Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Articles: CoffeeGeek Columnist Feedback
Grinders, Coffees and Caffeines by Mark Prince
Barista Tools
Large selection of tampers, pitchers, milk frothers and much more!
www.espressozone.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Articles > Columnist... > Grinders,...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
MarkPrince
MarkPrince
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: KvdW Speedster
Grinder: Compak K10 WBC
Vac Pot: A bit too many
Drip: Clive Coffee Drip Stand
Roaster: Hario Glass Retro Roaster
Posted Sun Nov 25, 2007, 1:00am
Subject: Grinders, Coffees and Caffeines by Mark Prince

Grinders, Coffees and Caffeines
by Mark Prince

November comes in like a juggernaut for the coffee world with a lot of new coffees coming available, people all in a frenzy buying coffee related holiday gifts, and then we have Dr. Illy (of the Andrea kind) lecturing... and there's the constant questions about caffeine. All this and more in this Coffee at the Moment.
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
farmroast
farmroast

Espresso: Strega,Cremina, MCAL...
Grinder: Majors, Dienes
Vac Pot: Hellem10
Drip: CCD, and more
Roaster: 1kg. DreamRoast
Posted Mon Nov 26, 2007, 8:43am
Subject: Re: Grinders, Coffees and Caffeines by Mark Prince

Mark  Do you know if the Zassenhaus model169dg with the cast top is available? thanks, Ed

Ed Bourgeois... LMWDP #167
please visit my blog
http://coffee-roasting.blogspot.com/
MarkPrince
MarkPrince

Posted Mon Nov 26, 2007, 3:51pm

farmroast Said:

Mark  Do you know if the Zassenhaus model169dg with the cast top is available? thanks, Ed

Posted November 26, 2007 link

Dunno - try contacting Alistair, or Tom Owen, etc etc, the usual sources for these grinders.

Mark

CoffeeGeek Senior Editor
www.twitter.com/coffeegeek www.flickr.com/coffeegeek, www.instagram.com/coffeegeek (you get the picture)
CraigA
CraigA
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: PID/PressureMod 2001...
Grinder: BUNN FPG-2 DBC, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Bodum Santos manual, Yama 5...
Drip: Behmor BraZen, BUNN VPR-APS,...
Roaster: Refurb Behmor 1600, BBQ...
Posted Mon Nov 26, 2007, 5:30pm

They're available off & on, I got mine on July 27/07 from Tom & had an advance emailing saying supply was short maybe 10 - 20 in total & down to 10 when I ordered., & to move quick & I did! {;-)

http://twitter.com/CoffeegeekCraig
http://www.facebook.com/craig.andrews.169

Excellent coffee doesn't just happen!
 View Profile Visit website Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Contact via ICQ Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
narc
narc
Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: MCal,PVL2
Grinder: MacapMX, vintage hand...
Roaster: GeneCafe
Posted Tue Nov 27, 2007, 3:14pm

When people comment to me about the loads of caffeine I supposedly am consuming every morning (3-5 espresso, ristretto style) I comment it's only ~20mg/shot or about equivalent to the soda you are drinking.  They laugh & I explain until their eyes glaze over.  Based on the initial info in your column I can now just tell them to check out coffeegeek.com.  15gm x1.2% = 18mg x80%=14.4mg of caffeine.

It's cool to hear even without the HGL you are still supporting coffeekids.org.  Thanks Mark.

Noel
Mano dell 'operatore> Macinadosatore> Miscela> Macchina espresso
MarkPrince
MarkPrince

Posted Tue Nov 27, 2007, 4:12pm

narc Said:

When people comment to me about the loads of caffeine I supposedly am consuming every morning (3-5 espresso, ristretto style) I comment it's only ~20mg/shot or about equivalent to the soda you are drinking.  They laugh & I explain until their eyes glaze over.  Based on the initial info in your column I can now just tell them to check out coffeegeek.com.  15gm x1.2% = 18mg x80%=14.4mg of caffeine.

Posted November 27, 2007 link

I think that calc is wrong because there's 1000 milligrams in a gram, not 100? (in part two I break down the numbers per drink; what the hell, I'll post it here as an advance sneak copy) Math was never my strong point, but here goes:

Based on all the quasi math in the previous article, I'll present some typical caffeine content levels in different types of coffee and espresso beverages. Pretty much everything is calculated on this formula:

1g coffee = 12mg caffeine (Arabica), 22mg caffeine robusta.

A single shot of espresso made with 7g of coffee, brewing approximately 30mls of liquid will contain around 60 mg (actually 58.8mg) of caffeine. Illy's own financed tests (conducted by a fellow named Petracco in 1989) show an average of 60mg of caffeine in a 30ml shot, so the estimation vs. actual lab results are nearly spot on. Got it? A single shot of espresso has about 60mg of caffeine in it.

A double "ristretto" shot, going by my theory postulated above, extracts even less caffeine - I'm going to guess 50-55%. So a 30ml ristretto shot made from 14g of coffee will have about 70-80mg of caffeine.

An americano made with a single shot still has 60mg of caffeine, even if the volume is 120-150mls of beverage. Double it up and get a 240-300ml beverage and 120mg of caffeine. (remember this number)

If you're using 100% robusta for these  shots (are you insane?), your numbers would be double, subtracting 10%; so single robusta espresso shot has 110mg, double ristretto robusta shot has 135mg, and a double shot americano would have 215mg.

