Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Articles: CoffeeGeek Columnist Feedback
Vancouver: Where Coffee Trainers Go To Die by Aaron De Lazzer
Support Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids is a non profit charity working with farming communities around the world. Donate today!
www.coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Articles > Columnist... > Vancouver: Where...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 3 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
champignon
champignon
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: La Cimbali Jr. DT/1 Rotary;...
Grinder: 2 Cimbali Jr. Grinders; 1...
Vac Pot: Hario Deco 3; Hario Deco 5;...
Drip: Melita cone, used during...
Roaster: 1lb Gas Fired Drum Sample...
Posted Thu Jul 3, 2003, 8:12pm
Subject: Randomly bought espresso is no worse than randomly chosen food!

Hi Aaron,

Thanks for you response.  Of course I wish I could just go into any cafe and get a good espresso.  That is almost true of Italy, outside of the areas that cater primarily to tourists, but it isn't true of anywhere else I can think of.

I see coffee as a food item, and making espresso as akin to cooking.  Even if you know what you are donig, if you cook long enough you will have the proverbial souffle that doesn't rise on cue.  And this assumes you had a clue about what you were doing when you made it in the first place.

Granted, Vancouver has a much higher culinary standard than many cities, especially N. American cities.  Nonetheless, randomly walking into restaurants in Vancouver can be hazardous to your taste buds.

Why should we expect it to be any different with espresso than it is with food in general?  If anything, I'd expect a mediocre restaurant to know how to make a hamburger or a grilled cheese sandwhich, but I would not expect a marginal cafe to know how to make a decent espresso.  It is more difficult to do the espresso than it is to do the grilled cheese sandwhich, so this is why randomly purchased espressos tend to SUCK.

Best,

ken
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
cheapdialogue
cheapdialogue
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Marzocco Linea 3AV
Grinder: Espresso- Mazzer, Drip-Bunn
Vac Pot: I  can still dream...
Drip: Curtis APS
Roaster: Dreaming of a Probat
Posted Fri Jul 4, 2003, 11:43am
Subject: If there are so many faults why don't we see more quaking?

I think that shops do make mistakes here and there. I often let people know (about one out of every three) that if they aren't satisfied with their drink in any way to let me know and I will gladly remake it. I say this even knowing  the drink is good. It's my way of letting people know that it is OK to have a different standard of quality.
However, I don't think it is fair to bash these shops on bad drinks and possible lack of training. You can't blame them for leading you on. After all, I get calls at home all the time for "free home inspection services" my email is full of 'free' offers. Can you imagine how many calls my business gets for 'free' stuff? Insurance quotes, samples, air purifiers, bookkeeping ect. My business partner and I get ALOT of free offers via phone. I think your service sounds excellent, but if you were to cold call me without me knowing you? hmm...I'd be suspicious that you were on the same boat as the CutCo knife guy with his free demonstration..."no obligation to buy, but look at these catalogues after I show you how crappy your knives and skills are".
Egos, especially in small coffeeshops, can be terribly fragile. Perhaps instead of telling them the shot is wrong, or worse yet, walking away with a foul taste and pictures- you should tell them that you "like your double ristretti with a darker crema...please."  
I like this article, I'm not bashing you. I just think that it's easy to be an expert and find flaws in people who you are (on one hand) telling them something is bad (and on the other) "I can help you...FOR FREE!". That's why salesman are usually everybody's friend- they empower you to help yourself. It's hard to take criticism from someone you don't know from Nick Nobody.

It's all quite the trick, isn't it?

If you want to come down and train us...I'll sing some praises your way!
;)
 View Profile Visit website Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Link to this post
jester

Posted Fri Jul 4, 2003, 8:02pm
Subject: Clarification required

Dear Cheapdialogue,

I think you have misunderstood me.  When I was doing the cold calling it wasn't completely out of the blue.  I was calling customers that were using the coffee from JJ Bean.  I worked for JJ Bean as their inhouse trainer etc.  The service I offered really was free, by buying JJ Bean coffee you got me as well.  It was also genuinely valuable as any roaster will tell you they have a vested interest in training people to show their coffee in the best light possible.

