Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Articles: CoffeeGeek Columnist Feedback
Barista Basics... Or Not!, Professionally Speaking
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Articles > Columnist... > Barista...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 3 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
MatthewB
MatthewB
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Silvia
Grinder: Moulinex
Vac Pot: Bodum french press
Drip: Starbucks Quattro
Posted Wed May 5, 2004, 11:33am
Subject: Re: Barista Basics... Or Not!, Professionally Speaking

When I spoke on behalf of the average consumer (including myself) it was merely to illustrate my point.  I do agree with,

I dont think the average coffeeshop customer knows or cares about a good cup of coffee

but one must also consider that people that frequent the "Starbucks" atmosphere type coffee shops (which are the customers I was refering to), also desire a high quality drink.  If these individuals didn't care they would not make that special trip and wait in the line ups.  It is these people that a company can tap into by offering higher quality coffee/espresso based drinks with the implimentation of a formal training program.  Like I said before I am not in the business, but I can certainly say what about a business makes me want to come back again and again.

I think the author was preaching to the choir

I guess I am just being optimistic
 View Profile Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
jbig
jbig

Espresso: La Pavoni PG-16, La Cimbali...
Grinder: Mazzer Mini (Black),...
Posted Wed May 5, 2004, 12:42pm

MatthewB Said:

When I spoke on behalf of the average consumer (including myself) it was merely to illustrate my point.  I do agree with,

but one must also consider that people that frequent the "Starbucks" atmosphere type coffee shops (which are the customers I was refering to), also desire a high quality drink.  If these individuals didn't care they would not make that special trip and wait in the line ups.  It is these people that a company can tap into by offering higher quality coffee/espresso based drinks with the implimentation of a formal training program.  Like I said before I am not in the business, but I can certainly say what about a business makes me want to come back again and again.

I guess I am just being optimistic

Posted May 5, 2004 link

I honestly feel those who are buying and drinking instant coffee are only looking for a warm drink and wouldn't know a good cup from backwash.

Personally, I would drive past 3 $tarbucks to any small roadside coffee shop if they had the quality goods to offer and experienced hand to finesse the nectar from the machine. After all it's not the price we pay to get a good espresso, latte, cappuccino, or machiatto… it’s the price we pay if we accept inferior quality from the chains that are out to make more by offering less, instead of looking to make more by offering more, like better trained Baristi, quality beans, and properly maintained equipment.

I am, at most, a knowledgeable beginner in the field of making acceptable espresso based drinks, I love to drink them all, and I have quality home equipment. I study hard to make myself better at the trade through reading then applying what I’ve learned, and by trial and error. I have thrown out better espresso drinks at home than some of the dinks I’ve paid top dollar for at the local chain. I one day hope to consider myself a Barista and open a shop where people can come to appreciate the way espresso should taste and be presented.

It really bothers me to see places like the big $…bucks let there name be brought down by allowing the crap that most of their stores are serving be associated with their name, a name that help bring awareness to the enjoyment of espresso.

Back to the basics… you betcha! The big boys out there had better take notice, for it wont be long before some one has the tenacity and finance to challenge what has been established as acceptable in the unenlightened world at large.

Training-practice-training-practice-training-practice…. You get the idea.

The most seasoned veteran still shows up for training camp if s/he hopes to stay in the game.
 View Profile Link to this post
Horst

Espresso: La Scala Butterfly
Grinder: Demoka, Zassenhaus
Vac Pot: Bodum
Drip: Bodum singlecup presspot
Roaster: Hearthware Precision
Posted Thu May 6, 2004, 8:20am

And it would be so easy in the first place.
Future cafe owners should resist in buying shiny and expensive machines and instead invest in cheaper but reliable ones . The saved money could then be used for training their staff.
That way everybody is happy, - the owner, because he didn´t loose money - the baristi, because they know why and what they do and ultimately the customer, because he gets a great beverage.
handcannon

Espresso: PIDed Zaffiro
Grinder: MCI, Innova, Zass, Capresso
Drip: Capresso Aroma Classic 461
Roaster: Modded FR & WBs
Posted Fri May 7, 2004, 12:12pm

As a road warrior who generally can't wait to get home and have some good shots to start a Saturday,  my measure of shots on the road is "is this up to an _average_ home shot?"  If it is a least that good, then I will turn back to the counter to tip the barista responsible for it.  I think that good performance with a non-superauto should be rewarded to the accompaniment of loud praise.  This will certainly not hurt and can only give additional impetus towards quality drinks.

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most."  A. Brilliant
brentling
brentling
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: wega, fiorenzato
Grinder: Growing collection of...
Drip: yes people call me that...
Roaster: collection building...
Posted Tue May 11, 2004, 2:52pm

Having been stuck in Sydney for a week - I can comment on Micels Patisseries - I found the coffee to be more than acceptable. The same order each day, was delivered consistently. They had some of the better coffee I found in Sydney. (I had no time to find the recommended cafes and had to take what I could find)
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
ant

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: sunbeam em6910
Grinder: sunbeam em0480
Vac Pot: hario syphon
Roaster: 1kg sample roaster at work
Posted Wed May 12, 2004, 6:02am

The Bayswiss store here in Brisbane used to serve really well prepared vittoria oro.  However, now two of the main baristi have left- one due to promotion, and another due to disagreements with the current manager there.  

What's interesting to note is the grumbling from some of the regular patrons there and they lament the fact that the coffee just isn't what it used to be.  I've been told some funny stories where they go and peek at who is behind the machine, and if its not someone that they trust, they run off to Zaraffas around the corner instead.
 View Profile Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
javagallll
javagallll
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: elektra
Grinder: ditting
Drip: Newco
Roaster: toper
Posted Thu May 13, 2004, 7:08pm

It's the love of coffee that makes good coffee.....
joaojaiba
joaojaiba
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: VFA / Ranccilio
Roaster: Atila
Posted Thu May 27, 2004, 8:42am

Good point Mr.Sabados, in Brazil we can see similar case. The sell grow 100% at 1 or 2 months after training.
serifb
serifb
Expertise: Pro Barista

Espresso: Rancilio Classe 10 SDE...
Grinder: Rancilio MD 80, Rocky
Roaster: Has Garanti 10 SHE
Posted Sun May 1, 2005, 1:43am

george "is" one of my baristi (the other barista was paul basset, before he left our franchise) and my coffee sales incrased from 14 kilos in the first months to 23 kilos in the first anniversary and incrased another 10 kilos until now (the second year) in a 5 days/week shop (32-35 kilos in 5 days current sales).

george knows really what he is talking about coffee and he's new barsiter crew (natalie and simon) are great trainers too.

i'm very happy to be an franchisee, who is been "controlled" be an professional like george...

thanks
 View Profile Visit website Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
ausrs
ausrs
Expertise: I live coffee

Posted Tue Jun 28, 2005, 2:57am

serifb Said:

i'm very happy to be an franchisee, who is been "controlled" be an professional like George...

thanks

Posted May 1, 2005 link

George ,was one of my trainers .......cant forget Harry either ,Natalie has also had some input on my training (and will continue to )
i am also very happy to be a " controlled " professional the backup/feedback is there ..monitored so that standards do not slip ............they raise the bar even higher
showing page 2 of 3 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Articles > Columnist... > Barista...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.453811168671)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+