Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Articles: CoffeeGeek Columnist Feedback
McEspresso Comes to Town, Professionally Speaking
Coffee Kids
Help folks who help folks in coffee producing nations.
coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Articles > Columnist... > McEspresso Comes...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 3 last page next page
Author Messages
MarkPrince

Expertise: Professional

Espresso: KvdW Speedster
Grinder: Compak K10 WBC
Vac Pot: A bit too many
Drip: Clive Coffee Drip Stand
Roaster: Hario Glass Retro Roaster
Posted Tue Dec 9, 2003, 1:00am
Subject: McEspresso Comes to Town, Professionally Speaking

McEspresso Comes to Town
Professionally Speaking article by Peter Giuliano

Providing CoffeeGeek with it's first ever "Professionally Speaking" feature article, Peter Giuliano gives us his pro look a the new McCafe and what it means for specialty coffee.
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
farber55

Expertise: Aficionado

Espresso: Isomac Amica
Grinder: Mazzer Mini
Drip: Chemex
Roaster: Hearthware Precision
Posted Wed Dec 10, 2003, 5:24am
Subject: Re: McEspresso Comes to Town, Professionally Speaking

Great article. Nicely written.
 View Profile Link to this post
sharp11
sharp11
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Gaggia TD / silvia
Grinder: rocky
Vac Pot: -
Drip: -
Roaster: popcorn (prima)
Posted Wed Dec 10, 2003, 6:08am

nice article, Weve had these 'McCafes' in England for a while. Possibly the McDonalds marketing bods figuered the europeans would be more receptive to 'cafe culture'. The US version sounds alot nicer than mine (im in Leeds uk). First off the coffee is all from a superauto and predictably bad, and the decor is horrible. Sadly this place is full every morning, dont people relize theres a cafe nero just down the road selling actual coffee? Is it becouse people are really threatened by the cafe 'ambience'? would fully grown intelligent adults rather sit drinking a 'mclatte' in a room that smells of burgers and has no charecter atall (despite the pseudo art on the walls and pseudo music piped in)? If so this is a worrying situation! its the cafe equivalent of listening to kenny G. As for me ill stick to a cafe where the coffee is good and the staff are genuinly friendly, none of the false 'good morning how may i facilitate you coffee experiance today?' crap! in my opinion the mcafe (or at least my mcafe) is 'false' coffee, 'false' service in a 'false' environment creating an absolute 'non-experiance'.

ben

Info about me, Jazz Guitar, Soundclips and Transcriptions
www.geocities.com/benmcdonnelljazzguitar
phaelon56
phaelon56

Espresso: LM 4 group , Isomac Tea,...
Grinder: Major, Super Jolly,...
Vac Pot: Bodum Santos
Drip: Fetco, Melitta
Roaster: Sivetz , Diedrich
Posted Wed Dec 10, 2003, 7:12am

There's been a US prototype for awhile now - probably over a year. It's part of the glitzy 42nd Street McDonalds in NYC. I took a few pics there but it was so unlikely looking that I didn't even bother trying a drink.  Perhpas we should be all be thankful that Mickey D's is trying to demystify the whole espresso business - they might just create more willing converst who will gladly pay a bit more and line up to get the real thing at independent cafes once they come to recognize the difference.

Owen O'Neill
CaliforniaCaffiend

Espresso: Isomac Rituale
Posted Wed Dec 10, 2003, 8:31am

Excellent article Peter.  Thanks!

Not that I'm supprised that I'll have to steer clear of McCafe!  I think it safe to say, fast food employees shouldn't make espresso!
doppiodan

Expertise: Intermediate

Espresso: Tea, Silvia
Grinder: Mazzer Mini, Innova con/dl
Roaster: fr+
Posted Wed Dec 10, 2003, 9:34am

Very good article! No surprises really...I mean, what do you expect? I'm actually surprised they DON'T use a superauto, and maybe they should. Hey Peter, I read your history at the bottom of the article and found out you're outta San Diego. Well, so am I. I'd be really interested to hear your comments on the coffee scene here, especially from a roaster's perspective. I definitely remember passing Pannikin all the time going up PCH to my favorite reef break, but only went in once or twice. Since I roast my own beans, I don't buy locally that often. When I do, it's usually at Caffe Calabria. I have generally had really good experiences there, but some mixed results using their roasted beans. During the recent firestorm, I found Calabria closed due to ashfall. So I descended into the pit where I knew Moto is. What a killer location! In the industrial/ghetto convergence zone just E. of downtown. Almost-hidden door with no description. I was stoked walking in, then realized there's no bar, at least up front. There's a 2 lb min. bean order, they must not cater to retail, I assume? They do have several espresso blends. The dude at the counter was very cool, chillin', casual. He described the character of each blend and I ordered the giro d' italia. i was hoping to be impressed, but was underwhelmed. I would love to have another local source of beans, but these wouldn't do. Any comment on their roasting quality/bean selection/consistency/freshness? Also, what's up with the little room at the back with the sweet posters and the 2-group E-61 machine, grinders, etc? I got the feeling it's only for employees. The place seemed to have potential, but also didn't seem to invite customers, either.
dan
coffeetaster
coffeetaster

Posted Wed Dec 10, 2003, 12:53pm

Excellent article Peter.

