Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Articles: CoffeeGeek Columnist Feedback
Why a God Shot is Fleeting by Mark Prince
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Articles > Columnist... > Why a God Shot...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
MarkPrince

Expertise: Professional

Espresso: KvdW Speedster
Grinder: Compak K10 WBC
Vac Pot: A bit too many
Drip: Clive Coffee Drip Stand
Roaster: Hario Glass Retro Roaster
Posted Sun Jan 27, 2002, 1:00am
Subject: Why a God Shot is Fleeting by Mark Prince

Why a God Shot is Fleeting
by Mark Prince

In this week's article, partially due to popular demand, Mark Prince takes another look at the proverbial God Shot, and zooms in on one of the major factors that can make or break it.
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
EricLar

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Vibiemme Double Domo
Grinder: Compak
Posted Mon Jan 28, 2002, 9:41am
Subject: The Science & Alchemy...

Thanks for another interesting & informative installment(as in more are coming?). This stuff feeds my detail-oriented nature. Knowing the how and why thing happen helps troubleshooting of the process (try making the perfect chocolate souffle without understanding the chemistry). Much like cooking I find the more I learn the less I know. Perhaps a future installment could address the effects of temperature on the extraction?
sinkr
sinkr
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Isomac Millennium-Plumbed
Grinder: La Cimbali Junior
Vac Pot: Cona Model D
Drip: Are you kidding?
Roaster: Hearthware Precision +...
Posted Tue Jan 29, 2002, 12:40am
Subject: And the little light came on...

This article, pretty-much as it states in its first two paragraphs, addresses a largely unsung part of the espresso equation: that is, the bean itself.

As Mark points out, ultimately it is the quality of each individual bean that brings about or hinders a good cup of coffee and as such, home roasting and buying high quality beans alone is not enough.

While completely common sense, it is something that I think I nor few people would have addressed, period.  I think we tend to group coffee beans (green, at least...though some people group roasted in this category) as a sort of non-spoilable, tangible substance.  That is, coffee doesn't mold or rot or go "bad" in a sense that we are familiar with.  Not like milk going sour, bread going moldy, etc...

Therefore, I must state that I am totally knocked-back at this insight and more largely the article and information therein.  I definitely will be inspecting my beans both before and after the roasting process.

Its one more factor to consider, a little more time spent, but in the end, we're all here because we're coffee aficionados--not because we're trying to get the fastest espresso possible.
 View Profile Visit website Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Contact via ICQ Link to this post
jroche
jroche

Espresso: Silvia, Solis SL90
Grinder: Rocky, Solis 166
Drip: Cone, press pot
Roaster: dead dead dead
Posted Wed Jan 30, 2002, 2:56pm
Subject: Other factors more important

I would argue that many other factors are significantly more important than a *few* bad beans in a bunch. I also think you should blind cup samples to see if you can actually tell if there is a difference, otherwise its only conjecture. I do pull a few beans, mainly ones that did not get roasted and fell early into the alp hopper. Or if one just jumps out at me as not belonging w/ the rest.

Anyway, my point is unless one's skills are really honed and every factor in your extraction is on the money you won't see a god shot. It just seems misleading to suggest that scarce GOd shots are due to a few bad beans. The first paragraph just seems wrong to me.

But, as usual, you offer great insight and food for thought.

john
MarkPrince

Espresso: KvdW Speedster
Grinder: Compak K10 WBC
Vac Pot: A bit too many
Drip: Clive Coffee Drip Stand
Roaster: Hario Glass Retro Roaster
Posted Wed Jan 30, 2002, 6:59pm
Subject: Re: Other factors more important

John,

The reason for this article wasn't to single out bad beans as the solitary reason why espresso shots might come up short. It's purpose was to show one possible factor that can ruin a shot, one that can be completely out of your control. And only one of many factors. Skill could be the blame. Equipment as well... and many many others. For this article, defective beans was my choice subject. :)

Also, I have tasted shots made with "stinker" beans. They do leap out. "Stinkers" is an industry-wide recognized term, and their existance is a scientifically proven fact too - I've seen the results of chemical analysis on the "stinker" beans (read the Illy book to see them), and it does contain elements that greatly reduce the quality of the cup - all from one bean!
SnakeOil
SnakeOil

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia
Grinder: Rocky Doserless
Vac Pot: Reg Barber Tamper
Drip: Or so My Wife says ;o)
Roaster: HeatGun
Posted Tue Dec 30, 2003, 4:24am
Subject: Re: Why a God Shot is Fleeting by Mark Prince

Im a Newbie to the whole esspresso thing. I find the whole idea of "God Shots" intriguing.

