Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Articles: CoffeeGeek Columnist Feedback
McEspresso Comes to Town, Professionally Speaking
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Articles > Columnist... > McEspresso Comes...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 3 of 3 first page previous page
Author Messages
strange_attractor

Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: If I were a rich man ...
Grinder: Russell Hobbs Classic Mill...
Drip: none - use a Bodum French...
Roaster: none
Posted Mon Jan 5, 2004, 9:49pm
Subject: Re: McEspresso Comes to Town, Professionally Speaking

Ahh, the McCafe Experience is spreading. We, in New Zealand got some of the earlier ones a number of years ago. I must say, here they didn't have the same kind of anti-superiority attitude as yours seemed to have, the marketing was very keen on marketing the idea that they passionately care about their coffee through every stage of production. I still remember one of the lines on the traymat "[the beans are] roasted with the same care you would give a newborn baby". I'm sure you can see why I remembered it (n.b. they don't even roast their beans, they get big bags of Faggs beans).

Like Australia, New Zealand is a fairly espresso-obsessed country - our *$ is of reasonable quality (still the weird dark roast though - and why are *$ beans insanely more expensive than any others?). I'd say $* is fairly superior to McCafe, which in turn is inferior to any of the real cafes, but better than your average eating place who thinks that it would be styley (sp?) to own an espresso machine. The espresso has crema, but it is a little lacking in body. And if you order a Long Black, you get heaps of water, so you hardly notice the coffee anyway.

Never, ever (having given up on the coffee) order a hot chocolate, the powder they use tastes strangely like soap.

The atmosphere and decor tend to be pretty good though, on the whole, apart from the high levels of ambient noise inherent in being, well, a McDonalds. And they seem to play the same CD for a whole year, it seems. It's quite interesting: McDonalds is really trying to raise their image here at the moment, making pseudo-gourmet meals (gourmet aeroplane food), serving salads and other healthy things. Is this the same everywhere?

I haven't tried the brewed coffee, perhaps I should.

Well, off for some real coffee :) mmmmmm

RGB
 View Profile Visit website Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
CoffeeGuy
CoffeeGuy
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Various Including La San...
Roaster: Diedrich IR 24
Posted Wed Jan 7, 2004, 9:49pm

Very interesting article Peter.  Thank you.  If memory serves me, I recall several years ago a few McDonald's in my state (WA), tried using super automatic machines and found this concept didn't work.  However, they continued to serve SBC coffee as drip.  Now that Starbucks has purchased SBC, I wonder if the Mickey D's are trying something with Starbucks.  Humm, I wonder?  Personally, I haven't noticed any here yet, but I guess it's just a matter of time.  I agree with your accessment regarding Baristas; they should have a knowledge about coffee, and what beans are in the blends that they serve.  Fact of the matter is, I find that many owners (not all), have no idea what's in their blends either.  By the way, you are not a coffee snob, you're a roaster.  If you don't know good coffee, who does? (SMILE).  I too am a roaster.  I'm sort of the "David" amongst the land of "Goliaths" here in the northwest.  I find that I'm always learning something new.  That's what makes things more interesting and exciting every day.

Again, good article.

Thanks

"Where Coffee Reigns"
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
puck

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: la pavoni
Grinder: mazzer mini
Posted Thu Jan 8, 2004, 10:47pm
Subject: Re: McEspresso Comes to Town

Just a small point, the first (US) McCafe was in Chicago in June of 2001, on Wabash.  It was the owner/operator's idea to have a euro-style cafe adjoined to her McDonald's restaurant.  With its lace curtains and wrought iron furniture it didn't do very well, never mind the thin and tepid coffees.  Interesting piece, particularly in your summary points.
 View Profile Link to this post
AndyL
AndyL
Expertise: Pro Barista

Espresso: 2 Synesso,1957 urania lever
Grinder: 2 Robur E, Robur, K10
Vac Pot: Hario
Roaster: 5kg Renegade
Posted Sat Jan 31, 2004, 3:27am