If you follow my preferred ratio for standard drip coffee, which is 7g of ground coffee for every 120mls of water (4oz), here's how the drip coffee percolations break down.

I usually serve drip coffee in 240ml (8oz) cups, with about 210mls served - but for maths' sake, lets say 240mls / 8oz as our starting point. That uses 14g (which is 2 tablespoons) of ground coffee, but the percolation method extracts up to 97% of the stored caffeine from the ground coffee = but let's use the low end number: 92% extraction. So my 240ml serving of arabica-brewed drip coffee will have 155mg of caffeine. 350ml cups (12oz) will have around 230mg of caffeine.

For robusta, times it by two, and remove 10% again, giving you 280mg of caffeine in a robusta-laden 240ml brewed coffee, and a whopping 414mg in a 12 ounce cup. And remember, that's using the low estimate (92%) extraction yield!

Caffeine in espresso
So many people see espresso as this little tiny jolt of caffeine. That's actually true - it has a lot of concentrate caffeine in it compared to its serving size. 30mls of liquid with 60mg of caffeine has more caffeine per ml than 240mls of brewed coffee with 155mg of caffeine: 2mg/1ml in the espresso, and 0.6mg/1ml in the brewed coffee.

But, it's also misleading on several levels. First, espresso has more of, well, everything because it is in fact a concentrate. Second, the fact that espresso is "a tiny jolt of caffeine" forgets the word "tiny". If you have one or two shots of espresso in the morning, you're still ingesting less caffeine than if you drank an 8 ounce cup of brewed coffee. And if you dilute the espresso, making the americano beverage (or a cappuccino, or latte), you're having much less caffeine per ml of liquid: 240ml double shot americano with 120mg of caffeine (0.5mg/1ml) vs. a 240ml cup of brewed coffee with 155mg of caffeine (still 0.6mg/1ml). That brewed coffee has 35mg more of caffeine in it.

And americanos have sooooo much flavour potential over most filter drip coffees!

Additional resources:
The Caffeine Database

Mark

CoffeeGeek Senior Editor
www.twitter.com/coffeegeek www.flickr.com/coffeegeek, www.instagram.com/coffeegeek (you get the picture)
Jabes
Jabes
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Isomac Tea
Grinder: Rancilio Rocky/ Maestro Plus
Posted Tue Nov 27, 2007, 6:02pm

"I'm still waiting for the day for a nicely engineered, geared hand grinder - one that, when you turn one full revolution on the hand crank, the burr set does 10, 15 revolutions. It can't be that hard, can it?"

The thing about gears is that you either get speed or torque, but not both. They're inversely proportional.  And I'm sure it takes a good bit of torque to crush through those coffee beans, so as far as hand grinders go, we may be out of luck in terms of speediness.

Justin
 View Profile Link to this post
MarkPrince
MarkPrince

Posted Tue Nov 27, 2007, 11:30pm

Jabes Said:

The thing about gears is that you either get speed or torque, but not both. They're inversely proportional.  And I'm sure it takes a good bit of torque to crush through those coffee beans, so as far as hand grinders go, we may be out of luck in terms of speediness.

Justin

I didn't think about that....

Maybe a 2x or 3x gearing system then, instead of my dream of a 10x gear? ;)

Also, my 'geer skills and knowledge are limited, but wouldn't a longer crank arm result in better torque in a geared system? I'm not talking about going to a 2 foot turning diameter (from the current, oh, about 10" turning diameter), but adding a few extra inches may allow for better torque for a gear system?

Mark

CoffeeGeek Senior Editor
andys
andys
Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: Speedster, Londinium 1
Grinder: EK-43,Robur, HG One, M3
Vac Pot: Yama
Drip: various
Roaster: PIDed Popper
Posted Wed Nov 28, 2007, 3:39am

MarkPrince Said:

wouldn't a longer crank arm result in better torque in a geared system? I'm not talking about going to a 2 foot turning diameter (from the current, oh, about 10" turning diameter), but adding a few extra inches may allow for better torque for a gear system?

Yes, a longer crank arm would allow you to keep turning under a higher torque load.

And what would be even better would be hooking it up to a stationary bicycle. Then you could grind as fast as most electric grinders!

-AndyS
picture page:  http://flickr.com/photos/andy_s/sets/
MyronJ
MyronJ

Espresso: Gaggia Espresso
Grinder: Rocky (Zassenhaus  Mill Box...
Vac Pot: Aeropress..does it count??
Drip: Bialetti Kaliffa-needs a...
Roaster: IROAST, FZ-RR 700 (Havitush)
Posted Wed Nov 28, 2007, 4:10am

Mark, It's great that you will be doing Silent Auctions for Coffeekids, alongside your other efforts this month...

And to think that i am planning to buy myself a grinder for my upcoming birthday... (I love my Zass...but an electric grinder for espresso will make it easier to offer neighbors a shot.)...

Is there a chance of  bidding for a 220V Baratza?? I guess i should check if they have somone who can service the machine in Israel...and then I take it upon myself to outbid everybody!!

Best to you!
myron
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Articles > Columnist... > Grinders,...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.385777950287)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+