To me a God Shot would be the absolute best shot you can ever make in your lifetime with the rest that come oh so close id call an "ArcAngel". The one that stands out from the crowd. The one you can remember everthing about except how you pulled it off. The one that you made and you have no idea exactly what you did that was different. Maybe you were rushed not paying attention but as soon as the that beutiful liquid starts flowing into the cup. You "KNOW" its something special, try as you might you can never recreate it and you can see the work of Gods hands right there in your cup. You can taste it, you Live it. You may come close, very, very close. If you are lucky you may even exceed the previous "what you thought was a "God Shot"". Then you have a new goal to attain, so was that one really a God shot? ................................

You must always try harder Grasshopper.

I havent pulled one off yet maybe I never will. I have made a few which have been the best I have ever made but i know there is always that one better.

Im not trying to put any one here on coffeegeek down or aggrivate anyone as Im sure the stuff I make is Pig Swill in comparison and I'd dearly love to try some of the columist's coffee one day. Its just what "I" define as a God Shot not the official definition. I have probably set a goal I can never attain but in the process im going to enjoy some damn fine coffee, trying to achieve it. When I do get to experience it, it will have been made by someone else probably my wife. ;o)

The CoffeeGeek site is great I visit it every evening trying to learn all I can and the result is that my average shot quality is getting better. Always in pursuit of the "Perfect One".
There are so many variables in espresso any one of them being out of wack will rob you of the elusive God Shot. Bad beans just being one of them.

Cheers
SnakeOil
 View Profile Visit website Contact via ICQ Link to this post
coffee_wine_ismylife

Grinder: Virtuoso
Vac Pot: Bialetti Moka Pot
Drip: NONE
Roaster: The Genei, Gene Cafe
Posted Tue Dec 30, 2003, 6:57pm

Great article, thank you.  Very educational.  Admittedly, I do pay enough attention to the details that you mention.  I should.  I will try.

Travel, Coffee, Wine, & Hockey is my life!
 View Profile Link to this post
coffeebasher

Posted Wed May 30, 2007, 8:25pm

edit - extremely offensive post removed

A person by the name of coffeebasher, logging in from what appears to be an Washington State based IP address, has been posting attack posts on the coffeegeek boards this evening. His posts have been removed. Please do not respond to these kinds of posts, but let a moderator know about this abuse, and we'll deal with it.
 View Profile Link to this post
CraigA
CraigA

Espresso: PID/PressureMod 2001...
Grinder: BUNN FPG-2 DBC, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Bodum Santos manual, Yama 5...
Drip: Behmor BraZen, BUNN VPR-APS,...
Roaster: Refurb Behmor 1600, BBQ...
Posted Thu May 31, 2007, 9:22am

coffeebasher Said:

edit - extremely offensive post removed

A person by the name of coffeebasher, logging in from what appears to be an Washington State based IP address, has been posting attack posts on the coffeegeek boards this evening. His posts have been removed. Please do not respond to these kinds of posts, but let a moderator know about this abuse, and we'll deal with it.

Posted May 30, 2007 link

What I always do!..
That's exactly what I did upon seeing the 3 posts just sitting there (before I called it a night). The 1st one for over 1 hr from the post time, till I caught it. I reported it as soon as I saw that garbage (the 1st or 2nd post), & over 2 hrs later as I kept rechecking., they were still there!!
I finally went to bed @ just over 1:30am..
Cheers...

http://twitter.com/CoffeegeekCraig
http://www.facebook.com/craig.andrews.169

Excellent coffee doesn't just happen!
 View Profile Visit website Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Contact via ICQ Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Articles > Columnist... > Why a God Shot...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.315525054932)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+