Articles: CoffeeGeek Columnist Feedback
SCAA Boston Day Two, Baybee!, Road Reports
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Articles > Columnist... > SCAA Boston Day...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
MarkPrince
MarkPrince
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: KvdW Speedster
Grinder: Compak K10 WBC
Vac Pot: A bit too many
Drip: Clive Coffee Drip Stand
Roaster: Hario Glass Retro Roaster
Posted Wed Apr 30, 2003, 1:00am
Subject: SCAA Boston Day Two, Baybee!, Road Reports

SCAA Boston Day Two, Baybee!
Road Reports article by Mark Prince

Mark Prince reports in yet again from the show floor at the SCAA show in Boston, this time with a comprehensive report from the trade show floor and a few seminars he dipped his head into.
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
gauperaa
gauperaa
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Euro2000 Junior, Rancilio...
Grinder: Mazzer Mini, Rancilio Rocky,...
Vac Pot: Mini eSantos
Drip: OBH Nordica King of Coffee
Roaster: Imex-CR100, Princess popper,...
Posted Fri May 2, 2003, 12:48am
Subject: Great

Great article! just a small comment, luigi lupi was 4th, not 3rd in last year's wbc.

Thomas.
coffeebeing
coffeebeing

Espresso: Isomac Zaffiro,Silvia,...
Grinder: Mazzer Mini,Rocky,Solis...
Vac Pot: Yama,Cafetino,Silex
Drip: Cusinart Brew Central,...
Roaster: Cafe Rosto, Hearthware...
Posted Fri May 2, 2003, 3:49am
Subject: Another great article..

I so regret that work kept me out of my "backyard" and I was not able to attend this year.Your articles helped fill the void I was experiencing as a result.Thanks Folks!

George W.
auerbach
auerbach
Expertise: Intermediate

Espresso: Isomac Zaffiro
Grinder: Gaggia MDF
Vac Pot: Hario Nouveau
Drip: Krups Aroma Control Therma
Posted Fri May 2, 2003, 7:36am
Subject: did you see my friend

Peter from CounterCulture Coffe there? I *think* he was going to do some panels, perhaps on relationship coffee.  He's our best (by far) local roaster.
Neku
Neku
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Vibiemme Domobar
Grinder: Mazzer Mini "E", Rancilio...
Vac Pot: Bialetti, Hellem
Drip: DRIP? are you crazy?
Roaster: IMEX Caffe Rosto
Posted Fri May 2, 2003, 9:25am
Subject: Rancilio, Mazzer

1. Recent reports on alt.coffee indicate that Rancilio is also dropping the ball when it comes to producing Rockies (or at least the quality control). I wonder if anyone at the SCAA had a chance to bring this up to Rancilio people? My e-mail to them went unanswered.

2. About the Mazzer. Strange that you would say that the Mini is too cheap at 400 $. That is still a serious sum for many of us. Are you with the geeks or the "industry" here, Mark ;) ?
MarkPrince
MarkPrince

Posted Fri May 2, 2003, 11:07am
Subject: Rancilio, Mazzer, and Coffee Culture

Hi folks. Thanks for the feedback - with 0 feedback on my Day one, I was getting worried :)

With regards to Peter from Counter Culture - yes he was there, and I got a chance to talk to him again (I first saw him last year at Anaheim). I also met two other Counter Culture crew, they are awesome.

Rancilio - I didn't bring up the Rocky issues because it wasn't on my brain at the time... but I do have to say I've had some frank dialog with Glenn Surlet at Rancilio NA since I put this up, and I'm happy with what's been said confidentially.

Mazzer. The reason why I think $400 is "too low" is because of a comparison with what else is out there. For example - the Rancilio MD40, which is an awesome grinder as well, but not quite as good as the Mini (in my opinion) is $450 or more retail. The mini is an undeniable bargain, but did you know that thing is sold close to cost to us consumers at its current price point? Some importers buy it for less, but most can't. There's also a lack of them in supply channels, and Mazzer is worried that it is selling for close to cost - vendors may not want to support it because they made no money off the sale. Vendors like Chris Coffee etc can and will because they may view it as a 'loss leader' but others won't.

I'm very cognitant of the fact that $400 is a LOT of money, don't get me wrong. But in the complex world of espresso machine importation and sales, the cheap price of the Mazzer is like shooting the product in its own foot.
Neku
Neku

Espresso: Vibiemme Domobar
Grinder: Mazzer Mini "E", Rancilio...
Vac Pot: Bialetti, Hellem
Drip: DRIP? are you crazy?
Roaster: IMEX Caffe Rosto
Posted Fri May 2, 2003, 12:16pm
Subject: Rancilio

Well, I hope Rancilio's happy with what's being very much openly discussed at alt.coffee, and with what I will write in my soon to appear review here on CG, epinions and just about any other online forum where I can speak my mind about this Rocky business. I think it's gotten to the point where, if you do a search for "Rocky" on alt.coffee, it's all about problems and people saying how they "wouldn't recommend the Rocky to anyone". Sorry if I sound pissed, but I *am* a bit pissed that they would talk to you "confidentially" and not even bother to reply to Opother or my e-mail.
MarkPrince
MarkPrince

Posted Fri May 2, 2003, 7:03pm
Subject: Rancilio and email.

I will talk to the folks at Rancilio about the importance of answering email promptly.

i also stressed that during my seminar on the Internet and web commerce. "answer your email within 48 hours, preferably within a day or less". It makes a huge difference.

Tell me via email who you sent an email to. Give me the email address you used, and the one you sent from.

Mark
espressophile
espressophile

Espresso: Isomac Venus
Grinder: Innova
Roaster: iRoast
Posted Sat May 3, 2003, 1:53pm
Subject: Rancilio prosumer?

Did they discontinue the S24 model, which I think sold for around $1700?
 View Profile Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Link to this post
milnerb1

Espresso: Vivaldi II, Isomac Tea,...
Grinder: Mazzer Mini, Solis Mulino
Roaster: Behmor 1600, BBQ drum,...
Posted Sun May 4, 2003, 5:53am
Subject: Great article...

Great article Mark.  Thanks for a few things:

- Pointing me to your great write-up on your 1-group LM.

- Filling us in on the 'scoop' on the Mini.

- Bothering to write the article during a long plane ride...shows great dilligence!

-  
I
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Articles > Columnist... > SCAA Boston Day...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.312239170074)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+