Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Articles: CoffeeGeek Columnist Feedback
A Tale of Five Tampers by Mark Prince
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Articles > Columnist... > A Tale of Five...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 3 last page next page
Author Messages
MarkPrince

Expertise: Professional

Espresso: KvdW Speedster
Grinder: Versalab M3 Grinder
Vac Pot: A bit too many
Drip: Bonavita
Roaster: Hario Glass Retro Roaster
Posted Mon May 27, 2002, 11:00pm
Subject: A Tale of Five Tampers by Mark Prince

A Tale of Five Tampers
by Mark Prince

Mark takes a look at five high quality tampers designed for the ultimate CoffeeGeek.
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
yannis
yannis
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: ECM Giotto
Grinder: Innova I1 timer
Posted Wed May 29, 2002, 7:29am
Subject: tampers vs baskets

Excellent survey Mark. I have two comments to add: 1) To my opinion the best tamper is the one which suits well your basket. Tampers should be sold as combo with the baskets and vice versa. 2) Convex face tampers are better than the flat because they fit perfectly the rounded shape of the head shower screen (at least on my Giotto).
Yannis
Foxbat
Foxbat
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Pasquini Livia
Grinder: Macap M4, Solis Maestro
Drip: Barista Aroma 8 cup
Roaster: HWP, HotTop
Posted Wed May 29, 2002, 8:02am
Subject: Inverse "rap"?

Mark,

What do you mean by your reference to the inverse "rap"? Can you direct me to where I can find a description of this technique?

Excellent comparison review! This will help when I go to upgrade my own tamper in a wee while (much recover from purchasing the Livia 90 first.)

--Bruce
 View Profile Visit website Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Contact via ICQ Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
MarkPrince

Posted Wed May 29, 2002, 11:29am
Subject: Inverse Rap.

I'll take a video of my tamping procedure, including the "reverse rap" and add it to this article, that may help. It's hard to put it in words, but video should show it easily.
coffeebeing
coffeebeing
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Isomac Zaffiro,Silvia,...
Grinder: Mazzer Mini,Rocky,Solis...
Vac Pot: Yama,Cafetino,Silex
Drip: Cusinart Brew Central,...
Roaster: Cafe Rosto, Hearthware...
Posted Wed May 29, 2002, 2:47pm
Subject: EPNW Tamper

I have a number of tampers and also found the steel, convex one from EPNW to be my favorite. With it's mass the initial tamp is almost done by just placing the tamper in the basket. Great review !
Ryan

Expertise: Beginner

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia
Grinder: Solis Maestro
Vac Pot: Yama
Drip: none
Posted Thu May 30, 2002, 11:49am
Subject: Re: A Tale of Five Tampers by Mark Prince

Good review; I hadn't heard of the EPNW tampers before.  It should be mentioned that Reg Barber does make convex tampers as well; it's an option if you order directly from him at www.coffeetamper.com
bgetchel
bgetchel

Espresso: Pasquini Livia 90 Auto,...
Grinder: Rancilio MD-50, Mazzer Mini,...
Vac Pot: Bodum Santos
Drip: Bodum Chambourd press pot.
Roaster: Alpenrost
Posted Thu May 30, 2002, 6:20pm
Subject: You know, you really need to stop...

...giving me new things to buy. You and Geek are detrimental to the health of my marriage. I had just set out to buy a RB SS convex thinking it was the last thing lacking in my handbasket only to discover that I lack yet another thing.

Don't be surprised to see the hitmen my wife hired show up at your doorstep tonight.
 View Profile Link to this post
jroche
jroche

Espresso: Silvia, Solis SL90
Grinder: Rocky, Solis 166
Drip: Cone, press pot
Roaster: dead dead dead
Posted Sat Jun 1, 2002, 6:54am
Subject: reg has both!

didn't you check into this? Both flat and curved Reg Barber have been available for quite sometime. Also you don't mention if any of the pistons work on the other brands, are they the same thread diameter? Would be nice to know if one could put a ergo on a reg or what have you
MarkPrince

Posted Sat Jun 1, 2002, 6:45pm
Subject: Reg's rounded tampers

Hey, I could only work with what I got. I didn't know that Reg had a rounded version. Plus this is an opinion, fly by my seat of my pants article, not a full blown Detailed Review. Reg is more than welcome to send me some rounded 58mm pistons, and later on I'll post a followup.
jroche
jroche

Espresso: Silvia, Solis SL90
Grinder: Rocky, Solis 166
Drip: Cone, press pot
Roaster: dead dead dead
Posted Sun Jun 2, 2002, 6:56am
Subject: Reverse flip

"The Reg Barber steel model is heavy too, but it's all bottom weight, making it seem a bit off balanced at times, especially when I do the reverse flip to knock the side of a filter basket."

Herein lies your mistake. You don't need to do a reverse at all! It's a waste of energy, the heavy bottom does the  job for you. You can do your "tap" with the base. It works great. Other style tampers are more suited to the so-called "Reverse Flip Tap" procedure. As to being off balanced in other aspects, i just don't see this and frankly, completely disagree. It's bottom heavy for a good reason. Gravity is your friend...
showing page 1 of 3 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Articles > Columnist... > A Tale of Five...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Rancilio Silvia - How to
Step by step guide for easy brewing and steaming with the Rancilio Silvia
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.274735927582)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+