Articles: CoffeeGeek Columnist Feedback
The Good, The Bad, The Uninformed, Newbie Revelations
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Articles > Columnist... > The Good, The...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
MarkPrince

Expertise: Professional

Espresso: KvdW Speedster
Grinder: Versalab M3 Grinder
Vac Pot: A bit too many
Drip: Bonavita
Roaster: Hario Glass Retro Roaster
Posted Mon Jul 18, 2005, 12:00am
Subject: The Good, The Bad, The Uninformed, Newbie Revelations

The Good, The Bad, The Uninformed
Newbie Revelations article by Rhonda Eudaly

Rhonda Eudaly tells us about her journey into what quality coffee really is all about, and how she has Billy Crystal moments (from City Slickers).
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
harc
harc
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Bunn ES-1A
Grinder: KitchenAid KCG200MC
Drip: Capresso Elegance Therm
Roaster: Brightway Pro1500Plus
Posted Tue Jul 19, 2005, 10:48am
Subject: Re: The Good, The Bad, The Uninformed, Newbie Revelations

Enjoyable and well written.  Certainly a familiar issue for many of us.  How about a PodCast interview with Rhonda?  Or a panel of newbies?
 View Profile Link to this post
the_white_girl

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Tue Jul 19, 2005, 7:36pm

Oooo scary!!! I thought all the rumours I'd heard about coffee in the US were exaggerated. I'm glad you've managed to break through to the other side and join what will hopefully be a revolution.

I'm just glad I live somewhere where good coffee is available on every street corner, cafes that roast their own beans are a dime a dozen, and everyone seems to be happy to chat about coffee in all her infinite variety to their (and my!) hearts content.

Please evangelise!
malachi
malachi

Espresso: Monster Mia (for now)_
Grinder: Monster Cimballi Junior
Vac Pot: Not any more
Drip: never
Roaster: Ecco, Stumptown, Intelli,...
Posted Tue Jul 19, 2005, 8:01pm

Wonderful piece.
I'm glad that there are folks like you out there spreading the gospel of real coffee.

One, small, nit to pick...

Columbia Supremo is dark, while Mexican Altura is mild, and Brazilian Mogiana (a personal favorite) fools you by being a darker roasted mild coffee.

While it may be true that your local roaster roasts these particular beans in this manner, that does not mean that they have to be roasted this way. For example, there are many different sources of beans from Colombia classified as "supremo" and the optimal roast profile will differ on these beans from provider to provider, lot to lot and season to season. In addition, each roaster has their own personal taste and will roast to that taste. So, for example, the Colombia Riserva de los Tostadores that Stumptown had for a while was roasted a couple of seconds into 2nd crack (i.e. not dark).
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
coffeacanephora
coffeacanephora

Espresso: Anita, La Pavoni EPC-8,...
Grinder: Cunill Tranquillo,...
Vac Pot: Bodum Santos, White Cross...
Drip: Chemex, Melitta, Cuisineart,...
Roaster: None yet...but getting the...
Posted Sat Jul 23, 2005, 9:50pm

Superb piece!  Welcome to fold!  Keep spreading the word!.  :o)
coffeacanephora
coffeacanephora

Espresso: Anita, La Pavoni EPC-8,...
Grinder: Cunill Tranquillo,...
Vac Pot: Bodum Santos, White Cross...
Drip: Chemex, Melitta, Cuisineart,...
Roaster: None yet...but getting the...
Posted Sat Jul 23, 2005, 9:51pm

I just knew New Zealand was incredibly civilized.....
trashy
trashy

Posted Tue Jul 26, 2005, 7:08am

Yet another roaster in Fort Worth that I was unaware of!  Too bad I just moved an hour away.....

Great article - thanks.
 View Profile Visit website Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Contact via ICQ Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
red_rydir

Posted Sun Aug 7, 2005, 8:20pm

Great article, I too have watched my own coffee experience grow from my initial coffee introduction by my father when I was 12 years old. Well that was twenty-years ago and I am continually learning. I myself prefer a  dark roast coffee, preferably  Kona, brewed with a French press and drank black. Of course this was not always so, a long time ago I defintely was a candidate for comments of "would you like some coffee with your cream and sugar?" It is always interesting to me how taste can be a constant yet subtle migration.
ChristianBrewer
ChristianBrewer

Espresso: DeLonghi  EC 140 La Povni...
Grinder: La Pavoni PA Burr
Drip: Braun, Bialetti Moka Expr.
Roaster: Air Popper( building a 1 lb...
Posted Fri Aug 12, 2005, 10:30am

Good article about some how most of us started out.
When I was little I made coffee for my grandparents (early 70"s) My grand father said it was the stongest coffee he ever had, but he did not have the heart to tell me it was awfull. Maybe it reminded him of the coffee when he was in the Army. But I used to watch them make the coffee so I thought I did it right. :>
Well thirty some years latter and now I wont touch the stuff in the can unless its the only coffee around or being polite. If you ever get a chance read up on the truth of the coffee industry, its a real eye opener on the partice they have taken to earn a extra buck. Examlpes adding water to the can about 1% and blending in the chaff for weight. That fresh coffee aroma in the can is nothing more than coffee oil they spary into the can and call it aromo seal.
Some of us accept (use to)what is told to be gourmet or the best and think it is till we are shown a better product.
Now coffee beans freshly roasted do not have to rest for two days. But any good roasting machine has a cooling tray can etc. the beans start to oxidize within that hour. They are best kept in a oxygen free canister, or do your best to vacuam seal them and put them frezzer is best.
And yes I was a Folgers only person till about 5 years ago and we got Starbucks and its was okay.
But the best espresso was severd by the little place's where they  run the machine correcectly ever single time.And if the customer did not like it, they changed there blends or what ever it took.
We all have a favortie coffee but Kona is no better than Niceraguan SHG.
But currently I am ejoying a cup of Ethiopian Yirgacheffe med/dark roast, a little cup of liquid gold.
O I almost forgot please help support Fair Trade its time for a change.
 View Profile Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
counting

Posted Sun Aug 14, 2005, 5:04pm

Malachi, what does supremo mean in "Columbian Supremo"? Is it a grading designation? Are some Columbians supremo and some not? If yes, what's the difference?
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Articles > Columnist... > The Good, The...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.308225870132)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+