Articles: CoffeeGeek Columnist Feedback
Battle North America vs. Italy - The Results by Mark Prince
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Articles > Columnist... > Battle North...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 10 of 25 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
MarkPrince

Expertise: Professional

Espresso: KvdW Speedster
Grinder: Compak K10 WBC
Vac Pot: A bit too many
Drip: Clive Coffee Drip Stand
Roaster: Hario Glass Retro Roaster
Posted Mon Oct 15, 2007, 4:21am
Subject: Re: Battle North America vs. Italy - The Results by Mark Prince

Actually, as much as I like scotch and whiskey myself, would you guys mind keeping the discussion on topic? ;) The Off Topics forum is a good place to pick up the scotch and whiskey discussions (hint hint)

Mark

CoffeeGeek Senior Editor
www.twitter.com/coffeegeek www.flickr.com/coffeegeek, www.instagram.com/coffeegeek (you get the picture)
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
JasonBrandtLewis
JasonBrandtLewis
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Elektra T1 - La Valentina -...
Grinder: Mahlkönig K30 Vario -...
Vac Pot: Yama 5-cup
Drip: CCD, Chemex
Roaster: No, no, not another...
Posted Mon Oct 15, 2007, 7:18am

Philosopher Said:

If you want to say that certain conditions like a fresh roast are only important to extraction as a matter of opinion but not fact but you're  experience doesn't include adjusting your grind for extraction, temp surfing, dose/distribution/tamp experimentation and a good bit of research into very good espresso extraction, no offense, but how can you honestly or with any credibility suppose that?  
I never said this - but Ken did not adjust and most of his readers probably did not care - but CGs may

Posted October 14, 2007 link

And thus the distinction!  Again, back to the world of wine for an example . . .

People who read wine magazines are but a small percentage of the total number of wine drinkers.  (This is true, of course, the world over, but let's limit this to the U.S. and U.S.-based publications.)  The readers are already "into" wine enough -- more so tha the average drinker -- to pick up the publication in the first place.  Subscribers are even more into it, and are but a small percentage of the percentage of readers.  That said, the subscription base of the Wine Spectator dwarfs that of Robert Parker's The Wine Advocate.  Unavailable on newstands, you have to be much more "serious" about wine to subscribe to Parker.  Parker's subscribers represent a range of interests and a range of knowledge, but on the whole are much more knowledgable than those who subscribe and/or read only the Wine Spectator.  And while the "Spec" covers many of the same wines as Parker does, it also covers food and "lifestyle issues," and is more like Bon Appetit or Food & Wine turned inside out:  rather than a food magazine with wine articles, it's a wine mag with articles on food.  The "Spec" is aimed at a much broader base -- still, a small segment of the overall number of wine drinkers, but a much broader segment than Parker.  

In this analogy, Kenneth Davids' Coffee Review is, of course, the "Spec" -- aimed at a broader consumer market (though still, a more "into it" segment of coffee drinkers than those who might read the occasional article on coffee in Bon Apetit or Gourmet -- while CG is aimed at a significantly smaller percentage . . . the top nth of one percent . . . .

A morning without coffee is sleep . . .
 View Profile Link to this post
JasonBrandtLewis
JasonBrandtLewis

Posted Mon Oct 15, 2007, 11:02am

mrgnomer Said:

I agree that it's frustrating to read the review of a roast that isn't readily availble to me so I can try it out for myself.  I still don't think that roast shouldn't be reviewed and compared.  If it's reviewed maybe a demand will make it available.

I concur that small, so-called "micro-roasters" should be reviewed . . . by the appropriate regional review . . . presuming, of course, that such regional reviews become a reality . . . eventually.  The problem, however, with your idea that demand will/may make it available, we're back to the freshness issue:  can you -- in, say, Toronto -- get a pound (a kilo) of that 98-point espresso blend from that coffee roaster in New Zealand a) while it's still fresh, and b) without paying $50+ for FexEx overnight delivery?

mrgnomer Said:

Regional evaluations make sense as well.  What do you think?  Road trips for a core of baristas to hit a roasting region for an evaluation, contacting the region's roasters and express posting roasts for evaluation or drawing on local barista talent, if it exists, for recommendations and the evaluation?

