Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Articles: CoffeeGeek Columnist Feedback
Exploring Irish Coffee by Arthur Wynne
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Articles > Columnist... > Exploring Irish...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
Author Messages
Foxbat
Foxbat
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Pasquini Livia
Grinder: Macap M4, Solis Maestro
Drip: Barista Aroma 8 cup
Roaster: HWP, HotTop
Posted Mon Nov 6, 2006, 4:46pm
Subject: Re: Exploring Irish Coffee by Arthur Wynne

That was a great read! Excellent history, easy to follow recipe, and a super-sounding signature drink. I look forward to more!

Bruce Harlick
Game Designer, Writer, and Editor
ICQ #4166560
www.newblackboard.com
 View Profile Visit website Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Contact via ICQ Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
jliedeka
jliedeka
Expertise: I live coffee

Grinder: Rocky Stainless
Drip: Technivorm, Chemex,...
Roaster: Behmor, heat gun
Posted Tue Nov 7, 2006, 5:09pm

Great article.  I've never made Irish coffee but I want to now.

I think it was Van Morrison who said that Irish coffee has all four food groups: alcohol, caffeine, fat and sugar.  Sounds good to me.

Jim

Cafe todo el dia, tequila toda la noche
 View Profile Link to this post
dankbean
dankbean

Espresso: mine
Roaster: self
Posted Wed Nov 8, 2006, 7:14am

I recently discovered a downtown Irish pub that carries my alltime favorite Irish whiskey: Powers.

Can somebody say FIELDTRIP???  :-)
 View Profile Link to this post
reporternick

Posted Tue Nov 14, 2006, 9:57am

Hey -
That’s some good information about Irish Coffee – quite informative. I wrote a story for Whole Latte Love about the history of Irish Coffee last year – the same information but I managed to get an interview with Michael Carden, the General Manager of the Buena Vista Café in San Francisco. Check it out http://www.wholelattelove.com/articles/irish_coffee.cfm
Carden was an extremely hospitable character – made you feel like you’d known him for years!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
pstam
pstam
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: ECM, SAN MARCO, EURO 2000
Grinder: MAZZER
Vac Pot: YES
Drip: YES
Roaster: YES, HOME STYLE
Posted Fri Nov 24, 2006, 2:39am

Thanks for the information, specially for the history.

I have two questions for it,

1. Someone heat the glass, and someone even burn the whiskey, like us.  We believe that it tastes better if burnt and has less spirit.  It is more like coffee, not a cocktail, if burnt.

2. As I imagined, it was made of brewed coffee, including press.  But, I tried to make it with drip coffee for a time, during which I got claimed by an middle-aged European lady for its weak taste of coffee.  After that, we turnt to make it with caffe americano, espresso with hot water.  What is wrong with the coffee?

Any suggestion?

pstam: 图像033.jpg
(Click for larger image)

Peter in Beijing
-------------------
http://www.kaffa.cn/
-------------------
I am looking for the way and the place to extend our trainning courses.
 View Profile Visit website Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
TopoTail

Espresso: ECM Giotto
Grinder: Mini Mazzer
Vac Pot: Nope
Drip: Melita (for camping trips)
Roaster: Haven't gone there
Posted Sat Dec 2, 2006, 7:36pm

The San Francisco Chronicle ran a long article on the Irish coffee at the Buena Vista last week, prompted by the news that the bar has switched from a private brand made by the Cooley distillery to Tullamore Dew, a  mass produced whiskey. The article went on and on about the booze end of the drink, but, and I'm sure you can all see this coming, there was no reference whatever to the coffee in the Buena Vista's Irish coffee.  Nothing. Nada.

Why should anybody care about the coffee? Coffee's coffee, right?

--Richard Reynolds
MarkPrince

Expertise: Professional

Espresso: KvdW Speedster
Grinder: Versalab M3 Grinder
Vac Pot: A bit too many
Drip: Bonavita
Roaster: Hario Glass Retro Roaster
Posted Sun Dec 3, 2006, 2:44am

TopoTail Said:

The San Francisco Chronicle ran a long article on the Irish coffee at the Buena Vista last week, prompted by the news that the bar has switched from a private brand made by the Cooley distillery to Tullamore Dew, a  mass produced whiskey. The article went on and on about the booze end of the drink, but, and I'm sure you can all see this coming, there was no reference whatever to the coffee in the Buena Vista's Irish coffee.  Nothing. Nada.

Why should anybody care about the coffee? Coffee's coffee, right?

--Richard Reynolds

Posted December 2, 2006 link

It's a long fight for sure Richard, but we're winning the battles, slowly and surely. I mean that 8 page spread in the LA Times a few weeks ago definitely made up for the Chornicle's goofgaff, no?

Mark, who's glad we highlighted the coffees we used for this article.

CoffeeGeek Senior Editor
www.twitter.com/coffeegeek www.flickr.com/coffeegeek, www.instagram.com/coffeegeek (you get the picture)
zix
zix

Espresso: Vibiemme Domobar
Grinder: Minimoka M-205
Roaster: Heatgun, popper, oven,...
Posted Fri Dec 8, 2006, 2:42pm

Thanks for the article! It is always fun reading about stuff you can do with espresso, other than just cappas and lattes.
Having a bit of friday relax at home, we thought we would do a scotch coffee... Wifey just had a phone call - she is talking as I am writing this - and I sat down for a quick CG read, and had to laugh when I saw the title of this article. Coincidence?
Anyway, I´d just like to share this *very* simple recipe. Whisky in coffee has been something of an acquired taste for me, even though I love both drinks on their own. Perhaps mostly because we almost only buy scotch? Tonight it was especially good though, and this is what we did: one double espresso, this one was a home roasted yirgacheffe (a fantastic but slightly different-from-norm yirg that was bought through a group buy on the TMC forum).
Took out the rather peaty and smokey Ileach from the cupboard, immediately (but very carefully) poured it in via a tablespoon and down the side of the cup. As little contact with the crema as possible, just pouring it straight down the cup will destroy all crema. First cup was perhaps 2-2.5 cl of whiskey, which was a bit too much. Second cup we poured slightly less than 1 tablespoon of whiskey in. That was just about right.
No stirring, and drink it quickly because whiskey (and, I guess, other liquor) eats crema, and fresh yirg crema disappears quickly enough as it is... Tasted great! To my taste buds the combination also yielded a slightly nutty flavour inbetween the earthy african coffee and the strong, smokey whisky.
So, to make an unnecessarily long story short: our quick scotch coffee has no cream, just a double espresso and whisky poured over a spoon. Only a little whisky!

/Mats
 View Profile Visit website Contact via ICQ Link to this post
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Articles > Columnist... > Exploring Irish...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Rancilio Silvia - How to
Step by step guide for easy brewing and steaming with the Rancilio Silvia
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.254290103912)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+