Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Articles: CoffeeGeek Columnist Feedback
The Basics of Ethical Coffees by Guest Author
Support Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids is a non profit charity working with farming communities around the world. Donate today!
www.coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Articles > Columnist... > The Basics of...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
submitarticle

Expertise:

Posted Fri Nov 22, 2002, 12:00am
Subject: The Basics of Ethical Coffees by Guest Author

The Basics of Ethical Coffees
by Guest Author

Becky Herndon gives us a primer on what to look for when sourcing, sampling, and buying ethical coffees as a consumer.
 View Profile Link to this post
espresso_jim
espresso_jim
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Mini Vivaldi II
Grinder: Mazzer Mini E
Drip: Technivorm Moccamaster...
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Mon Nov 25, 2002, 7:29am
Subject: It helped

Your article easily explained the differences in the terminologies used with coffee beans and growers.  I thought I knew what the terms meant and it turns out I did, but I was never really sure.  Your article helped confirm what I thought I knew.

Thanks for taking the time to write it.

Jim
blkeagl
blkeagl

Espresso: Isomac Tea
Grinder: Mazzer Mini, Solis Maestro
Vac Pot: Bodum eSantos, Silex
Drip: Whassat?
Roaster: Hottop Bean Roaster, HW...
Posted Tue Nov 26, 2002, 9:33am
Subject: Nice article...

It might have also been good to mention that 'ethical coffee' can be quite a challenge since there are many regions and farmers who cannot participate in any of the existing programs because certification is not available in their region.

Tough issues all...

Tarik
 View Profile Visit website Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Link to this post
bluenewt
bluenewt
Expertise: Intermediate

Grinder: Solis Maestro
Vac Pot: Royal Balance Brewer
Posted Tue Nov 26, 2002, 9:54am
Subject: Thanks Tarik

Good point. Some growers don't have much choice with how their beans get to market. I wrote this article for a consumer's perspective. An article from the farmers perspective is something I would leave to someone with more experience.

--Becky
blkeagl
blkeagl

Espresso: Isomac Tea
Grinder: Mazzer Mini, Solis Maestro
Vac Pot: Bodum eSantos, Silex
Drip: Whassat?
Roaster: Hottop Bean Roaster, HW...
Posted Wed Nov 27, 2002, 10:09am
Subject: Farmer's perspective...

Now that would be an intriguing article. I wish someone would write it (I sure can't).

From a consumer's perspective, the certifications and/or direct relationships info definitely help, and I'd like them to increase into more regions.

Tarik
MarkPrince

Expertise: Professional

Espresso: KvdW Speedster
Grinder: Versalab M3 Grinder
Vac Pot: A bit too many
Drip: Bonavita
Roaster: Hario Glass Retro Roaster
Posted Wed Nov 27, 2002, 1:20pm
Subject: From the Farmer's persepective

Guess what! We're actually working on this - I've been talking to a few folks who've been to origin (ie, visited the farms they buy from) and we're working on getting an article from a farmer coop in Nicaraugua (sp). Or possibily Guatamala. Stay tuned for it.
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
onocoffee
onocoffee
Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: La Marzocco Linea 2AV, 3AV &...
Grinder: 4 Mazzer Major Autos, Compak...
Vac Pot: That crazy Bodum eSantos
Drip: Bunn CWT Twin, Bunn Water...
Roaster: Petroncini The Crumb
Posted Wed Dec 4, 2002, 6:44am
Subject: Price Per Pound

I toured the Kona district this past August and noticed an average going rate of $.90 per pound of cherries - which seemed rather low to me and made me wonder why would these people become involved with a crop whose price is so low (but I come from outside the agricultural world and am unfamiliar with how these things go).

Your article made me wonder how much farmers are being paid in South America and elsewhere.  Then, when I saw the $1.26 per pound quote, it made me wonder how can Fair Trade Coffee be cheaper than Kona on the market?

How widely distributed is the $1.26 price?  I imagine that with the Fair Trade Certification requirement most farmers do not meet this specification and are being paid far less?
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Articles > Columnist... > The Basics of...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Great Espresso at Home
Curated selection of the best machines from La Spaziale, Izzo, Quick Mill, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.314172029495)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+