I think regional coffees are reviewed by regional baristas/writers.  Not many people are going to pay for you or I, or even Mark, to spend a month in Australia tasting various freshly roasted coffees -- nice though that may sound -- only to write them up back in Canada.  If it's not a "homegrown" coffee-obsessed induvidual creating the website and reviewing the coffees from Down Under, Mark -- are you listening Mark? -- could eventually open up sections of THIS site for regional coffee reviews by "qualified professionals."

mrgnomer
mrgnomer

Espresso: Vetrano, Silvia, Olympia...
Grinder: Zass., Macap M4 stepless,...
Vac Pot: Yama, Bodum E Santos
Drip: French Press, ibrik, Moka...
Roaster: Hottop programmable, IRoast2
Posted Mon Oct 15, 2007, 2:26pm

MarkPrince Said:

Actually, as much as I like scotch and whiskey myself, would you guys mind keeping the discussion on topic? ;) The Off Topics forum is a good place to pick up the scotch and whiskey discussions (hint hint)

Mark

Posted October 15, 2007 link

Sorry.  Neat, Gimme ;)
 View Profile Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Link to this post
gime2much

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: La Pavoni, Astoria comm, 2...
Grinder: La Pavoni Zip, Bunn...
Drip: Bunn comm
Roaster: Popcorn popper (air),co/ufo
Posted Mon Oct 15, 2007, 2:44pm

MarkPrince Said:

Mark

mrgnomer Said:

Sorry.  Neat, Gimme ;)

Me to (I was drinking scotch at the time)

Dan Brewer
mrgnomer
mrgnomer

Espresso: Vetrano, Silvia, Olympia...
Grinder: Zass., Macap M4 stepless,...
Vac Pot: Yama, Bodum E Santos
Drip: French Press, ibrik, Moka...
Roaster: Hottop programmable, IRoast2
Posted Mon Oct 15, 2007, 2:45pm

JasonBrandtLewis Said:

I think regional coffees are reviewed by regional baristas/writers.  Not many people are going to pay for you or I, or even Mark, to spend a month in Australia tasting various freshly roasted coffees -- nice though that may sound -- only to write them up back in Canada.  If it's not a "homegrown" coffee-obsessed induvidual creating the website and reviewing the coffees from Down Under, Mark -- are you listening Mark? -- could eventually open up sections of THIS site for regional coffee reviews by "qualified professionals."

I'd be concerned about regional baristas varying in skill or experience.  I'd think it would be difficult for the reviews to be consistent from region to region using local baristas unless the baristas were very good.

But you could have fun with it in a two for one sort of way.  Have two regions head to head, one ships the other their roasts and the two regions evaluate and compare their own and each other's roasts.  The baristas need to be similar in experience.  You could have a WBC ranked barista or two, if they're available, leading the evaluation and directing geek barista(s) and maybe a casual barista(s).  Yeah, shipping charges bring up the cost but what can you do.

I'm sure there would be a way to justify writing off a road trip.  It would be advancing coffee and coffeegeek, wouldn't it?
 View Profile Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Link to this post
JasonBrandtLewis
JasonBrandtLewis

Posted Mon Oct 15, 2007, 3:02pm

mrgnomer Said:

I'd be concerned about regional baristas varying in skill or experience.  I'd think it would be difficult for the reviews to be consistent from region to region using local baristas unless the baristas were very good.

What is Mark, but a well-educated geek and somoneone who passed the WBC Judge's Exam?  IF there is a standard, shouldn't a WBC "approved" judge be of sufficient caliber to pass judgement?  After all, they judge the performance of a barista . . . .

mrgnomer Said:

But you could have fun with it in a two for one sort of way.  Have two regions head to head, one ships the other their roasts and the two regions evaluate and compare their own and each other's roasts . . .

