Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Articles: CoffeeGeek Columnist Feedback
Seeking Espresso in Cozumel, The Cafe Stage
Saeco Espresso Machines
Large selection in-stock, includes Free Gifts and Free Shipping!
www.espressozone.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Articles > Columnist... > Seeking Espresso...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
phaelon56
phaelon56
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: LM 4 group , Isomac Tea,...
Grinder: Major, Super Jolly,...
Vac Pot: Bodum Santos
Drip: Fetco, Melitta
Roaster: Sivetz , Diedrich
Posted Tue Feb 25, 2003, 12:00am
Subject: Seeking Espresso in Cozumel, The Cafe Stage

Seeking Espresso in Cozumel
The Cafe Stage article by Owen O'Neill

Owen O'Neill takes us on a mad adventure on a Mexican island of Cozumel, as he bikes, dives, and hikes to find a good espresso. Join him on his trek.
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
jim_schulman
jim_schulman
Expertise: I live coffee
Posted Tue Feb 25, 2003, 6:31pm
Subject: Re: Seeking Espresso in Cozumel by Guest Author

Great article, Owen.

I guess if an Illy pod was the godshot, the search was a lot more fun than the find. Of couse, I'm ready to search for anything on Cozumel!
phaelon56
phaelon56

Posted Tue Feb 25, 2003, 7:45pm
Subject: not exactly...

Maybe not a godshot but the search was the adventure...  then again, I could be happy hunting down any number of things in Coz...
espresso_jim
espresso_jim
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Mini Vivaldi II
Grinder: Mazzer Mini E
Drip: Technivorm Moccamaster...
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Tue Feb 25, 2003, 9:28pm
Subject: Thanks for the story

Owen, your adventure sounded like fun.  When I travel, I quest for a good espresso, as well.  I actually found a god shot from a little cart at a conference bash put on by Cisco in San Diego this year.  It showed me what I could achieve.  This started me on my quest.  I bought the Tea and the Mini and from there things have been sailing along fairly well.

Good job!

Jim Roe
 View Profile Link to this post
phaelon56
phaelon56

Posted Wed Feb 26, 2003, 6:34am
Subject: isn;t it amazing?

Yeah...  when I went to Belize last year (aka "coffee hell") I grabbed a quick cappuccino at a little stand in the Flores-Tikal Guatemala airport (which is a one sotry concrete building with a row of benches and one luggage rack). It was the best of the entire trip and superior to much of what I find elsewhere. I'll keep looking for a godshot from a cart - haven't gotten that lucky yet!
fcardamone

Expertise: Aficionado

Posted Thu Feb 27, 2003, 11:47am
Subject: Supremo

Owen did a fine job of reconnaissance. His expert opinion is invaluable for those traveling to locations he has been. I will use him for a source in my travels and quest for a "real' cup of coffee. Great job Owen, please keep the articles flowing.
phaelon56
phaelon56

Posted Thu Feb 27, 2003, 5:37pm
Subject: Author's note - disclaimer

I gave "fcardamone" a good 30 or 40 cups of my homebrew over a period of a few months when we were training together - he may still be under the influence.
CoffeeBear92

Expertise: Beginner

Posted Mon Sep 8, 2003, 2:30pm

Hey!!!... I just made a recent trip (August 2003) to Cozumel and brought back home some Café Chiapas.... not enough, however.  I loved it and was trying to find out how i can order it online... when i found your article. it won't be awhile till i can make it back to Cozumel or anywhere near the Yucatan... but i absolutely love the full flavor and low acidity.  Que sabroso!!... I also came across Coffeelia on my first day on the isla (see attached photo)... and agree... with the presentation, cozy atmosphere, warm welcome... they served me with chipotles (not bottled!!!)... mmmm... a truly authentic experience that i will never forget!!!.. Indeed, Owen... those who seek will find.... yes, a blessing for those who persevere.

CoffeeBear92: 1 dia huevos SML.jpg
(Click for larger image)
phaelon56
phaelon56

Posted Tue Sep 9, 2003, 6:23am

Thanks for posting - really nice to see another person discover some of these things.  A few months ago I received a really nice email from the young guy with glasses who works at Cafe Chiapas - it's his father's business and he (as well as his family) was thrilled to see a nice writeup of their business on the Web.

Not sure if you bought green beans to home roast or of you bought the already roasted stuff. Here's a place that posted in this forum and sent some free samples to people - I tried one and it was excellent - my sample was the French Roast .  I don't know how their freshness is (i.e. how soon they ship after roasting) but mine was good. They specialize in Mexican Altura (high grown) like Chiapas does.

Cafe la Finca

I'll be in Cozumel for the day in mid-October and hope to get over to Caffe Chiapas to buy some more beans and visit with them. Hopefully my scuba trip will end early enough that I'll have time to do that before leaving.

Owen O'Neill
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Articles > Columnist... > Seeking Espresso...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.290240049362)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+