Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Articles: CoffeeGeek Columnist Feedback
The Nuova Simonelli Aurelia, Part 1 by Mark Prince
Donate to Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids works with farming communities around the world, improving lives. Donate today.
www.coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Articles > Columnist... > The Nuova...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
MarkPrince

Expertise: Professional

Espresso: KvdW Speedster
Grinder: Versalab M3 Grinder
Vac Pot: A bit too many
Drip: Bonavita
Roaster: Hario Glass Retro Roaster
Posted Fri Apr 17, 2009, 12:00am
Subject: The Nuova Simonelli Aurelia, Part 1 by Mark Prince

The Nuova Simonelli Aurelia, Part 1
by Mark Prince

CoffeeGeek gets some serious examination time with the official World Barista Championship espresso machine - the WBC-spec Nuova Simonelli Aurelia. First in a two part look.
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
serifb
serifb
Expertise: Pro Barista

Espresso: Rancilio Classe 10 SDE...
Grinder: Rancilio MD 80, Rocky
Roaster: Has Garanti 10 SHE
Posted Sat Apr 18, 2009, 6:52pm
Subject: Re: The Nuova Simonelli Aurelia, Part 1 by Mark Prince

I'm currently in Atlanta and i used last years Aurelia and also the new Aurelia yesterday at the WBC "backstage" for competitor (I was coaching the Turkish Barista). I just wanted add one thing to the article and also correct you about the weight of the group heads. The advertorial video of Nuova Simonelli with Stephen Morrisey that we watched before the Finalist announcements said that the group heads are 4,7 kg and not 8 kg like in your article or like Breciano told you.

And another thing is; in one of your pictres are "multiple cups" button shown. The cups looking up side down and shows the "cup heater". It is adjustable with an resistans on top of the single boiler and you can turn in off and let the cups heat them self with just the head of the boiler itself.

The machine itself..... i think it never can make it in to the same level with the Marzocco's... but i heard some of $400-480K's for sponsorships over 3 years.... and i guess money thoes matter in the competitions... and not just performance! (hope that a capsul machine manufacturer does not pay more to be the next machine sponsor).

Regards,

Serif
 View Profile Visit website Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
JonR10
JonR10
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: E61 Legend, Livietta,...
Grinder: Robur, B-Vario-W
Vac Pot: Hario Tabletop, Yama...
Drip: Technivorm
Roaster: 1-lb US Roaster, Behmor 1600
Posted Sat Apr 18, 2009, 7:23pm

I was surprised when I first heard that LaMarz wasn't being used this year....but this looks like a pretty cool machine in its own right.  i'll be very interested to read your detailed review and experiences pulling shots.

Jon Rosenthal
Houston, TX
serifb
serifb

Espresso: Rancilio Classe 10 SDE...
Grinder: Rancilio MD 80, Rocky
Roaster: Has Garanti 10 SHE
Posted Sat Apr 18, 2009, 7:49pm

I'm using myself back in my office Heatexchanged machines (a 3grp Rancilio Classe 10 SDE and a 2 grp Rancilio Classe 8). Heat exchanger machines having in my opinion advantages and disatvantages, it depents how busy your cafe is and how many shot you pull one after the other...

The single boiler machines are usefull and good if you DON'T have a busy cafe, because the heat exchanger keeps maximum 300-400 ml water and pumps after each used 100 ml or so FRESH water in to his heat exchangers again and again... so is the Nuova Simonelli.

Double boiler like Marzocco's are more consistent, if you pull several shot in a short time... but if you just pull 10-20 shots in 1 hour, the water stays to long in group head boiler and i think it kills al the minerals of the water... makes it a little "bitter"... please correct me if i'm wrong

I can use the Nuova Simonelli in my office and mabe in my country, because we don't have so many cafes,which are pulling 4-5 kg coffees a day, mostly 10 kg a week or less. But i would like to see the performance of the Nuova Simonelli in example Australia where i was used to work for 6 years and pulling 6-8 kg coffees every day. Would like to see if the steam and the brew is consistent.
 View Profile Visit website Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
andys
andys
Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: Speedster, Londinium 1
Grinder: EK-43,Robur, HG One, M3
Vac Pot: Yama
Drip: various
Roaster: PIDed Popper
Posted Sat Apr 18, 2009, 9:48pm

Hi Mark, thanks for the interesting report.

