Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Articles: CoffeeGeek Columnist Feedback
SCAA Photo Essay: Barista Setups, Road Reports
Quick Mill Machines
Free extended warranty & shipping. Enter email for best price / match
espressooutlet.net

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Articles > Columnist... > SCAA Photo...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
MarkPrince

Expertise: Professional

Espresso: KvdW Speedster
Grinder: Versalab M3 Grinder
Vac Pot: A bit too many
Drip: Bonavita
Roaster: Hario Glass Retro Roaster
Posted Tue Apr 27, 2004, 11:00pm
Subject: SCAA Photo Essay: Barista Setups, Road Reports

SCAA Photo Essay: Barista Setups
Road Reports article by Mark Prince

In the first of several photo essays from the SCAA Atlanta show, we present to you a collection of "setups" that the USBC Baristi used to compete.
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
cheapdialogue
cheapdialogue

Espresso: Marzocco Linea 3AV
Grinder: Espresso- Mazzer, Drip-Bunn
Vac Pot: I  can still dream...
Drip: Curtis APS
Roaster: Dreaming of a Probat
Posted Wed Apr 28, 2004, 7:35am
Subject: Re: SCAA Photo Essay: Barista Setups, Road Reports

Those are some straight up beautiful setups. I like how everyone keeps it classy but simple. Thanks for the shots Mark, and thanks to all those baristi for putting those together.

- Alexarc -

www.theblackdrop.com

"Be seeing you..." -#6
 View Profile Visit website Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Link to this post
espressoDOM
espressoDOM
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: WEGA Lyra (vibe)
Grinder: Mazzer Mini
Vac Pot: (no more coffee equipment)
Drip: French Press
Roaster: Hot Top Roaster; Fresh Roast...
Posted Wed Apr 28, 2004, 9:54am

I guess what would be interesting is if we could get some attendees or some of the informed crowd to break down what i am looking at... sure I get the tamper...the cups...the bar towels...water....but outside of that... i am having sensory overload trying to understand what is what when I look at some of those photos... very cool pics though... would love to dissect what I am looking at though... THX MARK

DOM...evil genius ...Up to no good in espresso at all times... VIVA la parts de Espresso
MarkPrince

Posted Wed Apr 28, 2004, 11:21am

This photo essay is primarily geared towards the pro baristi who want to see the kinds of setups that existed at the show.

I wish I could have gotten the chance or the time to sit down with all the Baristi and get comments from them, but time constraints, the wont for Baristi to keep their preps close to their chest, and my role as a judge (no extended fraternizing with the competitors while competition was going on) prevented it.

Mark

CoffeeGeek Senior Editor
www.twitter.com/coffeegeek www.flickr.com/coffeegeek, www.instagram.com/coffeegeek (you get the picture)
xristrettox
xristrettox
Expertise: Just starting

Posted Wed Apr 28, 2004, 11:21am

Hey Mark,

Did you by chance get a photo of my blend presentation?  I would love to have a photo of that as a keepsake... either on line or physically.

Cheers.

billy wilson
nickcho
nickcho
Expertise: Pro Barista

Espresso: this
Grinder: that
Vac Pot: yes
Drip: drop
Roaster: Trish!
Posted Wed Apr 28, 2004, 11:41am

espressoDOM Said:

I guess what would be interesting is if we could get some attendees or some of the informed crowd to break down what i am looking at... sure I get the tamper...the cups...the bar towels...water....but outside of that... i am having sensory overload trying to understand what is what when I look at some of those photos... very cool pics though... would love to dissect what I am looking at though... THX MARK

Posted April 28, 2004 link

Well, as a competitor, I'd have to tell you first and foremost that it would probably not be cool to reveal too much about other baristi's setups, at least without their permission.

I can generalize with this though: you see the standard stuff (as you mentioned): tamper, espresso cups, cappuccino cups, water glasses & pitchers, espresso beans, spoons... everything else is either related to a centerpiece (sugar, plants, etc.) or to the specialty drink.

