Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Articles: CoffeeGeek Columnist Feedback
Plenty Questions by Alan Frew
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Articles > Columnist... > Plenty Questions...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
alanfrew
alanfrew
Expertise: Professional

Posted Tue Jan 22, 2002, 12:00am
Subject: Plenty Questions by Alan Frew

Plenty Questions
by Alan Frew

Online coffee retailers get to answer lots of questions. Some seem to cause nearly involuntary shaking and rattling.
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
MarkPrince

Expertise: Professional

Espresso: KvdW Speedster
Grinder: Versalab M3 Grinder
Vac Pot: A bit too many
Drip: Bonavita
Roaster: Hario Glass Retro Roaster
Posted Wed Jan 23, 2002, 2:06am
Subject: ROTF! or... been there, done that... :-)

Hehehe I know wence you come from Alan! :-) One day, I'm going to unleash the hounds myself... that is, the real "dogs" in the multitudes of emails I get during the course of day to day tomfoolery running CoffeeKid.

Here's some paraphrased short ones:

"Hi. Will you be my personal coffee sensei, answer six dozen questions I may have in the next six emails, and of course, answer within 15 minutes?" (okay, they don't say that, but many expect it! I do try to answer every email I am sent asking something, but man, some people think all I do is answer email 24 hours a day, or that NO ONE ever emails me and I have all the time in the world for them!)

"Yo Mark. You suck!" (okay, not too often, but I kinda like those ones - the break the routine! :)

"Hello. Would you be interested in a ground breaking innovation..." (oh wait. it's spam. no. It's not. It's some guy hawking pods or capsules or instant powders... yeah, it's spam).

"Hi. Where can I buy ______________ (some product even I've never heard of or a product that doesn't exist any longer). Sometimes followed by:

"Hi. Uhm, I think you're wrong. A friend says they still make those things..." (well then, go ask you know it all friend to buy you one!).

And my personal fave:

"Hi. Do you know where I can get a good cup of coffee in _______________?" (fill in town of choice I've been asked hundreds of towns I've never heard of). I get about 2, 3 of these a day.

Now anyone reading this. I DO NOT MIND ANSWERING EMAIL QUESTIONS. Even the repetitive ones (the questions I get a half dozen times a day or more). But folks. Have some common sense. I implore you. I do not know where to get the best coffee in Vulcan, Alberta, or even Des Moines, Iowa (though I do know guys in each place you could ask :-)). Nor am I your personal coffee fitness trainer for life. I could be, but you can't afford it :) (and if you can, email me today).
javachik
javachik
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Silvia
Grinder: Rocky
Drip: Bodum Thermal Press
Posted Wed Feb 6, 2002, 10:08am
Subject: Great article...also been there, done that!

I used to work for another coffee website, and that was part of my job- answering questions about coffee.  Got lots about coffee as it pertains to health ("Does caffiene stunt growth?"), and many like your French Roast question, including a few from people who thought the acidity of coffee referred to how much acid it had in it (yikes!).

Thanks for a GREAT article!
Kari
javachik
javachik
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Silvia
Grinder: Rocky
Drip: Bodum Thermal Press
Posted Thu Feb 7, 2002, 8:15am
Subject: Re: Great article...also been there, done that!

Mark- also got the "where can I buy a (fill in with some obscure coffee product) that I used to have 20 years ago and now for some reason I can't find anywhere?" questions.  I'm pretty adept at using the Internet to research these things, but there are just some things that cannot be found!  I also got quite a few questions from people who were looking for heating plates for their mugs of coffee (mmmm...baked coffee) and percolators (don't ask me why).  These questions were usually answered with a short enlightenment lecture on how to make good coffee.
~Kari
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Articles > Columnist... > Plenty Questions...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.253308057785)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+