Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Articles: CoffeeGeek Columnist Feedback
Give it up for CoffeeKids by Mark Prince
Rancilio Silvia - How to
Step by step guide for easy brewing and steaming with the Rancilio Silvia
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Articles > Columnist... > Give it up for...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
MarkPrince

Expertise: Professional

Espresso: KvdW Speedster
Grinder: Compak K10 WBC
Vac Pot: A bit too many
Drip: Clive Coffee Drip Stand
Roaster: Hario Glass Retro Roaster
Posted Mon Jan 21, 2008, 1:00am
Subject: Give it up for CoffeeKids by Mark Prince

Give it up for CoffeeKids
by Mark Prince

A push to raise some solid funds for the charitable organization CoffeeKids, as well as some discussion about new coffees, a look at thermoblocks vs. boilers, and a preview of the WBC machine certifications.
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
DavidBB

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Vibiemme Domobar Super...
Grinder: Mazzer Mini
Vac Pot: 8 cup FP
Drip: Hamilton Beach
Roaster: 5lb BBQ Drum, iR2
Posted Mon Jan 21, 2008, 5:36pm
Subject: Re: Give it up for CoffeeKids by Mark Prince

I would just like to know why Paypal wants to charge me $20 shipping for me to make a cash donation to CoffeeKids. Is there a good reason?

"Once you wake up and smell the coffee, it's hard to go back to sleep".
 View Profile Link to this post
MarkPrince

Posted Mon Jan 21, 2008, 5:56pm

??? I'll check the link.... in the meantime, you can make a direct donation by going to paypal.com, making a payment to paypal@coffeekids.org, and just list in the description / notes it's a donation through CoffeeGeek.

I'll see if we can straighten out the link... it tested fine for me when I was testing it out.

Mark

CoffeeGeek Senior Editor
www.twitter.com/coffeegeek www.flickr.com/coffeegeek, www.instagram.com/coffeegeek (you get the picture)
MarkPrince

Posted Mon Jan 21, 2008, 8:19pm

The donation link is fixed and should be working fine now in the article. Please let me know if anyone has any other problems.

Mark

CoffeeGeek Senior Editor
www.twitter.com/coffeegeek www.flickr.com/coffeegeek, www.instagram.com/coffeegeek (you get the picture)
DavidBB

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Vibiemme Domobar Super...
Grinder: Mazzer Mini
Vac Pot: 8 cup FP
Drip: Hamilton Beach
Roaster: 5lb BBQ Drum, iR2
Posted Tue Jan 22, 2008, 6:31am

Paypal worked fine this morning for me (no shipping charge).. Thanks. Dave

"Once you wake up and smell the coffee, it's hard to go back to sleep".
MarkPrince

Posted Thu Jan 31, 2008, 6:48pm

I just got an email from someone who wrote

"I'd like to donate to this cause, but I don't have a Paypal account, and would prefer not to set one up. Is there another way to donate?"

There's many ways.

1. You don't need to set up a paypal account to donate via the weblink - all you need is a credit card. Paypal no longer requires you to have an account to use the service.

2. Donate by Mail - You can send a check made payable to "Coffee Kids" (and include a note that this is a donation made via the CoffeeGeek fundraiser, so they know to tell me how much I have to match), and mail it to: Coffee Kids, 1305 Luisa St, Ste C, Santa Fe, NM 87505 .

3. Donate cash by mail - heck, even though they don't advise it, slip a $5 into an envelope, and mail it off to them!

4. Donate by Phone - Call (505) 820-1443 with a current credit card handy to make your donation, and again, mention this is a dollar-for dollar matching donation made through CoffeeGeek.

Your donations are tax deductible, and CoffeeKids will send you a receipt.

Mark

CoffeeGeek Senior Editor
MarkPrince

Posted Thu Feb 28, 2008, 7:23pm

Some updates and news for all of you.

There's been donations by 10 generous people to the CoffeeKids cause, including one amazing donation of $800! The total raised through these donations is  $1,110, including two one $100 donation, two $50 donations, and several other generous offerings.

Tomorrow is the last day for this donation run, and I believe there's gotta be at least a few more CoffeeGeek readers out there that can pony up a few bucks for a good cause. If you read this article or these posts and thought to yourself "oh, others will be helping out..." well, ten generous people did, but considering the article's been read 24,000 times now, that's less than 1/20th of 1% of the readership. CoffeeKids needs your help!

The direct link to making a matching donation to CoffeeKids is right here.

Please, even if it's only a few bucks, consider adding to the fund drive. Even if we just double the amount of donators, going from ten to twenty, I'll be happy. No amount is too small (or too large!).

The Amazon Affiliate Link funds since the article launched are $354.22 as of today. It's way down from January, but there's still a few days of accounting to do, plus today and tomorrow. If you've been thinking about buying something from Amazon, do it today or tomorrow via that link, and up to 7% of your purchase on most items will be donated to CoffeeKids.  

I have not run the Baratza grinder auctions yet because we were trying to figure out a way to do it in the forums with the most exposure, and it just didn't work out. They will be happening starting next week, but via our fallback plan - a posting to the forums, making it a sticky, and a temporary front page article about the auctions. More details to follow.

The advertisement revenue portion of our donations also has been pushed back, because after looking at the "books", I noticed a lot of ad renewals will happen in March, not in February, and I wanted to raise the maximum amount we could - so tomorrow, the Partner Email will go out, and we'll be donating 25% of the March revenue this website generates towards CoffeeKids.

So far, this fundraising effort has raised $1,110, $500 (matching funds) and the projected $354.22 (and hopefully more) from the Amazon revenue. I'll be able to report back in a few days about the final tally on the Direct Donations (it's not too late yet folks!) and report back in a month about the grinder auctions, partner revenue, and the final tally on the Amazon revenue.

Please, let's do what we can for a very worthwhile charity. No amount is too small. If you have a few bucks kicking around in your paypal account, please consider signing it over to CoffeeKids.

Mark

CoffeeGeek Senior Editor
TTomas

Expertise: Pro Barista
Posted Sun Mar 16, 2008, 1:43pm

view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Articles > Columnist... > Give it up for...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.269062995911)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+