Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Articles: CoffeeGeek Columnist Feedback
So you say there's a Guild?, BGA Files
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Articles > Columnist... > So you say...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 3 last page next page
Author Messages
xristrettox
xristrettox
Expertise: Just starting

Posted Wed Dec 3, 2003, 11:00pm
Subject: So you say there's a Guild?, BGA Files

So you say there's a Guild?
BGA Files article by Billy Wilson

A new movement, which some call part of the "third wave" of quality coffee is starting, and Billy Wilson gives you the scoop.
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Barefoot
Barefoot
Expertise: Professional

Posted Thu Dec 4, 2003, 4:14pm
Subject: Re: So you say there's a Guild? by Billy Wilson

So this barista walks into this Guild meeting...

HAHA so anyway Hey Billy! Good job on the Guild article! And congrats on your new move to Stumptown. You are living la vida java! amigo!

So who here is gonna join the guild?

Andy     BGA member 0005
Barefoot Coffee Roasters

^<>^
Double cup of love
MarshallF
MarshallF

Espresso: LM GS/3 MP
Grinder: Mahlkonig ProM; Baratza...
Vac Pot: Hario Nouveau, Bodum ESantos
Drip: Clever Dripper
Posted Thu Dec 4, 2003, 5:38pm

Perry is a skilled competitor and trainer, and obviously has passion for the art of the Barista, yet she has no visible presence in the Guild, nor has she indicated any interest in the Guild. The SCAA has an active Barista bulletin board, but Perry's voice is not heard there, nor here in CoffeeGeek's community forums. I recognize that no one is compelled to join the Guild (or to participate in the online Barista community); but it will be harder to advance our craft unless the established (and award winning) Baristi are all on board. It would be a boon to have Perry taking an active role, and I am sure the hand is always extended, should she choose to get involved.

Everyone who's met Heather knows what a great representative she is of baristi. She's just a joy to watch at her work and pulls a super shot. But at this point I believe she is dealing with the first year of law school and might still be helping to manage her dad's shops on top of that.

But she'll be doing her stuff at the SCAA Open House in two weeks. I'll ask her then.
 View Profile Link to this post
paulsdatter
paulsdatter

Espresso: only at work
Grinder: Solis Maestro Plus
Vac Pot: 2 oldies, LOVE EM!
Drip: pour-over melita
Roaster: big ole Probat
Posted Thu Dec 4, 2003, 6:14pm

About the Heather thing, that is Billy's take on it, bless him. But I would hate for anyone to think that the Task Force complains about Heather.
She can do whatever the hey she wants! I hope she doesn't feel singled out here; the last thing we want to do is alienate her. (We think she rocks. Wow, law school! What a gal.)
We have talked about her, but we also have talked about others we really want on the team....like Billy...and a bunch more. All in good time! I mean we just got started right?
And remember, we got Dismas. He's nothing to sneeze at, having ranked sixth in the WBC 2002.

Welcome one and all...keep an eye out for more info..it will come, don't worry.

And thanks for the article Billy! Will you be Mr. July for the Boys of the Barista Guild calendar? Just a little side project I'm thinking about.....hmmm just kiddin....maybe not.

best,
trish(the lechy old one)
jim_schulman
jim_schulman
Expertise: I live coffee
Posted Thu Dec 4, 2003, 6:34pm

Great piece! I have a few thoughts:

• Unlike roasters, baristas work in the public eye. So it would be neat if members had some sort of pin or badge that would let people know that they are getting someone competent at the machine. Maybe down the line, a sticker for stores, saying all their employees are members. The better cafes, for instance those that support the US and Canadian championships, could be contacted; I'm sure they would be willing to run with this.

• It would be very useful if competing in barista championships entailed guild membership. For instance, those making it a few rounds could have their accreditation requirements waived or even get free membership. Along with a non-trivial skills accreditation to qualify, this would bring the best shot-pullers into the guild, and make it attractive to businesses wanting to accentuate quality coffee.

But these are minor points; I'm just glad this is happening. The barista guild is a big step towards creating a vibrant market for great coffee in North America.

Jim Schulman
www.coffeecuppers.com
MarkPrince

Espresso: KvdW Speedster
Grinder: Versalab M3 Grinder
Vac Pot: A bit too many
Drip: Bonavita
Roaster: Hario Glass Retro Roaster
Posted Thu Dec 4, 2003, 7:11pm

paulsdatter Said:

And remember, we got Dismas. He's nothing to sneeze at, having ranked sixth in the WBC 2002.

Posted December 4, 2003 link

I sneeze at Diz all the time. My ears get tickly and I get the sniffles. :)

Mark

CoffeeGeek Senior Editor
www.twitter.com/coffeegeek www.flickr.com/coffeegeek, www.instagram.com/coffeegeek (you get the picture)
cheapdialogue
cheapdialogue

Espresso: Marzocco Linea 3AV
Grinder: Espresso- Mazzer, Drip-Bunn
Vac Pot: I  can still dream...
Drip: Curtis APS
Roaster: Dreaming of a Probat
Posted Thu Dec 4, 2003, 8:00pm

I was at the NASCORE meeting. I signed up for the guild, but sadly I haven't enough time to follow the BBS or even 'geek as of late. I really wish someone would get something going email-wise. Put together a mass email just to let everyone know what' s up.
I've found about 12 people up here that would be interested, but haven't anything to pass on to 'em besides Andy C's email addy.
I'm still excited about the guild, but six months later and this article is the first I've heard of anything about it.

- Alexarc -

www.theblackdrop.com

"Be seeing you..." -#6
 View Profile Visit website Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Link to this post
Drumlin72

Posted Thu Dec 4, 2003, 9:24pm

Billy~

Thanks for the update on the BG. I have spoken with Sandy about it when I see her each month at our Barista Jams.  I do not think that the BG will be dominated by the "Pacific Northwesterners" the midwest is full of eager individuals who take pride in becoming a better Barista.  I am one of them. I have been a Barista for 3 1/2 years but never realized the magnitude of the espresso business.  It is a science, an art, a passion that I realized that I had only dipped my pinky toe into when I attended my first Barista Jam in May.  Now I crave any information that I can get to make my customers happy and I take great pride in the drinks that I prepare for them.  I worked in Social work for 10 years and quit my job last December to become a full time Barista.  I took a major pay cut but it was worth it. I love the creativity and joy I get when the shot, the milk, a great design all fall into place and the customer has a look of "I've died and gone to heaven" on their face. I am learning every chance I get to become more informed of the seed to cup process.  The Barista Guild is an important step and I willing to do what I can to get the word out.  

Thanks again,
Kim
xristrettox
xristrettox

Posted Fri Dec 5, 2003, 7:35am

I just want to say that these are my opinions, and not the thoughts of Coffeegeek nor the Barista Guild.

billy wilson
ws

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Gaggia Baby Twin
Grinder: Mazzer Mini
Posted Fri Dec 5, 2003, 8:30am

I just want to have an easy link to a list of guild members and where they're working.

ws
showing page 1 of 3 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Articles > Columnist... > So you say...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.315497159958)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+