg

Espresso: Quickmill Emilia Deluxe
Grinder: Innova I2 DL
Drip: Philips HD7634
Posted Fri Jun 3, 2005, 12:42am

champignon Said:

It doesn't mean anything; just a dumb expression that is so grammatically incorrect I can hear my 5th grade English teacher rolling over in her grave.  The idea is that "you made a mistake."  If I had to guess, I think this is not one of those slang expressions that will hang around long enough to enter common usage.

This is in response to the above question, not to the article itself, which is good ---

ken

Posted June 2, 2005 link

Funny that you would comment on Nick's language in this manner in the comments thread to this particular article...

As I am Swedish and I knew what it meant I guess it must have some common usage. Anyway, how does the language develop and thrive without ever changing? If the users of a certain language never took steps to renew the language we'd all still be speaking "cave-man".

Nick: Great article as always!
reschsmooth
reschsmooth

Espresso: Unico Splendor
Grinder: Macap M5
Roaster: Popcorn popper & stovetop...
Posted Fri Jun 3, 2005, 1:13am

Apologies matsg - my initial question was rhetorical, given I knew roughly what it meant. I just have a pet gripe when it comes to certain idiosyncratic phrases and the bastardisation of the language - don't even get me started on the 'c u l8r' rubbish........but I am just an old (32) man who enjoys screaming at the TV.

As mentioned great article, although I may not agree with all that was said - but I don't think it was necessarily directed at consumers like me.

P
mushkat
mushkat

Espresso: Synesso,La Spaziale,Isomac...
Grinder: Mazzer Mini, Major, robur
Roaster: Gene Cafe
Posted Fri Jun 3, 2005, 1:54am

Nick-

Good advice for all walks of life.  Even as a non-professional, it is tempting to want to give advice or even a demonstration.  What keeps me on the proper side of the counter is to think about how I would feel if I were the barista, and a stranger offerred to tell me how wrong I practice my craft!  If you care enough about a certain barista or coffeehouse, then your advice is well taken to invest some time in developing a relationship before giving unasked for advice.

Fred Mushkat
counting

Posted Fri Jun 3, 2005, 9:16am

In the "Mediocre Coffee" topic, EvilDan posted links to the Australian National Training Authority espresso module. Awesome! Instruction/training is even provided at a high school.

Nick, are discussions happening at the BGA or elsewhere, aimed at bringing that kind of training/certification program to the U.S.?
spinnaker007
spinnaker007
Expertise: I like coffee

Posted Fri Jun 3, 2005, 9:39am

nickcho Said:

Just a quick thing... I've been told that I, in fact, was also wrong, and that there are MORE than three species of coffee beans.  My bad! I'm sorry! (edited for internationalization)

Posted June 2, 2005 link

So, you just broke your own rule 3?? JK...
showing page 1 of 7 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Articles > Columnist... > The Barista Code...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Support Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids is a non profit charity working with farming communities around the world. Donate today!
www.coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.369838953018)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+