Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Articles: CoffeeGeek Columnist Feedback
Artistry in a Cup, Fullfilled. by Mark Prince
Support Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids is a non profit charity working with farming communities around the world. Donate today!
www.coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Articles > Columnist... > Artistry in a...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
MarkPrince

Expertise: Professional

Espresso: KvdW Speedster
Grinder: Versalab M3 Grinder
Vac Pot: A bit too many
Drip: Bonavita
Roaster: Hario Glass Retro Roaster
Posted Thu Jan 10, 2002, 1:00am
Subject: Artistry in a Cup, Fullfilled. by Mark Prince

Artistry in a Cup, Fullfilled.
by Mark Prince

Finishing up the search for the elusive "God Shot", and answers to why $100 espresso cups are justified.
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
AtlantaAdMan

Expertise: Aficionado

Posted Fri Jan 11, 2002, 5:38am
Subject: Now all we have to do.......

Now all we have to do.......is get people who don't share our coffee obsession to come here and read this!!!

Mark.....if this article (and it's predecessor) don't push the casual coffee drinker over the edge and into the search for the god Shot.......I don't know what will!
EricLar

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Vibiemme Double Domo
Grinder: Compak
Posted Fri Jan 11, 2002, 11:40pm
Subject: Quickly as you can, snatch the bean from hand...

So this series will never end right. I've had my Sylvia for a couple weeks and I'm already lusting after a Livia 90. But you're helping the obsession. Master each step. The roast, the grind, the pull. It's a never ending journey. Or maybe someday after lots of practice, one sip and I'll disappear in a flash of light. Thanks for the article. Great work. Hopefully you'll shorten my trip to the god shot.
MarkPrince

Posted Tue Jan 15, 2002, 7:57pm
Subject: Re: Quickly as you can, snatch the bean from hand...

Your wish is my command, Eric :-)

I just finished reading the Illy Espresso Chemistry book for a second time, and that knowledge, tied in with what I know from practice (and being trained, and observing, and learning) are going to be the basis behind the next few articles... what influences a "God Shot". I hope you enjoy them...

First up... Lippids! Woo Hoo!
ZenWarrior
ZenWarrior
Expertise: I live coffee

Posted Sun Jan 20, 2002, 6:23am
Subject: Re: Quickly as you can, snatch the bean from hand... [Burr grinders?]

First, a little site feedback. Although it is early and I have not had my coffee, it might still be easier to find where one replies to the original article and not to others' replies. I see only where I can post a response to others' comments and not to the original article itself. (Oops, nevermind. After posting, I see replies are not threaded. Right?)

Second, I take exception with you assertion that only a $100+ grinder will do. I do agree with the comment about the cheap electric grinders, but what about a good hand-operated burr grinder? One can typically be had for $50 or less. My own is a German-made beauty from the Zassenhaus firm.

Yes, using a hand-operated grinder is much more work, but isn't everything about superb coffee? People seeing me grind and brew my coffee (french-press, of course) think it cannot be worth the trouble until they partake and realize they had not tasted such an excellent cup of brew in a very long time. What's the author's take on the beautiful old-fashioned burr grinder?
 View Profile Visit website Contact via ICQ Link to this post
liveshot

Expertise: Advanced

Posted Tue Jan 22, 2002, 7:18pm
Subject: Cost v. Quest

I wonder if the quest for the God Shot is so much a function of price?  Certainly it can't be done with low grade equipment, but the artistry aspect of pulling liquid deity almost demands some measure of frugality, does it not?  Perhaps this is where home roasting enters.

That said, I very much enjoyed the "espresso as journey" flavor of the article(s).

As for the cups, if I can get a God Shot in an old thimble, I'll take it.  But there is something about the Sistine Chapel...
MarkPrince

Posted Sat Jan 26, 2002, 3:13am
Subject: Re: Cost v. Quest

I LOVE that quote, liveshot... That's awesome! :-)

Zendude: we're trying to work out bugs and possibly redesign the entire dboard system. What you're using now is our first attempt at completely coding from scratch a discussion board software backend, and front end (what you see). No borrowed code, no third party software or programming. We're learning :-)

Mark
Milo

Expertise: Intermediate

Posted Wed Dec 18, 2002, 2:52pm
Subject: 3 days fresh?

It all sounds great.

Know any suppliers in South Wales, UK who could get the beans to me within 3 days?
TriXaddict
TriXaddict
Expertise: Intermediate

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia
Grinder: Solis Maestro
Vac Pot: None
Drip: None-Several press
Roaster: Local @ Strawhousecoffee.com
Posted Tue Jan 21, 2003, 6:20pm
Subject: The Holy Grail

What would God use if he were to pull a shot of espresso as his chosen cup? The Holy Grail-a carpenter's cup, I would pressume, and not a ceramic alien. I do believe that espresso will be on the menu in heaven though. And the little aliens are the coolest things on this planet.
 View Profile Link to this post
MarkusA

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Isomac Venus
Grinder: Demoka Minimoka
Posted Fri Apr 6, 2007, 1:31pm
Subject: Re: Artistry in a Cup, Fullfilled. by Mark Prince

Espresso Testimony:

I just pulled myself a double before reading this piece. It was very nice, but no God shot by any means. (I reckon you can't have God shots between Good Friday and the morning of Easter Sunday... :D) But after it was gone, I got a glimpse of grace in the aftertaste: Dark chocolate. Loud and clear. I just remembered why I drink espresso.
 View Profile Link to this post
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Articles > Columnist... > Artistry in a...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.284934997559)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+