Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Articles: CoffeeGeek Columnist Feedback
Milwaukee EspressoFest by Guest Author
Craft Roasted Coffee
Some days you make the coffee. Other days the coffee makes you.
bit.ly/craftroasting-ks

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Articles > Columnist... > Milwaukee...  
view previous topic | view all topics
Author Messages
submitarticle

Expertise:

Posted Thu Aug 7, 2003, 12:00am
Subject: Milwaukee EspressoFest by Guest Author

Milwaukee EspressoFest
by Guest Author

Robert Hall reports on a special "CoffeeGeek Invitation" comparison event he hosted at his home, with a bevy of espresso machines, beans, and brewing techniques compared.
 View Profile Link to this post
CraigA
CraigA
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: PID/PressureMod 2001...
Grinder: BUNN FPG-2 DBC, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Bodum Santos manual, Yama 5...
Drip: Behmor BraZen, BUNN VPR-APS,...
Roaster: Refurb Behmor 1600, BBQ...
Posted Fri Aug 8, 2003, 9:19am
Subject: * The Milwaukee EspressoFest! *

Great article Rob,& awesome to see all the equipment set up on your counter like that!, that's quite the weight load. {:-D  It's nice to put a face to a Coffeegeek forum member also, if they don't have it in their avatar, or on their profile page.Excellent to see so many in attendance & that all had a super time, Cheers to all!
Regards, CraigA.
 View Profile Visit website Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Contact via ICQ Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
ilVecchio

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Cremina, Elektra Leva
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Drip: Technivorm
Roaster: Hottop
Posted Fri Aug 8, 2003, 11:52am
Subject: Great fun for all!

Rob,
Thanks to you and your lovely wife and daughter for being such superb hosts.  It was a great time!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
espresso_jim
espresso_jim

Espresso: Mini Vivaldi II
Grinder: Mazzer Mini E
Drip: Technivorm Moccamaster...
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Fri Aug 8, 2003, 11:58am
Subject: Would have liked to see...

Great article about a fun day.  However, I would have liked to see more specs when you compared the machines.  For example, warm up times, amounts of crema at "x" point after the pour between the machines, temps during the pours. amount of time to steam "x" amount of milk.  Some tables and charts would have been nice.  The article was great on the social aspects but seemed a little light on the comparison regarding specific figures.

Thanks for the write up.  As I was reading, I wanted to be there as well.
jim_schulman
jim_schulman
Expertise: I live coffee
Posted Fri Aug 8, 2003, 12:25pm
Subject: re: Would have liked to see ...

Great article, Rob! It really conveys the experience.

About doing charts and measures. It's not really something that would have worked in that setting. People just wanted to play.

But there's another thing. Sometimes the stats one sees turn less on the machines themselves than on $10 trivialities.

For instance, the Expobar gets a slightly smaller stock basket than the other two; so in a quantitative test, the espresso may have scored lower for no reason other than that. We were swapping baskets and PFs, and nothing systematic showed up in espresso quality.

For instance (2): Rob didn't mention that he has the ultimate collection of steamtips, all of which fit all the machines there. The most basic thing about steaming is the more and bigger the holes, the faster it goes. The Expobar could probably sustain a higher volume tip than the others, since it has a slightly larger boiler. But given the same tip, and same steam pressure, the steam coming out is also the same.  

Moreover, does faster mean better? No way. For microfoam, one wants tips that smoothly roil the milk. Too much roil is bad, as is too little. Of the huge collection Rob had accumulated, only one or two were suitable (which is why he had bought so many).  Again, I'm not sure if this all important factor could be captured in a numerical test.
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
deborahb
deborahb
Expertise: Beginner

Espresso: Expobar
Grinder: M-mini
Drip: Chemex
Roaster: HTr, CR
Posted Fri Aug 8, 2003, 11:42pm
Subject: Thank you for sharing!

Great article, Robert (I got a kick from hearing of your wife's reservations).  The love of coffee brings together warm, interesting people. :)  Deborah
EvilDan
EvilDan

Espresso: Doesn't matter.
Grinder: Good equipment won't
Vac Pot: make up for
Drip: poor skills.
Posted Mon Aug 11, 2003, 7:54pm
Subject: ??

"Espresso beans"????
view previous topic | view all topics
Discussions > Articles > Columnist... > Milwaukee...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Rancilio Silvia - How to
Step by step guide for easy brewing and steaming with the Rancilio Silvia
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.354382991791)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+