Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Articles: CoffeeGeek Columnist Feedback
Why I Hate Home Espresso; Why I Love Julie by Aaron De Lazzer
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Articles > Columnist... > Why I Hate Home...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 6 last page next page
Author Messages
jester

Expertise: Professional

Posted Sat Jul 26, 2003, 12:00am
Subject: Why I Hate Home Espresso; Why I Love Julie by Aaron De Lazzer

Why I Hate Home Espresso; Why I Love Julie
by Aaron De Lazzer

Aaron De Lazzer gives us the full monty this week, holding nothing back on his loves and hates about the coffeegeek universe and a certain Barista named Julie.
 View Profile Link to this post
mise_en_place

Espresso: Expobar Brewtus II
Grinder: Pasquini Moka; Rocky DL
Drip: Technivorm CDGT
Roaster: Intelligentsia
Posted Sat Jul 26, 2003, 8:06am
Subject: So very ture.

One of the best articles I've read on CG.  We don't seem to have a cafe culture in the US or Canada as they do in France and Italy.  What we did have probably vanished with the Beat Generation and MacDougal Street
handcannon

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: PIDed Zaffiro
Grinder: MCI, Innova, Zass, Capresso
Drip: Capresso Aroma Classic 461
Roaster: Modded FR & WBs
Posted Sat Jul 26, 2003, 10:41am
Subject: Julie

My kind of woman.  I'll have to try her 'move' tomorrow.  Great article.
joey

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Oscar
Grinder: Mazzer Mini
Drip: Chemex
Roaster: Behmor
Posted Sat Jul 26, 2003, 11:22am
Subject: Re: Why I Hate Home Espresso; Why I Love Julie by Aaron De Lazzer

this is a darn good article.  nice work.
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
jester

Posted Sat Jul 26, 2003, 11:43am
Subject: so far so good

Mark was pretty sure that after this article I would have to change my name and go into hiding fearing that I would invoke the ire of many readers...so far we're still all friends here, phew.

Thanks to everyone that has written in on both my articles, as well as the other columnists written works.  Awesome that you take the time to comment, thank you again.

Aaron

P.S. Where and what is the significance of MacDougal Street?  Am I showing my age?
mise_en_place

Espresso: Expobar Brewtus II
Grinder: Pasquini Moka; Rocky DL
Drip: Technivorm CDGT
Roaster: Intelligentsia
Posted Sat Jul 26, 2003, 11:55am
Subject: MacDougal Street

MacDougasl and Bleeker Streets in Greenwich Village.  Back when the village was still an Italian enclave, there were many coffee houses located here.  They became the hang-outs of the "Beatnicks" .
coffeecorralgal

Expertise: Beginner

Posted Sat Jul 26, 2003, 3:12pm
Subject: Bravo

Read it all the way and even printed off portions, "best part of the coffee was the company" and "What you look for in a Barista".. a new shop owner (doors to open soon) looking for all kinds of info to make this happen both financially & personally.  The best tips I got is you gotta love people and brew the best you can.  Strive to educate and go boldly...thanks for the "uplifting" article.  I can even picture Julie..very well written.
Aly
MarshallF
MarshallF

Espresso: LM GS/3 MP
Grinder: Mahlkonig ProM; Baratza...
Vac Pot: Hario Nouveau, Bodum ESantos
Drip: Clever Dripper
Posted Sat Jul 26, 2003, 6:21pm
Subject: My Sentiments, Too

Hope this isn't too long. I posted it to alt.coffee 2/5/03:

"There is a current thread noting (once again) that Italians don't
participate in a.c. The answer, as so many have said, is that espresso
is taken for granted in Italy. It is simply a part of daily civic life and not something to be obsessed over through a computer.

For most of us most of the time, having a good espresso means
performing a meticulous ritual at home, often alone. We worry about
freshness, grind, weight, tamp, color and shape of the pour, duration of the pour, volume in the cup, color of the crema, .... And then we pour it out and start over again, if it's not perfect.

In the U.S., at any rate, buying an espresso at a shop is, if anything, usually even more stressful. We come into the store with a chip on our shoulders, expect the worst, and usually get it.

I had an outside meeting this morning that made it impossible to bring my Thermos of coffee to the office and still enjoy it while it was
decent. So I treated myself to an espresso at Peet's.

It was their new (and only) espresso blend ("Forte"). The barista was well trained and dedicated to her work. Two deep gold mousetails of crema poured from the Faema into the demitasse. I took it outside and sat at a table on their patio. The coffee was very good, even if it wasn't a godshot. But the 75F Pasadena sun and the view of the San Gabriel Mountains were lovely. People sat around me, some reading, some chatting and some, like me, just enjoying the experience. Life was good.

I think this is how espresso is meant to be enjoyed."
fookoonetwork
fookoonetwork
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Pasquini Livia 90
Grinder: Pasquini Moka 90, Anfim...
Vac Pot: Royal Balance Brewer
Drip: none
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Sun Jul 27, 2003, 1:23am
Subject: beat like a drum?

I don't know the specifics of the Iron Barista contest, but have a hard time believing that if the contest had to do with straight espresso, not a cappuccino, that Dismas Smith could beat Mark like a drum.  If so, then Mark needs more practice.  

The overall tone of the article seems to be quite condescending to us poor home espresso fanatics who can regularly beat the commercial stuff in our local cities like a drum.  No I am not talking about latte art, just the straight out espresso - in which there is no place to hide.  

The beauty of a commercial machine is that it is just a lot easier to use than the home, near commercial espresso machines.  Having played around with one at the July 19th SCAA open house, I came away with the feeling that given an afternoon or so that I could zero the machine and do comparably to most baristas who were using exactly the same machine and grinder.  I would certainly not be as fast or have the deft touches with the tamper.  

I will pass on the social aspect of espresso, but would state that the company and/or ambience would have to be very interesting to overcome lousy espresso that is, unfortunately, the norm in your business.
Latt3rt
Latt3rt

Espresso: LM FB-70 4 gr.
Grinder: Mazzer Major
Vac Pot: no
Drip: fetco
Roaster: intelligentsia
Posted Sun Jul 27, 2003, 9:48am
Subject: right on

I never give up trying to give each cafe a chance.  when you find that moment of enthusiasm about espresso, life is good.
showing page 1 of 6 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Articles > Columnist... > Why I Hate Home...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Don't suffer bad espresso
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, VBM, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.267328023911)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+