Currently my situation is completely different.  I am on my own.  I don't solicit business through cold calls.  If people bring me in it has been based on a recommendation/referral or they have connected with me in conversation or liked what I write.

The feedback I suggest in the article is not free advice as I feel you assume.  It is as simple, plain and matter of fact as "I'm disappointed, I didn't have a great espresso here today."  If you as a heads up barista encourage and create opportunity for dialogue as you suggest (i.e. "How was the coffee?") that facilitates the communciation-all good.  I as the customer don't feel frustrated and you as a student of coffee(we all are) get valuable information.  All good things.

I think you are spot on about the fragile egos but egos notwithstanding to request  something like you suggest (I like my double ristretti...) is unrealistic in my experience.  If they dialogue with you on  that level I have no doubt that they're probably doing a pretty good job to begin with.
Kudos for following up a drink that you've made with a request for feedback, good-bad?  Would you like to me remake it?  All things that I hear and see far too infrequently.

Thanks for the comments.  I am always interested in what people are doing and would love to see where you are and what you are doing should I be in the area...wherever that is.
 View Profile Link to this post
cheapdialogue
cheapdialogue

Espresso: Marzocco Linea 3AV
Grinder: Espresso- Mazzer, Drip-Bunn
Vac Pot: I  can still dream...
Drip: Curtis APS
Roaster: Dreaming of a Probat
Posted Fri Jul 4, 2003, 8:49pm
Subject: Phew...

I was under the impression that you were either cold calling or took the year off to make the calls. My misunderstanding there. I concur that specific training from your roaster provides insight unique to the blends that they offer.
I think we both agree that communication is at the heart of the quality improvement issue. How one goes about that is probably up to each person.
Thank you for following up on my confusion about the article. I feel relieved to know you weren't writing from a cold call stance.
Feel free to visit (I'm just inviting disaster here) my partner and I have a shop only 30 minutes south of the border in Bellingham, WA. We're in the process of refocusing on quality so we're changing our roasters and also redoing the floors. If you want to stop by though...we'd love it. (What am I doing inviting you and Mark down to our shop with less than six months under our belts?!? ack.)
 View Profile Visit website Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Link to this post
MarkPrince

Espresso: KvdW Speedster
Grinder: Versalab M3 Grinder
Vac Pot: A bit too many
Drip: Bonavita
Roaster: Hario Glass Retro Roaster
Posted Sat Jul 5, 2003, 7:50pm
Subject: Mark

Mwhahahahahahahahahahahah!

I'm there, dude! :)
james66

Expertise: Intermediate

Posted Tue Jul 8, 2003, 4:01am
Subject: Preaching to the converted

Giving you the layperson's perspective, I think your biggest obstacle is that the general public does not know the difference between good and bad coffee.  I would argue that for many it's not even about the coffee at all -- it's about the social aspect of being with friends, seeing people, etc.
The majority of businesspeople are going to be driven only by the necessity the are made to feel by their customers, and if their customers are blissfully unaware of any defect in their cup of coffee, then what?  
Unfortunately, in this particular forum you're preaching to the converted.  The question is how to reach the unconverted (by unconverted I'm talking about the uneducated consumer, not coffee shop owners and baristas).
Good luck with your mission.
James
jester

Posted Tue Jul 8, 2003, 5:23pm
Subject: but are the converted spreading the gospel?