THE IDEA ABOUT LUKEWARM COFFEE
Interesting article. The idea with lukewarm coffee is not just about the lawsuit. The idea about lukewarm coffee is more about the flavour. When the milk is too hot you can't taste the entire flavours. When soup is lukewarm there is also more flavour. You can taste the stock, vegetables and detect each individual flavour. The same goes for coffee. I believe, when you drink coffee, it  should be, the first slip is hot but drinkable, second slip you detect the flavours and the third you enjoy the total experience. When coffee is too hot the milk isnt as sweet and your tongue can only feel the heat not the flavours.
MatthewB
MatthewB
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Silvia
Grinder: Moulinex
Vac Pot: Bodum french press
Drip: Starbucks Quattro
Posted Mon Mar 29, 2004, 8:19pm

Well I have to say that was a very interesting article, and just for curiosities sake I would like to give this McCafe a try.  Good job on the article though, I especially like the description of the McCafe employee Bonnie

"She had a take-no-prisoners kind of cheerfulness…"

Seriously I have never heard it put better to describe that distinct character found at such establishments, well said.
 View Profile Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
Instaurator

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Azkoyen 3 group
Grinder: Azkoyen "Cappriccio"
Vac Pot: No
Drip: last used in 1984
Roaster: Probat
Posted Thu May 6, 2004, 5:31am

Peter

I really enjoyed your article about McCafe and your sense of humour.  I feel a bit sorry for poor Bonnie.  Hopefully she doesn't read coffeegeek.com?!

Just a quick note regarding Mcafe.  The first McCafe's actually started in Australia quite a few years ago now and there are hundreds of stores here.  The reason they serve a flat white is because of  this Australian origin.  A flat white has been up until now peculiar to Australia and is a standard drink served by almost every one of the thousands of cafes throughout this big sunburnt land.

Its origins as far as I have been able to discern are ironically in this case, a result of the instant coffee culture that was introduced to Australia in the second world war by wait for it: American GI's on tour downunder.

With instant coffee most Australians used to add milk to it and it became exactly that: a white coffee that was very flat (no froth).

After the war with many Italian immigrants,espresso coffee culture gradually became embedded in Australian culture (almost to the point now where Australia is close to overtaking Italy in Espresso machine market penetration) but customers often asked not for a Cappuccino or a Caffe Latte but a white coffee with no froth ie a "flat white".

This has subsequently been confused by European barista's (I really don't like the pretentious word "baristi") and trainers like my great friend George Sabados who grew up in his father's shop serving espresso based coffees and who knew only about cappuccino's and caffe lattes and had no idea what someone meant when they asked for flat white and so served them a caffe latte instead.  So now the line is blurring by 1/2 to 1 centimeter of milk froth.

Flat whites have actually morphed into caffe lattes downunder.  The two drinks are now pretty much interchangeable except a caffe latte is usually served in  glass and 'Flat White' is served in a ceramic cappuccino cup.

Kind Regards

Instaurator
ant

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: sunbeam em6910
Grinder: sunbeam em0480
Vac Pot: hario syphon
Roaster: 1kg sample roaster at work
Posted Thu May 6, 2004, 7:43am

Just fishing for a reply about macchiatos here in aus.

I've noticed that on coffeegeek and from the italian tourists that i've served, a macchiato to their definition is more of a 1:1 ratio of espresso to foamed milk freepoured, but my old bosses taught me that a macchiato was just espresso stained with a dollop of foam?

Can someone tell me of the origin of both styles?  Are both correct?

I'd also like to know- while I'm bringing up these weird definitions..

What then, makes the difference between a macchiato (1:1 style), and a cortado with hot milk?  

and, a big thanks Instaurator for your background of where a flatwhite came from! :)
 View Profile Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
showing page 3 of 3 first page previous page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Articles > Columnist... > McEspresso Comes...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Craft Roasted Coffee
Some days you make the coffee. Other days the coffee makes you.
bit.ly/craftroasting-ks
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.398236989975)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+