Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Articles: CoffeeGeek Columnist Feedback
Peet's, Baskets & Italian vs. N. American Blends by Mark Prince
Support Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids is a non profit charity working with farming communities around the world. Donate today!
www.coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Articles > Columnist... > Peet's, Baskets...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 6 last page next page
Author Messages
MarkPrince

Expertise: Professional

Espresso: KvdW Speedster
Grinder: Versalab M3 Grinder
Vac Pot: A bit too many
Drip: Bonavita
Roaster: Hario Glass Retro Roaster
Posted Fri Aug 31, 2007, 11:00pm
Subject: Peet's, Baskets & Italian vs. N. American Blends by Mark Prince

Peet's, Baskets & Italian vs. N. American Blends
by Mark Prince

State of Coffee this week has a look at the legacy of Alfred Peet, a huge call out for manufacturers to improve filter baskets and dispersion screens, and some discussion about the recent Italian vs. US blends reviews on Coffee Review.
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
harrymanback
harrymanback
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: expobar brewtus ii
Grinder: la cimbali md6, baratza...
Drip: nah...bodum press(es)
Roaster: modded wear•ever popcorn...
Posted Sun Sep 2, 2007, 8:08am
Subject: Re: Peet's, Baskets & Italian vs. N. American Blends by Mark Prince

yay!  the kid gloves are off!  very funny and informative article.  i'm a big proponent of the ability to be critical without being insulting.  i love coffeegeek for the reviews and the forums, but the honest, unfettered opinions of mark and the other featured columnists was lacking.  kudos for the courage in taking this step.

one of the great things about a really great coffee shop is the ability to create community -- places where friends and strangers can gather not only to hang out (ie, third place) but converse about controversial topics, even the quality in the cup.  my favorite cafés are the ones that not only serve up quality shots, but encourage honest criticism of coffee, even their own.

*raises his cup of yerg to mark and pete*

harry.

"i should pull up the hardwood to see if there's carpet underneath! . . . no, that's never the case."
MarkPrince

Expertise: Professional

Espresso: KvdW Speedster
Grinder: Versalab M3 Grinder
Vac Pot: A bit too many
Drip: Bonavita
Roaster: Hario Glass Retro Roaster
Posted Sun Sep 2, 2007, 1:45pm

PS - a small addition made to the article: I asked George Howell for some of his thoughts on Peet and his legacy. George's words have been added to the section about Alfred Peet. Please give it a read.

Mark, raising multiple cups of fine coffee to Alfred Peet this weekend.

CoffeeGeek Senior Editor
www.twitter.com/coffeegeek www.flickr.com/coffeegeek, www.instagram.com/coffeegeek (you get the picture)
GaryH
GaryH
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Isomac Zaffiro
Grinder: Macap M4 Doserless
Vac Pot: none
Drip: yes
Roaster: none
Posted Sun Sep 2, 2007, 2:28pm

Here is my 2 cents about Italian vs. US blends. Over the past six years I've visited lots of third wave coffee houses on the West Coast where I've had lots of great tasting ristrettos and I also pulled very good shots at home using US blends.

GaryH: Ristrettos1.jpg
(Click for larger image)
 View Profile Link to this post
GaryH
GaryH

Posted Sun Sep 2, 2007, 2:29pm

I've never been to Italy but in the town of Palo Alto, California, are two coffee houses that serve espresso using beans imported from Italy (so beans are many days/weeks after roast). This photo shows Caffe Del Doge in Palo Alto whose home base is in Venice Italy (I havent read good things about Venice regarding espressos). But this nice tasting single espresso, pulled using Nero beans, had good body, was nutty with some complexity. It was a nice shot that comes pretty close to a good average shot that I've had at third wave US coffee houses. But unfortunately espressos at Del Doge can also have thin body with carbon and taste worse than Starbucks.

GaryH: Doge5.jpg
(Click for larger image)
GaryH
GaryH

Posted Sun Sep 2, 2007, 2:30pm

Illy espresso at a coffee house in Pismo Beach, California. Tasted the same as a Starbucks espresso but without the carbon taste.

GaryH: Seaside_Illy2.jpg
(Click for larger image)
GaryH
GaryH

Posted Sun Sep 2, 2007, 3:19pm

At Douce France, a coffee house in Palo Alto, California, this single espresso was made using Bian coffee beans from Italy. It was a very nice shot with lots of body, some complexity and a very nice nutty taste. Much better than a Forte espresso at Peet's. This shot was also better than an average shot at a third wave US coffee house. It really surprised me. An espresso made with imported Italian beans can be very good and very enjoyable.

So based on my very limited experience with Italian espresso, hence my 2 cent opinion, espressos made with imported Italian beans can be very good, but are a bit boring. Compared to the best Italian espressos I've had in the US, a very good shot at a third wave US coffee house, like Blue Bottle or Ecco, has much more complexity and richness. Even the best Italian espressos I've had fall way short compared to the best US blend shots.

GaryH: Douce_France_Aug06.jpg
(Click for larger image)
GaryH
GaryH

Posted Sun Sep 2, 2007, 4:46pm

The heritage and influence of Alfred Peet is a bit of a mixed bag for me. I actually do go to a Peet's coffee house more often than to a third wave coffee house. That is because of the many nice locations and nice look of the Peet's coffee houses. Espresso Forte is just OK, not realy worth ordering. My favorte is a small, low fat, vanilla latte with a double shot of espresso. They do it better than Starbucks. The non-coffeegeek crowd realizes that too. Peet's milk based espresso drinks are much better than I get at an average coffee house. I've been going to Peet's for about 15 years but only 5% of my knowledge about espresso comes from Peet's. Peet's heritage and influence didn't get me very far. Coffeegeek taught me 95%. Why is it that most people who visit Peet's think they are getting the best coffee? Maybe that's what Peet's wants them to think. Same goes for Starbucks. Coffeegeek continually pushes bounderies and teaches and challenges me so much more than Peet's. But without Peet's there may not have been coffeegeek. From that perspective Peet's does have a great heritage.

GaryH: Peets_3.jpg
(Click for larger image)
GaryH
GaryH

Posted Sun Sep 2, 2007, 5:04pm

Applying coffeegeek heritage and influence to Peet's coffee. This is an Ethiopian SO from Peet's and I used knowledge learned on coffeegeek to pull these shots. Quite nice but they did have a bit of carbon taste. It's good that Peet's introduced high quality specialty SO beans but unfortunately at Peet's they don't pull any SO espressos (not such a bad thing). But if it wasn't for coffeegeek I wouldn't know about darkness of roast, time after roast, grinding, tamping, prosumer espresso machines, pull time, ristrettos, naked PF, brew water temperature, crema, flavor profile, and the possibility of pulling shots with SO beans. I appreciate the heritage and influence coffeegeek has on my life.

GaryH: Peets_Ethiopian.jpg
(Click for larger image)
GaryH
GaryH

Posted Sun Sep 2, 2007, 5:42pm

Peet's Columbia peaberry SO pulled at home as a ristretto. In this case, using the same beans, press coffee at Peet's tasted better than my ristretto shots.

GaryH: Peets_Columbia_Caracol.jpg
(Click for larger image)
showing page 1 of 6 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Articles > Columnist... > Peet's, Baskets...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.38059091568)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+