Hi James,

Thanks for sharing the layperson's perspective and the encouragement with the "mission."  We're always looking for recruits.
Now maybe I need to consider another way to skin the cat but...  
For sure if we waited for Joe Average to drive change in the coffee business we would be waiting a long time.  Is that because their palate is no good?  I don't think so.  I think that the majority of people out there who like to go for coffee and discuss things other than coffee (I have no idea what they talk about) will perk up if you served them truly great coffee.  
Currently there is so much pseudo "specialty coffee" out there it is unbelievable.  For less than a buck I can get a cup of Tim Hortons coffee.  Not specialty, it is a solid donut shop coffee.  If I go around the corner to saaaaay Blenz that has all the trimmings of a boutique coffee shop I can pay 1.5 times that for a coffee that is no better and arguably worse.
No palate education has taken place and nothing has happened to make Joe Average consumer think paying more for a coffee gets them more, or creates an experience that redefines how great a cup of coffee can be.
Recently a friend called me from a noteworthy shop in Vancouver.  She called to tell me how good the coffee was.  It cost no more than anywhere else in town although it tastes twice as good as everywhere else.  There is nothing special about my friend other than she drinks and likes coffee.  The cup of coffee she had, had impact.  It is a matter of  the positive aspects of a cup of coffee being so undeniably obvious I can't help but go out of my way to give these people repeat business.
A genuinely better cup of coffee will reach the unconverted IMHO-full stop.
Here's where the CoffeeGeeks come in.  The people selling coffee will see no need to improve what they do if no one says something that prompts them to change.  This is where the converted need to step up and make some noise.
I also liked very much your point about going for coffee being about more than the coffee itself.  Wait for my 3rd article. :)
Thanks again for your response.
Aaron
james66

Expertise: Intermediate

Posted Wed Jul 9, 2003, 8:38am
Subject: Average Joe and the average Joe

But are the converted spreading the gospel?  That's the point.  How to make the average Joe realize that his "gourmet" coffee is just a cup of average Joe.  And then, let him taste a sensational cup of coffee.  Ever think about coffee tastings, ala wine tastings?
Side note:  you can't get too down, especially when you think how far coffee has come in the Sates in the past twenty years.
Keep up the good work,
James
jonnocan
jonnocan
Expertise: Beginner

Espresso: Faema Compact A
Grinder: Mazzer Mini, Saeco MC 2000...
Vac Pot: Vintage Cona
Drip: Don't use one
Posted Thu Jul 10, 2003, 9:26am
Subject: Well put

And you're right. JJ Bean makes excellent  coffee. I just wish I could get it in Toronto. Having it shipped from Vancouver all the time is a pain.

Over all, too many people settle for over-roasted, bitter, foul coffee. So it is there fault. If no one buys it, the seller need to wonder why, eh?

And as for training, I also agree. I got most of my training right here. Thank you very much.

jonnO in TorontO
javajueckstock
javajueckstock
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia V3
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Vac Pot: na
Drip: aeropress,
Posted Sat Apr 17, 2004, 6:39pm
Subject: Re: Vancouver: Where Coffee Trainers Go To Die by Aaron De Lazzer

Aaron, your article was great,  live in the Lansing, Mi area and I cannot find a good espresso anywhere.  I have started asking for double-short latte's, just so there will be enough espresso to taste it through the foamy, airy milk.  

I make espresso at home, but with nothing except the memory of one cup of heaven at Intelligentsia Coffee in Chicago two years ago, I don't even know if I would recognize good espresso anymore (I assume mine is good, but to someone who knows coffee, it may be swill).  

Here's my question, aside from books, and I have a few, how can I learn what I need to know to advance in my skill level?  Are there reputable trainers in this area, or do you ever make missionary trips to this part of the world?  I would very much like to move forward, but I am at a plateu with no "coffee gurus" in the area.

Thanks for any help or advice you can give.

Kurt Jueckstock

P.S.  
Background:  I currently have a Starbucks Barista machine (Saeco) but I am buying a Rancilio Silvia in two or three weeks, and a Rancilio Rocky in a month or two.
showing page 2 of 3 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Articles > Columnist... > Vancouver: Where...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Rancilio Silvia - How to
Step by step guide for easy brewing and steaming with the Rancilio Silvia
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.238817930222)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+