Articles: CoffeeGeek Columnist Feedback
Instant Convenience, Mermaids, Good Enough?, Professionally Speaking
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Articles > Columnist... > Instant...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 3 of 3 first page previous page
Author Messages
treynolds

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Estro 410
Grinder: Cuisinart Burr Grinder
Vac Pot: Corey
Drip: Cuisinart DTC975
Roaster: Commercial Convection Oven
Posted Thu Apr 2, 2009, 12:11pm
Subject: Re: Instant Convenience, Mermaids, Good Enough?, Professionally Speaking

KevinK Said:

The current product choices (Colombian and Italian Roast) are just plain stupid, but I distinctly recall tasting instant Sumatra that was a dead-ringer for fresh-brewed.

Posted February 22, 2009 link

As for SBUX roasting too dark, I roast specifically for the facility I run. I have a three-variety blend that most visitors exclaim to be "the best coffee they've ever tasted". Now that's a matter of opinion, but the main demarcation between my roast and char-Bucks is that mine isn't over-roasted. I'm sure this could be applied to most small roasters, because your average person OFF THE STREET has never tasted micro-roaster, fresh coffee.

Great article. I HAVE had a sample of the VIA instant, and even  though I roast my own, I thought that this was a credible product that I wouldn't mind using for those situations where a decent instant would be preferable: a motel room, backpacking, etc. I'm not saying it's great, and I don't think any person who really cares about their cuppa would say it was, but I found it to be far better than ANY instant I've had in the past. I don't buy whole-bean coffee from SBUX. I don't get their calorie-loaded milk based drinks anymore either. I will however, get a cup of drip when desperate, even though I'd rather go to Pete's or Tully's. The VIA product isn't aimed at me or in fact ANYONE who writes on this or any other coffee website. It's aimed at the masses. That's okay by me: there's room in the middle, and as has been said, that means more distinction and more room for the smaller, specialty roasters.

:)  Tony
 View Profile Link to this post
matticus

Posted Fri May 1, 2009, 8:23pm
Subject: Re: Instant Convenience, Mermaids, Good Enough?, Professionally Speaking

vernonbishop Said:

That was one of the most brutal reviews of a product that I have ever seen!!!

Posted February 23, 2009 link

Yeah, but baffling at the same time.  I had the opportunity to sample this product as well, and like many of the other reviewers, found it to be more than sufficient in the instant coffee market segment.  How the Guardian reviewer could admit to liking Starbucks Americano but not the Via Instant just doesn't make sense to me--the Starbucks Americano is awful and frankly has a very similar flavor profile to this stuff.

I hope that they decide to start selling it in jars, because instant coffee is a great ingredient to have around for baking and desserts (and if your hot chocolate doesn't have a bit of instant coffee or superfine espresso powder in it, you're doing it wrong), and this stuff really is an improvement on the depth of flavor produced by instant coffee.
Lady_Croft
Lady_Croft

Espresso: None :(
Grinder: Baratza virtuoso
Vac Pot: Yama tabletop
Drip: Mellita ceramic pourover
Posted Mon May 11, 2009, 8:38am

exbarista Said:

and they do provide a relatively good and consistent coffee product more often than not.

Posted March 26, 2009 link

Really? You truly think so?
I would have to disagree whole-heartedly.  If they in fact did provide a relatively good and consistant coffee product, I might EVER consider going there and paying far
too much for one.  But in my experience with Starbucks, wherever I go, (In fact, I've kept logs on road trips to record my experiences at various sbx) they provide a dependably BAD coffee product, and CONSISTANTLY screw up my drinks, so that not only do I pay too much, but it's for complete and utter garbage. I end up leaving fuming mad with another 4 bucks down the drain!
I worked at Starbucks - I know what goes on back there. It's a bunch of people who don't give a crap about coffee. People who've been working there for MONTHS still can't figure out how to properly steam milk, blend a frappuccino correctly, or (this one still boggles my mind)  make an iced latte with the correct proportions! There are LINES on the cup, and they STILL can't get it right! Why? Because they could really not care less.
The superauto machines, in my opinion, offer as varied of shots as any, and when the "baristi" don't care that a shot just poured out in 6 seconds and looked like water, or that the beans smell rancid, you might as well have a monkey operating them. But I suppose if you get a drink with enough sugar and thick syrups, you won't notice.

