Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Articles: CoffeeGeek Columnist Feedback
illy "Gets It" again - thicker espresso cups by Mark Prince
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Articles > Columnist... > illy "Gets It"...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 6 of 6 first page previous page
Author Messages
espressionist
espressionist
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: GB-5 2-group
Grinder: Robur-E
Drip: Pourover
Roaster: Intelligentsia
Posted Wed Feb 18, 2004, 2:41pm
Subject: Re: illy "Gets It" again - thicker espresso cups by Mark Prince

Amidst the groans of “will this topic never end”, I revive this thread only to let those of you interested
know that the program “The Medici : Godfathers of the Renaissance” airs tonight on PBS (check local
listings).  

While I’m sure this is not in any way a coffee related topic it may be of interest to those of you who have
followed the sidebar discussion here and to those who prefer their history short, sweet and entertaining.

With sincere apologies,
Geoff

www.credocoffee.ca
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
John_Thawley

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Pasquini Livia 90, Nuovo...
Drip: Technivorm Moccamaster
Posted Wed May 19, 2004, 1:42pm

MarkPrince Said:

illy "Gets It" again - thicker espresso cups
by Mark Prince

Mark Prince is a serious illy art cup collector - up to 50 sets at last count, and recognized by the New York Times (and illy) as one of the prominent collectors in North America. He takes a look at some changes afoot in the illy cup world.

Posted December 12, 2003 link

Mark, I also am a collector of Illy cups. I lost count of number of sets some time ago. :) I have also ventured off into some of the old logo styles and prototypes. Needless to say, while an expensive hobby, the cups make for great conversation.

My kitchen is stocked with ALL Illy logo cups, espresso, cappucino and mugs. While the thickness is excellent (run them under hot water prior to use).... I would argue those that opt for the La Marzocco cup, you CAN NOT discount the esthetic design of the Mateo Thun designed cup of Illy. To hold an Illy cup is to hold art in your hands. It is by far one of the most pleasingly designed objects on the planet. It's shape, the handle and it's pedastel like presence on the saucer is pure poetry.

The cup is PERFECT.

Thanks for the great review.

John

PS: I won a photo contest with this image... the contest required theme was "Black on Black."

John_Thawley: perfect.jpg
(Click for larger image)
dalton
dalton
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Isomac Tea, Francis! X5,...
Grinder: Mazzer Mini, Solis Maestro...
Vac Pot: Bodum Santos
Drip: Bodum 1 cup, many presspots
Roaster: Z&D
Posted Wed May 19, 2004, 2:22pm

Hey John,
Very nice picture.  Which cup is that?  (My guess is that it's from the "Non" series).

Best,
Dalton

By the way, you can see pictures of some of the cups in my small but growing collection at my website: daltonrooney.com

John_Thawley

Posted Wed May 19, 2004, 5:35pm

dalton Said:

Hey John,
Very nice picture.  Which cup is that?  (My guess is that it's from the "Non" series).

Best,
Dalton

By the way, you can see pictures of some of the cups in my small but growing collection at my website: daltonrooney.com

Posted May 19, 2004 link

Ah... you would be correct! :)

I notice you have the Dreams and Conflicts cup... is that the single cup or did you stumble across some bar sets. I was able to get both cap and espresso bar sets. They're very cool.

I just recently acquired a Fellini "Fred & Ginger" single collection cup.

Great stuff.
dalton
dalton
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Isomac Tea, Francis! X5,...
Grinder: Mazzer Mini, Solis Maestro...
Vac Pot: Bodum Santos
Drip: Bodum 1 cup, many presspots
Roaster: Z&D
Posted Wed May 19, 2004, 6:00pm

RE:  Dreams and Confilcts - I had planned on getting the single art cup at some point, but never did.  It isn't reproduced quite exactly in the bar cup series.   I'll probably scan eBay and pick one up one of these days, albeit at an inflated price.

The one on my site is one of the bar cups.  I have 12 of them - two complete sets plus a few singles.  I recently found them on sale at Goodmans.net, if you're looking for more.

Congrats on the Fellini cup - I suppose that's probably the holy grail among Illy collectors.  I don't plan on owning one for quite a while! : )

Next up for me is the Pietrobelli "Zebra" set, if I can find an affordable price.  

Best,
Dalton

John_Thawley

Posted Wed May 19, 2004, 6:48pm

dalton Said:

RE:  Dreams and Confilcts - I had planned on getting the single art cup at some point, but never did.  It isn't reproduced quite exactly in the bar cup series.   I'll probably scan eBay and pick one up one of these days, albeit at an inflated price.

The one on my site is one of the bar cups.  I have 12 of them - two complete sets plus a few singles.  I recently found them on sale at Goodmans.net, if you're looking for more.

Congrats on the Fellini cup - I suppose that's probably the holy grail among Illy collectors.  I don't plan on owning one for quite a while! : )

Next up for me is the Pietrobelli "Zebra" set, if I can find an affordable price.  

Best,
Dalton

Posted May 19, 2004 link

I might be able to help you on the Zebra.... I think I have an extra set.  I'll take a look and get back to you.

Thanks for the Goodmans tip.

John
Abe_Carmeli
Abe_Carmeli

Espresso: Expobar Brewtus modified...
Grinder: Versalab M3
Vac Pot: Bodum French Press
Drip: Technovorm
Roaster: HotTop
Posted Mon Nov 15, 2004, 2:57pm

Mark,

I took your theory to the test, as I was curious myself: Do thicker espresso cups retain heat better.  Bottom line, it is all a myth, to my own amazement.  I suggest that you do side by side measurements of a thin and a thick cup as I did and figure it out.  Here is the test I conducted:

Test parameters:

Cup size 2oz
Starting cup wall temp - room temp.
Fill cup 2oz with water @ 206 degrees f and let it warm up for 1 minutes
empty cup
fill it again with 206 degrees f to the 1.5 oz mark (double ristretto)
Measure water temp in the cup after 30 seconds and 60 seconds

I used 2 different cups side by side: Both are porcelain. Only difference, one has a 2 mm thick wall, the other, close to 5 mm thick. (the thin was a Illy cup and the thick was an Electra)

Results:

Thin cup after 30 seconds, temp dropped to 189 degrees
Thick cup after 30 second , temp dropped to 189 degrees
Thin cup after 1 minute - temp drop to 182 degrees
Thick cup after 1 minute, temp drop to 182

Bottom line, in practical matters for a double ristretto, there is no difference as far as heat retention between a thick and a thin cup.  

My thermometer has a standard deviation of +-1 degree f, and I repeated the test five times.  The results above are the average reading.

I am sure that in lab test conditions one will find some difference between the two, but in real life, those differences have practically no impact.  

Abe

Abe Carmeli
 View Profile Link to this post
expobar

Posted Mon Nov 15, 2004, 3:09pm

How about this:  Illy cups are more comfortable to drink out of.  It's true.  No opinions, it's a pure fact.  If you debate it, you're anti-american.
 View Profile Link to this post
showing page 6 of 6 first page previous page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Articles > Columnist... > illy "Gets It"...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.341534852982)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+