Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Articles: CoffeeGeek Columnist Feedback
SCAA 2006 Charlotte Final Day Report, Road Reports
Rancilio Silvia - How to
Step by step guide for easy brewing and steaming with the Rancilio Silvia
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Articles > Columnist... > SCAA 2006...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
MarkPrince

Expertise: Professional

Espresso: KvdW Speedster
Grinder: Versalab M3 Grinder
Vac Pot: A bit too many
Drip: Bonavita
Roaster: Hario Glass Retro Roaster
Posted Sun Apr 9, 2006, 11:00pm
Subject: SCAA 2006 Charlotte Final Day Report, Road Reports

SCAA 2006 Charlotte Final Day Report
Road Reports article

This one is going to be one of CoffeeGeek's longest ever articles - the final day report from the Charlotte conference compiled from 30 pages of unreadable notes, 325+ photos, and lots of airplane and Iceberg Vodka induced scribbles.
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
spinnaker007
spinnaker007
Expertise: I like coffee

Posted Tue Apr 11, 2006, 1:18pm
Subject: Re: SCAA 2006 Charlotte Final Day Report, Road Reports

Hey Mark,

Thanks for your daily updates and too cool photos at Flickr.  I followed them tirelessly throughout this past weekend, and they made me feel like I was there among the crowds.

Cheers!

Steve
 View Profile Link to this post
Grounds

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: La Marzocco GS3
Grinder: Mazzer Mini E
Vac Pot: Balance Brewer
Drip: No thanks
Roaster: Gene Cafe
Posted Tue Apr 11, 2006, 4:40pm

>Apparently, some people within the SCAA - namely the old school, "mired within the 1980s corporate structure" types - don't like the fact that Rob Stephen would "dare" to go on the Portafilter and CoffeeGeek podcasts. Didn't like that Rob was speaking "outside official media channels". Put down the podcasts as amateur, innappropriate forums.

You're kidding right?!  I listened to your podcast last night and came away with a very positive impression of SCAA and what Rob is considering. He had a great attitude and I sure wish him all the best. If you're right with the above info you would have to wonder why he'd want to even bother if he has to endure that kind of old-school politics. Sounds like the types you refer to need to take a chill pill - or just quit and let the new guard get on wirth it (and that's a lot better language than the line I wrote about them needing a mental-enema, but decided to delete!)
MarkPrince

Posted Tue Apr 11, 2006, 5:17pm

Absolutely not kidding about it. Apparently, it was brought up at the SCAA's "town hall meeting" on Monday. I know Nick attended. Because I was not there, and only was told about this by a person very high up in the SCAA, I don't want to print the name of the person who raised the objection. If Nick wants to do it, since he was there first hand, that would be good.

I'm not entirely sure if the person who raised the objection is an SCAA member or a committee member, or has even higher ties to the SCAA in the past or present. I just know that it's the type who wants all comm. to come from the president and ED through oldstyle channels.

I also believe a couple of other forums, notably one with a lot of deep convos re speciality coffee, were mentioned during this objection.

Mark

CoffeeGeek Senior Editor
www.twitter.com/coffeegeek www.flickr.com/coffeegeek, www.instagram.com/coffeegeek (you get the picture)
e61brewski
e61brewski
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: isomac tea, riviera lever
Grinder: mazzer major, isomac gran...
Vac Pot: dirt devil lx
Drip: wouldn't dare
Roaster: i-roast
Posted Tue Apr 11, 2006, 9:52pm

mark:

thanks for the linkage, and a very nice roundup. you are one guy i didn't get to meet -- and should have.

the scaa thing smacks oddly of the poorly informed, calcified, old-school mentality at any number of "titan" organizations i can think of who are faced with dramatic changes from a small wing of people who "get it" (i work for big media, so the whole blogging/online/real time news environment comes to mind as something my business has been slow to embrace). at the same time, the pushers of grassroots, small-time, straight-to-the-people technology often seem to be eager to overstate their importance in the grand scheme of things (i.e. bloggers trying to pump up the irrelevance of newspapers, for example).

i'm not saying you or anyone else has done this, but that's always the risk. to me, this anecdote underscores (a) the goofy curmudgeonliness of an industry that's out of touch with its most innovating faction, and (b) the stark disconnect i see even at a joint bash like this past weekend -- the establishment seems remarkably disconnected from the people pushing the limits of the craft, right down to the sponsors on the competition. that a guru would join you guys on the airwaves is a small sign that maybe there are lucid minds in the scaa machinery.

p.s. more competition video posted at the blog.

the blog: http://ben.szobody.com
 View Profile Visit website Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Link to this post
orianm42
orianm42
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Brewtus II, Silvia
Grinder: KA Proline, Doserless Maacap
Roaster: Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster
Posted Thu Apr 13, 2006, 6:41am

Mark:

Enjoyed the perspective, podcasts and coverage from Charlotte.  I most enjoyed the seeing the photos of Intelligentsia’s Amber Sather and Ellie Matuszak.  I recently had the opportunity to attend Intelligentsia’s one-day espresso training class and experienced the infectious Intelligentsia experience.  The instruction I received from this dynamic duo was amazing.  It’s good to see them get some of recognition they deserve.

Rob Combs
 View Profile Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
MarkPrince

Posted Sat Apr 15, 2006, 10:57pm

So.... who voted this article a 2? Who voted it a 1? And which two of you voted it a 3?

Was this article so bad. Hrmph.

(btw, thank you to the seventeen who voted it a 10! ;)

Mark

CoffeeGeek Senior Editor
www.twitter.com/coffeegeek www.flickr.com/coffeegeek, www.instagram.com/coffeegeek (you get the picture)
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Articles > Columnist... > SCAA 2006...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.253750085831)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+