Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Articles: CoffeeGeek Columnist Feedback
A Legend is Reborn - Faema E61 Restoration Part 2 by Paul Pratt
Support Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids is a non profit charity working with farming communities around the world. Donate today!
www.coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Articles > Columnist... > A Legend is...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
Author Messages
Paul_Pratt
Paul_Pratt
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Marzocco SMAL + GS
Grinder: Vulcano
Drip: Pourover cone works best for...
Roaster: Probat
Posted Thu Dec 20, 2007, 11:42pm
Subject: Re: A Legend is Reborn - Faema E61 Restoration Part 2 by Paul Pratt

MarshallF Said:

Paul, apart from the beauty of your work, I'm still trying to get my head around your ability to send off 150 parts to the chrome plater ... and remember where they all came from three days later. Very impressive. I'm still working on 10 parts and 10 minutes....

Marshall

Posted December 18, 2007 link

Hi Marshall, the beauty of a Faema machine is that parts diagrams are plenty.  Not that bad really, just like a big jigsaw puzzle.

Paul
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
SHIPO

Expertise: Pro Barista

Espresso: FAEMA E61 S3
Grinder: MAHLKONIG K30
Vac Pot: NONE
Drip: NONE
Roaster: ITALIAN...
Posted Fri Dec 21, 2007, 7:08am

fab article...i work on Faema e61 legend s3 daily in my caffe and all i can say that this machine is so different than others, so much of passion, so much of lines, chromed, shiny, feminine, something special, strange is that so many people wants to touch 'her', take a picture with......btw, my Faema shines in red in the back and it looks like some heater in the back, some Star Wars battle ship...so may the force be with You Paul.
Thanks for going back to origins...
kingseven

Espresso: Synesso Cyncra
Grinder: Mostly Anfims
Roaster: Probat UG15 and others
Posted Mon Dec 24, 2007, 5:03pm

Really great article - I'd love to know more about rebuilding (especially as I have a project now demanding attention!)

Machine looks beautiful - looking forward to whatever you write next!

www.jimseven.com
www.squaremileblog.com
lethalblonde
lethalblonde
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Elektra Micro Casa a Leva
Grinder: Innova flat burr
Drip: Capresso MT500
Roaster: Big, heavy, old wok;...
Posted Fri Jan 4, 2008, 6:27pm

How do you stop smiling when in the same room as that machine?  I doubt I could.

Many, many thanks for sharing your work!

Trisha

"The blessing lies not in living, merely, but in living well."  Seneca, 8 B.C.
 View Profile Link to this post
Paul_Pratt
Paul_Pratt

Espresso: Marzocco SMAL + GS
Grinder: Vulcano
Drip: Pourover cone works best for...
Roaster: Probat
Posted Thu Apr 10, 2008, 9:02pm

A quick update on the machine.  Recently I have had an enquiry to put the machine into use in a small cafe/gallery.  In order to make it more user-friendly I have added an auto-fill, which took a bit of head scratching to work out how this could be achieved without any permanent modifications.  Everything works as should and it could all be removed within 30 minutes if need be.

The other issue was the coffee quality.  I have now spent a good few weeks playing around with various flow restrictors on the heat exchanger loop in an effort to drop the idle temperature of the brew water.  I settled on 2mm flow restrictors.  These  are small brass discs that are inserted into the back of the group.  The result was that it dropped the water from idle (rock up to machine and brew using a Mr. Scace) down to around 96-97.  Further modification by inserting more restrictors into another secrect location has dropped the temp again down to a more respectable 94-95.

The result of all this is that it does not require any water dancing or flushing routine and is good to go, if anything it would benefit from a slight blip of the brew lever to bring the temps up.

Should the new trustees (I may just loan the machine rather than sell it) decide to use it, I will update with some pictures.

Paul
fatnat79

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Grimac Mini
Grinder: K30 ES
Vac Pot: Yama / Bodum Santos
Drip: Bodum French Press
Roaster: Gene Cafe / Popcorn Roaster
Posted Wed Nov 17, 2010, 11:32am

Paul_Pratt Said:

I have now spent a good few weeks playing around with various flow restrictors on the heat exchanger loop in an effort to drop the idle temperature of the brew water.  I settled on 2mm flow restrictors.  These  are small brass discs that are inserted into the back of the group.  The result was that it dropped the water from idle (rock up to machine and brew using a Mr. Scace) down to around 96-97.  Further modification by inserting more restrictors into another secrect location has dropped the temp again down to a more respectable 94-95.

The result of all this is that it does not require any water dancing or flushing routine and is good to go, if anything it would benefit from a slight blip of the brew lever to bring the temps up.
Paul

Posted April 10, 2008 link

I am very interested in applying these flow restrictors Paul speaks about on my Grimac Mini as I seem to have to flush the group a lot more than I would like in between shots but like to keep the boiler pressure up for steaming power. Can't I have both?

Are these restrictors specific to each machine or are they universal? Where can I get them?  Any guesses as to what the other "secret location" may be?
 View Profile Link to this post
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Articles > Columnist... > A Legend is...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.228239059448)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+