Articles: CoffeeGeek Columnist Feedback
What's Wrong with the WBC, Professionally Speaking
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Articles > Columnist... > What's Wrong...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
Author Messages
MarshallF
MarshallF
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: LM GS/3 MP
Grinder: Mahlkonig ProM; Baratza...
Vac Pot: Hario Nouveau, Bodum ESantos
Drip: Clever Dripper
Posted Sun Jun 22, 2008, 7:08am
Subject: Re: What's Wrong with the WBC, Professionally Speaking

IMAWriter Said:

(OT) Marshall...would you please PM me the link to your thread?

Posted June 21, 2008 link

OT Thread here
 View Profile Link to this post
pstam
pstam

Espresso: ECM, SAN MARCO, EURO 2000
Grinder: MAZZER
Vac Pot: YES
Drip: YES
Roaster: YES, HOME STYLE
Posted Sun Jun 22, 2008, 7:09am

nobbi4711 Said:

EXTREMELY GOOD POINT!!!!

We "Old Europeans" are always told that you American guys are the "showmen" ;-) So why isn't the WBC a show? F.... the hell who becomes the champion, as it's 50% by accident -> the brew temperature can't be influenced by the barista which is a big shame IMO. Having worked on a lot of machines and also several double boilers (DC, VFA, Marzocco) I absolutely disagree with the author's blog being machines like ECM Veneziano the best ever built.  But back to topic: Make a big show of it. Let other top baristas make drinks a lot for the public while the competitors do their job. Let the people try the best espresso/cappa/latte they ever had. And do the whole thing in the middle of NY City or elsewhere. Lots of Latte Art, good music and perfect coffee... I guess one such event would reach more people than 10 WBC's like the actual one.

Greetings \\//

Marcus

Posted June 22, 2008 link

It is fully and absolutely right.

Peter in Beijing
-------------------
http://www.kaffa.cn/
-------------------
I am looking for the way and the place to extend our trainning courses.
 View Profile Visit website Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
pstam
pstam

Posted Sun Jun 22, 2008, 7:13am

What “KanChan” said is quite general among the general people, consumers, baristas and most others.

Besides the problems said by “Instaurator” and “MarkPrince”, it is important for people, both baristas and consumers, to know by tasting the shots made by those competitors. Short ago, maybe for Australian championship, they have a special booth for those competitors to make shots for visitors, after they finish their show. It is a real innovation and works for interaction among competitors and visitors, I believe. I hope that it can be adapted by the following competitions.

It works in two ways; one is to educate the people what a good shot is, and the other is to show that those competitors are really qualified. This may not be a problem for other industries, but really a big doubt for coffee industry.

Back to the problems of Instaurator and Mark, the organization structure of SCAA and WBC is a big problem. For years, people talked about it, but not seen much improved. Not even seen much to do for improvement.

Internationality: there are people who expect SCAA to work not only in the US market, but also to the global market. Is that possible? Generally speaking, yes. But, the precondition for it is the leading development in the world industry. And, the second is the international management, including the international members at high management level and related structures.

SCAA is in a position which can have strong influence to the world industry, like their influence to the Italian young baristas. If it, in fact, lower the quality of coffee brewing, is it possible to keep it going forever or at least for a long period of time? Theoretically, no. Due to the very strong promotion activities and magic games, people might do it, like MacDonald did for their “qualified” hamburgers. I do hope not.

For example, our Barista Training can be better than theirs. In this case, how their promotion can be accepted by the world industry? If our baristas can make better espresso drinks, do they have to lower their quality of espresso drinks to satisfy the requirements of SCAA?

From some of the local authorities of the Chinese government, they issued some standards for baristas, but we simply forget it and no one in the local coffee industry really care of it, at least as I know.

Peter in Beijing
-------------------
-------------------
IMAWriter
IMAWriter
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Bezzera Strega
Grinder: Forte, OE Pharos,...
Vac Pot: Adcraft SS, Yama 8 cup
Drip: Brazen, Kalita, Chemex,...
Roaster: Behmor 1600, CO/UFO combo
Posted Mon Jun 23, 2008, 11:12pm

Thanks Marshall...interesting reading, especially since I frequented the cafe to which "Jasonian" referred...per his recommendation. We had a couple of shots together the next day of my visit in Lubbock.

EDIT...whoops...sorry for the OT...my bad.

