Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Articles: CoffeeGeek Columnist Feedback
Peet's, Baskets & Italian vs. N. American Blends by Mark Prince
Green Unroasted Coffee
Free shipping. Save 15% on variety pack, use 'variety' at checkout
www.madbeanscoffee

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Articles > Columnist... > Peet's, Baskets...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 6 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
MarkPrince

Expertise: Professional

Espresso: KvdW Speedster
Grinder: Versalab M3 Grinder
Vac Pot: A bit too many
Drip: Bonavita
Roaster: Hario Glass Retro Roaster
Posted Sun Sep 2, 2007, 8:01pm
Subject: Re: Peet's, Baskets & Italian vs. N. American Blends by Mark Prince

Just an update for the US/Canada side of the battle, going down only hours from now.

Actually, here's an update on the first round Participants

Vince Piccolo: Barista
Colter Jones, CNBC Champ, Taster
Barrett Jones, CNBC 2nd Place, Taster
Mark Prince, Taster
Aaron Smythe, (Barista), Taster

All shots were pulled double blind - Vince got numbered bags, tasters did not know the coffees. Barista was allowed to tune the coffee and shots any way he wanted before finally pulling two doubles and serving.

For the US / Canada Round:

Sammy Piccolo, 3 time CNBC Champ, 3 time top three WBC finalist, Barista (Vince felt he shouldn't work his own coffee, even if double blind)
Colter Jones, CNBC Champ, Taster
Barrett Jones, Taster
Andrea Piccolo, Swiss Water QC, Taster
Mark Prince, Taster
Peter van de Reep, Barista, Optional Taster
Les Kwon, Optional Taster

Should be fun. Pics, deets, everything to follow in the testing. I'm seriously thinking about giving the Italian coffees a 10% "bonus" to counteract any age issues. It's really an unfair battle as far as I'm concerned, because of the age of the coffees.

Mark

CoffeeGeek Senior Editor
www.twitter.com/coffeegeek www.flickr.com/coffeegeek, www.instagram.com/coffeegeek (you get the picture)
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
JacobS
JacobS
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: GS/3
Grinder: Robur
Roaster: Probat '73 RE 1 Sample...
Posted Mon Sep 3, 2007, 2:19am

Isn't this kind of an unfair match? Why not test against the best Italian roasters?

MY personal favorit is the Harem blend from passalacqua.

I'm on page with Gregory Fierro who in 2002 wrote:

gregorio Said:

... I'd hate to say it this way, but a lot of the brands available nationally in Italy tend to be like our national brands, kind of mediocre.

Posted October 21, 2002 link

gregorio Said:

It sounds like I own stock in the company or something, but S.Passalacqua faithfully represents the last thread of an old school devotion to doing things right.  For me, and for the people of Naples, it is as important to the landscape as pizza, music and romance.

Posted October 21, 2002 link

View Profile Link to this post
MarkPrince

Espresso: KvdW Speedster
Grinder: Versalab M3 Grinder
Vac Pot: A bit too many
Drip: Bonavita
Roaster: Hario Glass Retro Roaster
Posted Mon Sep 3, 2007, 4:06am

JacobS Said:

Isn't this kind of an unfair match? Why not test against the best Italian roasters?

MY personal favorit is the Harem blend from passalacqua.

Posted September 3, 2007 link

IMO, it's not a fair match. But we're countering the article on Coffee Review, which tested US Available Italian blends vs a few US-based coffee blends.

In my case, I didn't just want to go to the store and pick four or five unknown (to me) Italian-roasted and blended coffee, so I did some research before selecting which ones to try. Pellini was a top favourite of a few Italian friends who know coffee and espresso, and also the recommendations of a large Vancouver importer. Segefredo is the #1 roaster in N. Italy, huge, probably bigger than Starbucks. And there's Illy in the mix.

Still, I'm considering giving a concession bonus to the Italian blends, based on age of coffee. Then again, I'm not... all of these coffees feature "best by" dates months in the future. If they think their coffee is good right up until those days, perhaps they don't need a 5 or 10% points bonus in the testing.

What do others think?

Mark

CoffeeGeek Senior Editor
www.twitter.com/coffeegeek www.flickr.com/coffeegeek, www.instagram.com/coffeegeek (you get the picture)
JacobS
JacobS

Espresso: GS/3
Grinder: Robur
Roaster: Probat '73 RE 1 Sample...
Posted Mon Sep 3, 2007, 7:27am

He he, who said it had to be a fair match - but we could hope for a fair conclusion.

The thing I find unfair is comparison of mass-produced products against specialty products.

If your Italian coffee is as fresh as it gets in states then there shouldn't be an age-bonus IMHO. When I'm comparing the local roasters to Passalacqua the age is counted in days for the local stuff and in weeks for the Italian stuff, because that's what I have to chose from.
harrymanback
harrymanback
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: expobar brewtus ii
Grinder: la cimbali md6, baratza...
Drip: nah...bodum press(es)
Roaster: modded wear•ever popcorn...
Posted Mon Sep 3, 2007, 8:12am

i agree with the above conclusions from mods and garyh: this should be about competition b/w what's available in the north american marketplace -- so no point adjustment.  i think the most applicable comparison is one off the shelf: "is that vac-sealed can of italian import better than my fresh roasted third wave shop?"

after all, if the question was about absolutes, we already have a competition for that...and an american roaster won "best espresso" honors this year in that head to head.  i would think in terms of the absolute scale, our best would be comparable to their best (finally...50 years later); however, that bean said, i think all cg'ers would admit there is still a much higher percentage of quality coffee per the local market place, in italy vs. north america.

but i think the real question -- and the one you were shocked to see the results of in ken davids' review, mark -- is imported italian better than fresh north american?

harry.

"i should pull up the hardwood to see if there's carpet underneath! . . . no, that's never the case."
SL28ave
SL28ave

Grinder: Baratza Virtuoso
Drip: Technivorm
Posted Mon Sep 3, 2007, 10:37am

article excerpt,

MarkPrince Said:

...but I think Ken should stay away from any critical discussion about espresso and the evaluation of the beverage.

Posted September 2, 2007 link

I have no clue regarding how Ken's espressos are prepared. But still, should deaf people stay away from composing music? Come on, encourage!
coffeeDirtDog
coffeeDirtDog
Posted Mon Sep 3, 2007, 8:24pm

SL28ave Said:

article excerpt,

I have no clue regarding how Ken's espressos are prepared. But still, should deaf people stay away from composing music? Come on, encourage!

Rumored as...  7g singles all pulled at 200F and 1oz

www.barismo.com
brownbeans

Espresso: Gaggia Espresso, Ibrick
Grinder: Zassenhaus
Vac Pot: none
Drip: just french press
Roaster: Alpenrost, Freshroast, Iron...
Posted Mon Sep 3, 2007, 8:49pm

Wow, Ken got served in that article.

I think the competition needs a much larger sample size. Throw some random home roasters in there. But in the end, isnt it all just preference?
SL28ave
SL28ave

Posted Mon Sep 3, 2007, 9:43pm

coffeeDirtDog Said:

Rumored as...  7g singles all pulled at 200F and 1oz

I could possibly live with a coffee I roasted being reviewed at those parameters. Never seriously used a single basket, though, so I'm unsure about that. 200F wouldn't be totally optimal.
SL28ave
SL28ave

Posted Mon Sep 3, 2007, 9:43pm

brownbeans Said:

But in the end, isnt it all just preference?

In a way. It's a single opinion.
showing page 2 of 6 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Articles > Columnist... > Peet's, Baskets...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.338979959488)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+