Why do we complain about starbucks? Well I don't know about you, but I do because I feel violated by them. My first introcuction into the "specialty coffee" world, for which I was bubbling over with enthusiasm, turned out to be a lie - I was decieved, and then my true passion for quality was stomped on!  It goes around proclaiming itself to be truly good coffee and quality driven when it is the complete opposite.  If everyone would just recognize what it really is (which might happen now, with the instant coffee) then it would be fine! You don't see coffee afficianados going on about Mcdonalds, or Holiday coffee - because they are what they claim to be, not standing in a place where they ought not like Starbucks.
~Jessie
maninthemoon
maninthemoon

Posted Mon Jun 29, 2009, 11:01am

Starbucks has always been barely "good enough." (Or less, as far as I, and many others here are concerned.) Actually, if Starbucks were the only option left, I would probably start drinking tea. So how is this new "good enough" approach anything different? I do agree that having a quality instant would be really great for baking, especially in my cheesecakes. But putting the words "Starbucks" and "quality" in the same sentence should disqualify you as a coffee geek. However, we owe Starbucks a lot. There have been many articles written and observations about the fact that when a Starbucks moves in, the local independent coffeehouses nearby see a marked increase in business. Their advancement of the coffee culture in general has benefited coffee everywhere. And their lack of quality has really helped 1st class roasters differentiate themselves and create a demand. So hopefully, if this new foray into instant proves successful, it might spur a similar reaction in the instant market, upping the ante as it were.
amygoertz
amygoertz
Expertise: I live coffee

Posted Tue Jun 30, 2009, 6:56pm

Starbucks drinks are often seen as inconsistent because you know the standard to which they should be made. You don't go into an independent cafe and say "Hey, I asked for that white mocha half-sweet, why'd you put 3-pumps in it?" but because Starbucks has the calling-marking system, well known recipes and everyone knows their "language" it's easy to tell if your drink is different than last time/how you want it.

Just sayin'.
pravspresso

Espresso: Quickmill Alexia: Watlow PID
Grinder: Mazzer Super Jolly
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Sat Aug 29, 2009, 5:53pm

Most Sheeple can't tell the difference between a horrible and good cup. "myself included at one point in time"

300 plus sheeple at my work use the commercial drip brew machine with pre-ground packets which smell

like sewage and give me headaches "not exaggerating".

They lap that stuff up like it was going out of fashion. A few friends at work still continue to buy

starbucks drinks even after they complain about the drink time and time again.

The ones they buy which are full of flavour shots always come out good "go figure ;) :p

The little coffee shop near our workplace tries real hard to offer up good services.

They are super super busy & benefit from a fantastic location.

Busier then Starbucks down the street. That says a lot IMHO.
andyandrews35

Espresso: Francis! Francis! X3
Grinder: BrAun KMM30
Roaster: POPLITE # 04820
Posted Wed Nov 4, 2009, 5:15am

1. It's really a jungle out there nowadays.  I know people that don't understand coffee that are paying out megabucks for those Keurig reconstitutions.

2. Then you have many Euros going with "pods."  Personally I would rather drink instant than those junky things.  No matter what anyone says, I know if I went to your house and tested them, they would contain stale coffee.

3. Then you have Strarbucks, don't they have to survive?  Mr. Donut and others stole their coffee groove, how do they fight back?  I think they are correct,  in this way,  many people are drinking horrid coffee at work.  VIA will taste better than probably 90% of (American) work coffee.

4. I tried the French Press it is a silly amount of mess for what you get, which is still watery coffee.  So I will stick with my Espresso machine at home.  I have to get up early just to have a few cups so I can last the day in the jungle of bad coffee!
MrHasselblad
MrHasselblad
Expertise: I live coffee

Posted Fri Jun 25, 2010, 9:26am

What is a reasonable price for instants? I've noticed the grocery tags clearly factually stating that the cost per ounce is about $8.50
Cc
Cc
Expertise: Just starting

Posted Wed Jun 30, 2010, 11:31pm

Instant coffee?Many prefer it for convenience.
But since office has automatic machine, it is not so popular as before.
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
showing page 3 of 3 first page previous page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Articles > Columnist... > Instant...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.2695748806)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+