Rob J (LMWDP #187)
My Music Production web site:
www.robertjason.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
alsterling
alsterling

Espresso: La Spaziale S1 (Had Expo)
Grinder: Macap M4 & Gaggia MDF
Vac Pot: Not yet...
Drip: Capresso MT-500 & Melitta...
Roaster: Hottop Digital
Posted Wed Jun 25, 2008, 10:20pm

I appreciated reading your thoughts. The reformation of standards, and the hopeful stabilization of world wide standards, is probably more probably a long term thing rather than it being a short term reality. Here in the US, I go to the trade shows and see a very young "third wave" industry, with predominantly young people at the helm. The major coffee retailers are perfecting the "Big Mac" of espresso, while WBC participants, for instance, are "going where few coffee people dare to go." It appears, from my outside view, an experimental field. So I'm not shocked by turmoil or controversy. It makes sense to me.  

My curiousity is, after you have all these trained and certified baristas, how do you find retail businesses qualified to house them? I said it on Marshall's post in the forum; there needs to be an agressive specialty coffee retailer support, training and certification program. Without that, having a bunch of trained baristas, and a few champions, won't speed up the positive growth of this industry as much as more champion retail business owners who can provide the funding and a great place for these baristas.

How about the WR(retailer)C coupled with the WBC? Makes more sense to me.

Member No.12047 - SCAA
http://www.baristaexchange.com/profile/AlSterling
Warning: Close cover before striking
"Space Available Here for Something Really Prolific"
pstam
pstam

Posted Thu Jun 26, 2008, 6:42am

alsterling Said:

How about the WR(retailer)C coupled with the WBC? Makes more sense to me.

Posted June 25, 2008 link

Wow, any further description about it?

Peter in Beijing
-------------------
-------------------
alsterling
alsterling

Espresso: La Spaziale S1 (Had Expo)
Grinder: Macap M4 & Gaggia MDF
Vac Pot: Not yet...
Drip: Capresso MT-500 & Melitta...
Roaster: Hottop Digital
Posted Thu Jun 26, 2008, 7:46am

Peter, in your earlier reply, you said;
"From some of the local authorities of the Chinese government, they issued some standards for baristas, but we simply forget it and no one in the local coffee industry really care of it, at least as I know."

I'm wondering if your interpretation of "standards" in this industry is flavored by your exposure to the Chinese government's approach to "mandating" rather than letting industry run in a more "free enterprise" manner? If I'm wrong on this, or if you have similar business freedoms as we do here in the US, I'd like to hear about that sometime.

My comments about certification in my other post were not based on a government run or mandated program. My thoughts are based on the free enterprise and "entrepenuerial friendly" atmosphere here in the US. Can a standards system go wrong? Of course. But if we only play "Devil's Advocate", then we may not get to play at all.

I just wanted to make sure you understood where I was coming from on the development of industry standards.

Best, Al

Member No.12047 - SCAA
http://www.baristaexchange.com/profile/AlSterling
Warning: Close cover before striking
"Space Available Here for Something Really Prolific"
pstam
pstam

Posted Thu Jun 26, 2008, 8:18am

First, I would say that I carefully read your post and try to avoid any mis-understanding.  But, I am still not sure of it.  So, if anything wrong, please let me know and forgive me.

alsterling Said:

I'm wondering if your interpretation of "standards" in this industry is flavored by your exposure to the Chinese government's approach to "mandating" rather than letting industry run in a more "free enterprise" manner? If I'm wrong on this, or if you have similar business freedoms as we do here in the US, I'd like to hear about that sometime.

Posted June 26, 2008 link

Yes, we are lucky enough to be free to do our business.  That is why we can ignore those standards.  There is a very important theory that everyone have to take care of their own business.  If I invested and others people to run it, what would happen?  It is not their money so they never care.

alsterling Said:

My comments about certification in my other post were not based on a government run or mandated program. My thoughts are based on the free enterprise and "entrepenuerial friendly" atmosphere here in the US. Can a standards system go wrong? Of course. But if we only play "Devil's Advocate", then we may not get to play at all.

I understand you, but in fact, it won't be the truth.  I mean, it is your good desire but it won't be going as you supposed or would, in the real world.  The mass people may not understand it as "entrepenuerial friendly", but something different.

Whatever the coffee professionals know about it, the clients might not, and if some of cafes have it labeled and others not, the clients may trust the ones with such a label.  There are two things to be concerned.  One is the difficulties of the "Standards of Coffee Drinks", and the second is that even if it can distinguish the good cafes from the "bad ones", who have the right to disturb others' business?  Who judge and who take the activities?  If we could do, we could do the same to Mcdonald, I suppose.  But, but, I do not think so.

alsterling Said:

I just wanted to make sure you understood where I was coming from on the development of industry standards.

Sorry, I really cannot be sure what it means.

Peter in Beijing
-------------------
-------------------
Ishida

Posted Thu Jul 3, 2008, 8:06am

Almost the same here in Brazil.. I just think it's a little worse...
 View Profile Visit website Contact via ICQ Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Articles > Columnist... > What's Wrong...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.303749084473)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+