It would be better if Region "A" ships to Region "B" AND Region "B" ships to Region "A" -- that way each "set" of judges have the same (e.g.) six coffees from each region to review.  The effects of shipping could be mitigated by comparing the reviews of Region A's judges with those of Region B's.

mrgnomer Said:

I'm sure there would be a way to justify writing off a road trip.  It would be advancing coffee and coffeegeek, wouldn't it?

Write-offs always sound better than they actually are.  ;^)

Besides, knowing that this Australian roaster is better than that one remains in the "fun-to-know-but-essentially-useless-tidbit" to readers outside of Australia (OK, and maybe New Zealand) . . . just as knowing that Ecco Caffe placed 1st and Allegro placed 6th is to Derek . . . UNLESS I am planning to visit there, or he's planning on coming here.  Either way, that info I can get from people who participate in CG's regional forums already.

Philosopher

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Silvia
Grinder: Rocky
Posted Mon Oct 15, 2007, 5:56pm

Back to topic now and further comments about making the scoring system easier to use interpret - which I think is what Mark is actually looking for:

I will again use some wine analogy - colour  (looks) , nose (smell) , palate (taste) - One example:
  • Look =  colour, viscosity, brilliance, depth (15%)
  • Smell = aroma, faults, variety, intensity (35%)
  • Taste =  complexity, concentration, fruit, length, aftertaste, balance, tannin / phenolics, acid (50%)

For comparison MP uses:
  • Look = crema (10%)
  • Smell = aroma (10%)
  • Taste = body balance, sweetness balance, acidity balance, aftertaste (40%)
  • Other = with milk (10%)
  • Final assessment = judge score (10%), barista score (20%)  

Perhaps more information in the tasting notes:
  • Look = colour/hue crema, intensity of crema, volume of crema, persistence of crema,
  • Smell = variety of aromas, intensity of aroma, faults that can be detected

With regard to 'taste'
  • Should acid and sweetness balance be assessed separately?  Or just one score for the primary balance of sweet/acid/bitter.  The tasting notes can then specifically mention the things which dominate.
  • Body should be followed by mention of complexity and concentration and then a reference to 'balance' of flavours.  e.g. 'Overpoweringly fruity, too much chocolate'.  Again tasting notes can specify the dominant characteristics.
  • Lastly, length, aftertaste then faults - burnt, ashy etc etc

With regard to 'with milk'
  • Should the score for this be omitted and a comment made only in the tasting notes e.g. "v good/excellent with milk, gets lost in milk"

With regard to 'judges score'

• With an more elaborate marking system perhaps the judges score can be omitted completely.

With regard to 'barista' score

• Should we omit the score but reserve comments for the notes section?
  • In the end, the final result is most important but we should then warn readers how much their mileage may vary
  • More comments please - recommended dose/tamp/temp, ease to work with, reproducibility on prosumer machine  e.g. 'needs higher temp to work well, very good results on Silvia'

Final conclusions:

• The final score should reflect the best espresso that can be achieved with the blend under ideal conditions
  • However, the tasting notes can then elaborate on how easy it is to achieve it for the average prosumer and whether it is similarly well suited for milk drinks
JasonBrandtLewis
JasonBrandtLewis

Posted Mon Oct 15, 2007, 6:52pm

Derek,

This is a great post, but I've replied to it in the "other" thread -- on developing an evaluation system, rather than here.

See here for my comments.

Philosopher

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Silvia
Grinder: Rocky
Posted Mon Oct 15, 2007, 9:07pm

GaryH Said:

I copied the espresso ranking data into Excel and made a chart showing each category. As the overall ratings increase, typically the individual ratings for each category also increase.  The higher scoring blends also have a higher barista score so looks like a better blend is more forgiving.

Posted October 13, 2007 link

Gary,

Good work with the analysis.  Eyeballing the data indicates both Barista and Judge's score correlates well with final score (except for a few exceptions).

Since you have already got the data on your spreadsheet could you try this analysis:

Compute total score but omitting the Barista/Judge/Milk scores and adjust up for a percentage score.   Compare this with MP's original results.

Can we show that the component evaluation is adequate for an evaluation?
showing page 10 of 25 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Articles > Columnist... > Battle North...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Don't suffer bad espresso
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, VBM, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.386090040207)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+