-AndyS
picture page:  http://flickr.com/photos/andy_s/sets/
andys
andys
Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: Speedster, Londinium 1
Grinder: EK-43,Robur, HG One, M3
Vac Pot: Yama
Drip: various
Roaster: PIDed Popper
Posted Sat Apr 18, 2009, 9:50pm

MarkPrince Said:

The crucial addition is a PID, or progressive integral derivative controller

Posted April 17, 2009 link

Actually, proportional integral derivative controller.

MarkPrince Said:

I made a mental note to see how much going from 1.2 bar to 1.15 bar would make on the grouphead temperature.

Posted April 17, 2009 link

That's about a 1.4F step down in boiler temperature; one would expect a slightly smaller step down in brew water temperature, say about 1F.

But you probably Scaced it....

-AndyS
picture page:  http://flickr.com/photos/andy_s/sets/
wushoes
wushoes

Espresso: La Marzocco Mistral and FB80
Grinder: Compak K10 WBC, Robur
Vac Pot: Hario and Yama
Roaster: Donnie Lee
Posted Sat Apr 18, 2009, 11:53pm

The multiple cups button is most likely for the cup heater element on top of the machine.

Controlling the boiler using pressure input PID for a HX makes sense. But I am with you, I'd like to see tighter pressure control on the PID (if possible).
MarkPrince

Posted Mon Apr 20, 2009, 12:47am

andys Said:

Actually, proportional integral derivative controller.

That's about a 1.4F step down in boiler temperature; one would expect a slightly smaller step down in brew water temperature, say about 1F.

But you probably Scaced it....

Posted April 18, 2009 link

Thanks for the correction Andy - I ha googled PID for the correct term (I always seem to screw up the P), and I literally cut and pasted it from a PID info website somewhere, but I see elsewhere its proportional.

Re temps... this is in Part 2, but it is 2F on this machine (the 0.5 down or up); I ran a scace on it and documented it with photos. I thought that was pretty huge. I may have to go back and run a more structured test; the one I did was not completely informal, but it wasn't repeated, which i should have done.

17l boiler size play into this at all?

Mark

CoffeeGeek Senior Editor
www.twitter.com/coffeegeek www.flickr.com/coffeegeek, www.instagram.com/coffeegeek (you get the picture)
MarkPrince

Posted Mon Apr 20, 2009, 1:05am

serifb Said:

The advertorial video of Nuova Simonelli with Stephen Morrisey that we watched before the Finalist announcements said that the group heads are 4,7 kg and not 8 kg like in your article or like Breciano told you.

Posted April 18, 2009 link

Does the video say 4.7kg?

Bresciani told me 8kg. I lifted it, it was heavy.

Nuova Simonelli's white paper on the group says it is '12 pounds", which is 5.7kg

One is probably right, the other two are wrong.  i'll go with the documented white paper and revise the article.

Mark

CoffeeGeek Senior Editor
www.twitter.com/coffeegeek www.flickr.com/coffeegeek, www.instagram.com/coffeegeek (you get the picture)
enveng

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Waiting to get a semi-pro...
Grinder: Capresso Infinity
Drip: Cuisinart Brew Central
Posted Fri Apr 24, 2009, 8:58am

That flaw is the lack of an accurate, instant temperature readout of what the machine is producing in terms of temperatures at the grouphead

Odd that the machine doesn't give grouphead temperature.  But isn't it possible that pressure is the best controlling signal for temperature?  Funny, though...even if pressure was the best controlling factor, the PID could easily be set up to control pressure off a temperature set point.  There are other factors that may have figured into the NS engineers design, though.

When you draw a shot, the tank pressure will always drop before the grouphead temperature responds (although I can't imagine this would take long).   It is probable, too, that the grouphead temperature ramps or decays more slowly than does the tank pressure signal.  So, theoretically, reading/controlling pressure could result in faster (tighter) process control.  

I'd be curious as to your data points when you hook up your temp probe.  In particular, could you get the time lag between pressure drop and temperature rise?  I'd love to see pressure and temp response plotted on a time scale over several shots drawn.

Dan
 View Profile Link to this post
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Articles > Columnist... > The Nuova...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.327003002167)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+