I can certainly describe my personal setup, #14 in the list of images.  Left to right: sake set that I ended up not using, wisk for specialty drink, measuring cups, whipped cream "chargers," menu clips for individual menus presented to the judges, cappuccino cups (from Pottery Barn... needed something between 4-6 ounces), 4 7/8oz shot glasses (just for practice and setup), illy nude espresso cups (a bit controversial for sure) pitchers, water glasses, jar of Korean ginger/honey tea, big container of special shaved dark chocolate mix, both for the specialty drink.

Hope this helps!
Nick

www.wreckingballcoffee.com - www.portafilter.net
 View Profile Visit website Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
MarkPrince

Posted Wed Apr 28, 2004, 11:48am

xristrettox Said:

Hey Mark,

Did you by chance get a photo of my blend presentation?  I would love to have a photo of that as a keepsake... either on line or physically.

I sure did Billy. It's going to be in the series of photos I post from the finals. I got several of them... on your bar, as you carried it over, as you presented it.

They're 3.5mb each in the origiinal form. It might be better if I cut a CD and give you the images when I head down to Portland.

BTW guy, you did awesome, I hope you know that. You were very consistent during your three performances, and you put balls to the wall with your single origin drink as a sig in the first round. Remember the advice I gave you on that one...

Also, if you want to find out what Norweigian did the same thing back in 2000 or 2001, someone like Tone or even Sherri might know his name. The sig drink was called "sweet sidamo" and was straight up sidamo brewed into tiny shooter stemmed glasses with some sugar.

Cheers

Mark

CoffeeGeek Senior Editor
www.twitter.com/coffeegeek www.flickr.com/coffeegeek, www.instagram.com/coffeegeek (you get the picture)
MarkPrince

Posted Wed Apr 28, 2004, 11:51am

nickcho Said:

illy nude espresso cups (a bit controversial for sure)

Tip: explain to the judges the difference between crystal and glass (and how crystal retains heat better)... not only do you get to use the super cool illy cups (make sure your crema is solid!), but you gain barista skill points by being knowledgeable.

BTW Nick. I will get to your emails. I'm overloaded in email right now - I didn't really respond to any for five days, and I've got a back log approaching 400 to deal with.  There goes my afternoon... my evening... overnight... :)

Mark

CoffeeGeek Senior Editor
espressoDOM
espressoDOM
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: WEGA Lyra (vibe)
Grinder: Mazzer Mini
Vac Pot: (no more coffee equipment)
Drip: French Press
Roaster: Hot Top Roaster; Fresh Roast...
Posted Wed Apr 28, 2004, 12:42pm

THX for the breakdown Murky.... what are chargers if you don't mind the silly questions....

did you have fun in Atlanta.... sounds like it was very fun and educational to boot....

again Mark thanks for the information overload.... definitely a cool visual ride

DOM...evil genius ...Up to no good in espresso at all times... VIVA la parts de Espresso
nickcho
nickcho
Expertise: Pro Barista

Espresso: this
Grinder: that
Vac Pot: yes
Drip: drop
Roaster: Trish!
Posted Wed Apr 28, 2004, 2:04pm

espressoDOM Said:

THX for the breakdown Murky.... what are chargers if you don't mind the silly questions....

did you have fun in Atlanta.... sounds like it was very fun and educational to boot....

again Mark thanks for the information overload.... definitely a cool visual ride

Chargers... NO2 cartridges.  Surprisingly, treated as an almost "controlled substance" in some stores (apparently, they can serve some sort of altered-state purpose).

Fun?  Hanging out with USBC competitors... "talking shop" with people as stupid about this stuff as you are... clinking plastic beer cups with Mark Prince... getting to see the parade of Chinese silk blouses on Sherri Johns... gawking at all of the booth-girls from South America... getting to put your hands on espresso equipment still months from official release...

Nope... no fun at all. :-P  As great as Mark's photos are, they don't do the experience justice.

For those who attended, but didn't hang out with the Barista Guild group... you missed out.  There's always Seattle next year.

Nick

www.wreckingballcoffee.com - www.portafilter.net
 View Profile Visit website Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Articles > Columnist... > SCAA Photo...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.369693040848)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+