I have been to the McCafe in the shopping center Iguatanu in Sao Paulo, Brazil.  The experience was very much the same as Peter described - however they were using a Nescafe powder machine for the Cappuccino and Latte beverages.  

Actually, during this visit I was with a friend from Nestle Switzerland, who informed me that the coffee quality out of that particular powdered machine is very low.  He stated that there were higher quality options for powdered beverages within the Nescafe line, and the higher quality products are actually very good.  However the McCafe was using the low quality ingredients.

We were served our espresso shots, which were accompanied by a cinnamon stick and small chocolate drop.  These beverages were dispensed using the semi-automatic espresso machine, possible the La Chimbali that Peter describes.   Our coffee has a thin crema, but a strong burnt character overpowered the bitter-sweet coffee aroma.  After the espresso cooled enough for us to try and savor the character, we each added the chocolate drop to our drinks at about the same time to help the flavor along.  I began to use the decorative cinnamon stick to mix the choco-espresso in hopes of making a better flavor.  I must admit that this story does seem very negative, it is not intended to be - the quality of the beverage was comparable to a novice trying to make a new product for the first time.  Given time, I'm sure McCafe will improve.

The menu board was specific to McCafe, along with the uniforms.  Even though the coffee bar was attached to a McDonalds restaurant, the uniforms, menu board, atmosphere, and theme were all separate and individual to McCafe.  

One must be very careful, for when a coffee person is in a producing country, we all know the quality expectations are very high.  Espresso is the beverage of choice within Brazil, and every office, restaurant, and cafe has a good quality espresso machine and a good espresso blend.  So you can only imagine that any coffee brewed less than par would really stand out.

Anyway, a great article and story by Peter.

Cheers!
Spencer
Paul_Pratt
Paul_Pratt

Espresso: Marzocco SMAL + GS
Grinder: Vulcano
Drip: Pourover cone works best for...
Roaster: Probat
Posted Wed Dec 10, 2003, 6:56pm

Good article.  McCafe seems to have died here in Hong Kong, they opened with a mixture of Rex Royale super-autos and semi-auto Pavonis.  Their coffee supplier was found lacking when asked to to a better product on offer to the regular McD coffee.  Also they opened at a time similiar to Starbucks when the local press was still in a spin over Starbucks and they TRASHED McCafe. It is bizarre but in Asia McD's is not seen as a bad thing - people love it here and by not doing it properly I think they missed out on a huge oppurtunity.

I understand now that they are getting help from Aus/NZ McD's where I believe the concept originated from so that they can try again - still using the same equipment and suppliers.  Many moons ago they were seriously looking at taking Lineas and Swifts off me.  

As I said their potential in Asia is enormous, only if they do it properly that is.
BellaJava
BellaJava
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Livia 90 Auto
Vac Pot: Silex, Cory, Hellem, Cona,...
Drip: Chemex
Roaster: Alp, FR+, HWG
Posted Wed Dec 10, 2003, 7:00pm

Very well written article with some surprises but personally I would rather be seen sipping swill at Starbucks than the McDoogle Cafe. I mentioned to a few workmates about the new offering from McDoogles and the kindest response I got was when they couldn't comment due to a laughing fit.

Part of going out for espresso or other coffee drink (vs. at home) is enjoying "people watching", one of my (and my wifes') favorite things to do while sipping a cuppa.  I have a feeling that the same people who frequent McDoogles will be the same variety that begin to visit the Cafes... Not worth watching, IMHO.

Bella
 View Profile Visit website Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Link to this post
coffee_wine_ismylife

Grinder: Virtuoso
Vac Pot: Bialetti Moka Pot
Drip: NONE
Roaster: The Genei, Gene Cafe
Posted Wed Dec 10, 2003, 7:03pm

Well, thanks for taking 1 for the team.  I suspected as much.  Very nice article.  I don’t think that I would be going there anyway, but thanks for saving me some hard earned money.

By the way, a question: did you try any pastries/sweets?  Are they of good quality or your standard McDonald’s type food?  Thanks…

Travel, Coffee, Wine, & Hockey is my life!
showing page 1 of 3 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Articles > Columnist... > McEspresso Comes...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.299281835556)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+