Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Articles: CoffeeGeek Columnist Feedback
Coffeegeek Etiquette & The Ristretto Shot by Aaron De Lazzer
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Articles > Columnist... > Coffeegeek...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 3 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
plod
plod
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Silvia
Grinder: Rocky
Roaster: heat gun
Posted Tue Oct 26, 2004, 10:12pm
Subject: Re: Coffeegeek Etiquette & The Ristretto Shot by Aaron De Lazzer

I make double ristrettos at home.   My only experience with ordering one at a cafe was a bad experience.  The girl, who had only been trained for a few months told me there was no such thing as a "double ristretto".   She said the way it was made it had to be a single ristretto.    I watched in dismay as she let the shot run for about 10 seconds then pulled the cup away from the pour and placed it before me.   I was too shocked to argue with her.   Never again!!
 View Profile Link to this post
RuthlesSpy

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia
Grinder: Rancilio Rocky
Drip: Mr. Coffee
Posted Fri Nov 19, 2004, 3:20pm

...I'm still puzzled and confounded as to how a "Ristretto" is produced.....

meh......-_-` I NEED HELP! A! PLEASE!!!???
 View Profile Visit website Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
RuthlesSpy

Posted Mon Nov 22, 2004, 6:15pm

fine...i'll just crawl into the diseased little hole i call home.. : |
 View Profile Visit website Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
brentling
brentling
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: wega, fiorenzato
Grinder: Growing collection of...
Drip: yes people call me that...
Roaster: collection building...
Posted Mon Nov 22, 2004, 6:56pm

RuthlesSpy Said:

fine...i'll just crawl into the diseased little hole i call home.. : |

Posted November 22, 2004 link

Crawl with the knowledge that there is more than one way to produce the ristretto...

As a rough rule, a double ristretto is around 1.5 ounces (45 ml) in the time it would normally take you to pull a standard double (2 ounces / 60 ml).

Some produce a ristretto via a change in the grind - this works for a home or multi grinder situation well. The other common method I have observed is to pack more coffee, tighter to achieve the same result.

It is not achieved by simply stopping the pour at the desired volume.

From my reading, the ristretto gets lumbered with a lot of hype, which doesn't help it's cause. Followed, as evidenced by this thread, with people ordering ristrettos and getting crap. I have ordered a ristretto maybe three or four times? all at the same cafe, and prefaced with the question "is now a good time for a ristretto?" The barista, whom we get on well with has made two. Both good - the other times he said no, and gave me a standard espresso. I had a barista tell me the other day he was making me ristrettos - he was failing, I told him to stick to espresso...

Best place to experiment, therefore, with ristrettos - in the safety of your own home!

Hope that helps, and of course I could be completely wrong...

Brent
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
RuthlesSpy

Posted Tue Nov 23, 2004, 7:02am

hmmm...intresting....right...thanks for the help...any more could be quite useful...

now that I think o' it...I possibly could have stumbled upon making a ristretto on several occasions...but simply never knew what I created...LOL
brentling
brentling
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: wega, fiorenzato
Grinder: Growing collection of...
Drip: yes people call me that...
Roaster: collection building...
Posted Tue Nov 23, 2004, 6:53pm

RuthlesSpy Said:

hmmm...intresting....right...thanks for the help...any more could be quite useful...

Posted November 23, 2004 link

um no problem...

RuthlesSpy Said:

now that I think o' it...I possibly could have stumbled upon making a ristretto on several occasions...but simply never knew what I created...LOL

Posted November 23, 2004 link

ah I think many people are in the same boat - I certainly was for a while...
DR

Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Nuova Simonelli Mac 2000
Grinder: Bunn, Nuova Simonelli Doser,...
Drip: Bunn
Roaster: Ambex
Posted Sat Jan 1, 2005, 2:37pm

I own a small shop in a college/tourist town. All the time we get people coming in asking for one drink or another that is beyond "a cup of coffee". This always presents a problem. A "double cap"to one person is- double the coffee to milk , another means 2 caps one big cup and another wants extra milk. What is a ristretto? Is it always defined by all people the same way? Can I measure % of soluables,grind, time,temp,pressure, etc.and know that its a ristretto as opposed to a short shot?
At this point I simply ask each to explain their terms.Most of the time this satisfies all involved. Occasionally some will look at me like I'm stupid.
 View Profile Link to this post
pstam
pstam

Espresso: ECM, SAN MARCO, EURO 2000
Grinder: MAZZER
Vac Pot: YES
Drip: YES
Roaster: YES, HOME STYLE
Posted Mon Mar 21, 2005, 4:39am
Subject: Re: indeed

MD Said:

My point is that we use their language (ristretto) but have altogether different attitudes, similar only in appearances; appearance cut's it here, but not in italy, where it's in the cup where it belongs.

Posted December 16, 2002 link

That is all I would say about.  Great!  Thanx.

I would say again that those coffee geeks can make their own coffee drinks at home, as they like, but not to expect to get it in a commercial situation.  It is really not necessary, nor reasonable to do it, at least for a commercial situation.

pstam: kaffalogo.jpg

Peter in Beijing
-------------------
http://www.kaffa.cn/
-------------------
I am looking for the way and the place to extend our trainning courses.
 View Profile Visit website Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
captainconor

Espresso: Cimbali Junior
Posted Mon Apr 4, 2005, 8:37pm

Great article. I am a ristretto lover and I must say I have not found many places, apart from my own house, where one gets a proper ristretto.
Two  places in Brisbane, one in Ft Lauderdale, one in Belfast, and I have tried many I must say.

A trick to get the perfect ristretto, I believe, is to really pre-heat the cup,of course, but then let the first 4-5 secs of extraction to run away and then put cup under to get your perfect ristretto!!! The first amount of hot water heats up the grind and then and only then is the extraction perfect.

Conor
 View Profile Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
kiwicafehead
kiwicafehead
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Gaggia Carezza/Expobar...
Grinder: Rocky Rancilio
Posted Wed Apr 20, 2005, 4:31am

That is right on the money. Sure, it's a the barometer of quality however it's far far more frequently the fast track to disappointment. Still, fairytales do exist and if you stop kissing toads, you may never meet the prince.

Shayne
showing page 2 of 3 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Articles > Columnist... > Coffeegeek...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.28642988205)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+