Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Articles: CoffeeGeek Columnist Feedback
Meditations on a Mantra by Alan Frew
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Articles > Columnist... > Meditations on a...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
alanfrew
alanfrew
Expertise: Professional

Posted Sat Sep 28, 2002, 12:00am
Subject: Meditations on a Mantra by Alan Frew

Meditations on a Mantra
by Alan Frew

What I REALLY think about before I reach for my chequebook!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
gauperaa
gauperaa
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Euro2000 Junior, Rancilio...
Grinder: Mazzer Mini, Rancilio Rocky,...
Vac Pot: Mini eSantos
Drip: OBH Nordica King of Coffee
Roaster: Imex-CR100, Princess popper,...
Posted Sat Sep 28, 2002, 9:28am
Subject: Great article

Great article Alan. I agree with your views. I've actually just stopped roasting for a while just to enjoy cappas from my favourite preroasted coffee. The struggle to get perfect espresso, latte art, blends etc. is fun, but like you say we shouldn't forget to take time to enjoy the great taste and aroma of espresso coffee. Your comparion with high end audio equipment is spot on. Lots of people care more for the audio quality than the actual music they are playing.
michaelgfoster

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Krups Novo Compact, Krups...
Grinder: Solis Maestro
Vac Pot: Yama
Drip: Melitta Cone
Roaster: FreshRoast Plus
Posted Sun Sep 29, 2002, 2:48pm
Subject: great point about taste

GREAT POINT about taste...I have to keep repeating that to myself the next time I start drooling over a commercial machine...

My coffee took its biggest leap in quality when I began to roast my own.  Most coffee, even fresh, locally-roasted coffee, is over-roasted (to my palate), and homeroasting seems to be the only way to get the taste that I like.
Duncan

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Pavoni, Techno, La Cimbali...
Grinder: Cunill, Rossi RR45, Mazzer...
Vac Pot: No
Drip: No
Roaster: Withams Coffee
Posted Mon Sep 30, 2002, 4:15am
Subject: once you get your technique right

"for an experienced operator it’s probably easier to get a consistently good shot from the Silvia, once you get your technique right"

How do you justify this sort of statement. Wouldn't an experienced operator get a consistenty good shot from any machine, they are experienced with. I smell a little bias in this statement
espresso_jim
espresso_jim

Espresso: Mini Vivaldi II
Grinder: Mazzer Mini E
Drip: Technivorm Moccamaster...
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Mon Sep 30, 2002, 7:51am
Subject: If it weren't for....

If it weren't for those "extremists who need the latest and greatest" and their enthusiasm in the espresso ritual, I wouldn't have been able to get a handle on what equipment I required for my espresso.  No matter how good the technique on a Silvia, I was not willing to go through the 20 or so minutes of warm up and temp surfing just for a shot.  An E61, HX met the requirement and now, I have no reason to upgrade.

I agree, an experienced person with good equipment will regularly pull a good shot.  The rest depends on personal requirements.  Me, I wanted a 24/7 machine.  Because of the enthusiasts here and in alt.coffee, I learned from them and I ended up with just what I wanted without having to go through much upgrade at all.

“Yair...but what does it taste like?”  It tasts great.  This novice went to the above mentioned machine, homeroasting and grinding over this past summer.  I now pull great tasting, consistant shots and no longer consider myself a novice.

Thanks "extremists" who need the latest and greatest.  You steered me to just exactly what I wanted and needed to get great tasting espresso.

Thanks for the article. It really got me thinking.

Jim
 View Profile Link to this post
bgetchel
bgetchel

Espresso: Pasquini Livia 90 Auto,...
Grinder: Rancilio MD-50, Mazzer Mini,...
Vac Pot: Bodum Santos
Drip: Bodum Chambourd press pot.
Roaster: Alpenrost
Posted Mon Sep 30, 2002, 7:12pm
Subject: 400 Shots in TWO WEEKS?!

Is that figure correct in the subtitled picture above? That THIRTY (30) shots per DAY! "And all of them tasted good"?!!

I would say that, unless the majority are decaf, you need to check the blood content in your caffeine.

Dood!
 View Profile Link to this post
JDenver

Expertise: Aficionado

Posted Wed Oct 2, 2002, 11:50am
Subject: Silvia not the ultimate

To the extent you are talking about straight espresso only, I'd agree with you about being hard pressed to exceed the best shot that a Silvia is capable of. But Silvia's single boiler design makes it inferior to heat exchanger and dual boiler designs for those who desire to make milk drinks, a point that I feel that you did not adequately stress in your otherwise excellent article. You make it sound as if there is no reason to ever spend more than on a Silvia, and this is just not the case.
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Articles > Columnist... > Meditations on a...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Donate to Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids works with farming communities around the world, improving lives. Donate today.
www.coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.270856142044)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+