Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Articles: CoffeeGeek Columnist Feedback
Weight Based Grinding Becomes Reality: Baratza's New Thing (Exclusive)
Rancilio Silvia - How to
Step by step guide for easy brewing and steaming with the Rancilio Silvia
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Articles > Columnist... > Weight Based...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 5 last page next page
Author Messages
MarkPrince
MarkPrince
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: KvdW Speedster
Grinder: Compak K10 WBC
Vac Pot: A bit too many
Drip: Clive Coffee Drip Stand
Roaster: Hario Glass Retro Roaster
Posted Tue Apr 19, 2011, 12:00am
Subject: Weight Based Grinding Becomes Reality: Baratza's New Thing (Exclusive)

Weight Based Grinding Becomes Reality: Baratza's New Thing (Exclusive)
by Mark Prince

Exclusive: a sneak peak and detailed look at a new potentially revolutionary grinder accessory and grinder from Baratza that doses specific volumes via user-selectable weight: the Esatto and Vario-E products.
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
jammin
jammin
Expertise: I love coffee

Grinder: Vario-W
Vac Pot: Hario
Drip: manual
Roaster: quest m3
Posted Tue Apr 19, 2011, 12:51am
Subject: Baratza's New Thing (Exclusive) by Mark Prince

This is a big step forward in grinder technology!

roast your own
 View Profile Link to this post
Jakeperfecto

Expertise: Pro Barista

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Vac Pot: rubber seal clamp
Drip: not for me
Roaster: locally fresh
Posted Tue Apr 19, 2011, 2:25am
Subject: Re: Weight Based Grinding Becomes Reality:

Without the portifilter holder you loose time and make a mess.  I have my Vario dialed in.  If it's not broke don't fix it.
SteveRhinehart
SteveRhinehart
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: 1970s La Pavoni Europiccola
Grinder: Baratza Vario, Hario Skerton
Vac Pot: Yama Tabletop 3-cup
Drip: Chemex, CCD, Kalita Wave,...
Roaster: Flavorwave/Stir Crazy
Posted Tue Apr 19, 2011, 4:32am
Subject: Re: Weight Based Grinding Becomes Reality:

How many seconds do you loose (sic) in dumping grounds into a portafilter? Are they that costly? Chill.

What exciting news though! Even if the first run is buggy, it's a big step to see integrated scales on the consumer market. I do wish they had a solution for existing Varios though. I can't afford a new grinder just yet, but I am itching to toss my current Salter scale. I can just imagine how much more smoothly my mornings would go with the weighing streamlined in!
AldoCoffee
AldoCoffee

Espresso: Linea, Cimbali Jr
Grinder: 2 Jollys, Swift, Zass,...
Vac Pot: Hario TCA2, Yama TCA5
Drip: Fetco, Abid, V60, Chemex
Roaster: Stumptown, Intelli, LaVerdad
Posted Tue Apr 19, 2011, 4:32am
Subject: Re: Weight Based Grinding Becomes Reality: Baratza's New Thing

Mark,
You lost us on the point about waste in a cafe setting. Every shop I've been to that does single cup brewing well premeasures doses and runs them through a Guatemala or Ditting or similar grinder. There's no waste above whatever it takes to dial in a particular coffee to determine the correct dose. And you can run any coffee at any time during service as long as you have it pre-dosed (which is simple to do). So we're not getting the point on savings. Are we missing something here?
mute

Espresso: Alex Duetto II
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Drip: Bodum French Press
Posted Tue Apr 19, 2011, 7:04am
Subject: Re: Weight Based Grinding Becomes Reality: Baratza's New Thing (Exclusive)

I should preface this post with saying that I am in the market for a grinder and the Vario is at the top of my list based on features and price (it's not winning any competitions in the looks department with all those dials and buttons).

That said, I sort of feel like this is a solution for a problem that doesn't exist (in it's current implementation anyway). We'll all agree that weight based dosing is better (more accurate) than timed dosing.

If, as the article said, +/- .2-.5g resolution is considered acceptable, where is the need for a weight based dosing mechanism if a timer based mechanism is able to dole out the same amount of coffee at a significantly lower price? Are timer based Varios able to accomplish that?

Furthermore, a timer based Vario does not remove your ability to grind directly into a portafilter, removing the need to transfer grinds from a grind catcher into a portafilter. I do think that a smaller insert for the grind catcher would be a must have for espresso grinding with a Vario-e.

In my case when I do want to weigh my dose (when I want to verify that my grinder is dialed in, when using a new blend of coffee, etc) the act of grinding into a vessel to weigh (on the digital .1g resolution scale I paid $7 for shipped) does not add an appreciable amount of time to the process.

I think for something like this to be really revolutionary, a grinder would need to grind into a weighing chamber, then dole out the completed dose into a portafilter. It seems like a step in the right direction though..
CoffeeRoastersClub
CoffeeRoastersClub

Espresso: Vintage La Pavoni Lever...
Grinder: Breville Smartgrind,...
Vac Pot: Vintage Silex, Nicro...
Drip: Technivorm Moccamaster...
Roaster: javaPRO-CRC AIR Fluid Bed...
Posted Tue Apr 19, 2011, 7:25am
Subject: Re: Weight Based Grinding Becomes Reality: Baratza's New Thing (Exclusive)

mute Said:

I should preface this post with saying that I am in the market for a grinder and the Vario is at the top of my list based on features and price (it's not winning any competitions in the looks department with all those dials and buttons).

That said, I sort of feel like this is a solution for a problem that doesn't exist (in it's current implementation anyway). We'll all agree that weight based dosing is better (more accurate) than timed dosing.

If, as the article said, +/- .2-.5g resolution is considered acceptable, where is the need for a weight based dosing mechanism if a timer based mechanism is able to dole out the same amount of coffee at a significantly lower price? Are timer based Varios able to accomplish that?

Furthermore, a timer based Vario does not remove your ability to grind directly into a portafilter, removing the need to transfer grinds from a grind catcher into a portafilter. I do think that as the a smaller insert for the grind catcher would be a must have for espresso grinding with a Vario-e.

In my case when I do want to weigh my dose (when I want to verify that my grinder is dialed in, when using a new blend of coffee, etc) the act of grinding into a vessel to weigh (on the digital .1g resolution scale I paid $7 for shipped) does not add an appreciable amount of time to the process.

I think for something like this to be really revolutionary, a grinder would need to grind into a weighing chamber, then dole out the completed dose into a portafilter. It seems like a step in the right direction though..

Posted April 19, 2011 link

+1.  Although the grinder does look like a good sell for OCD's.

Len

"Coffee leads men to trifle away their time, scald their chops, and spend their money, all for a little base, black, thick, nasty, bitter, stinking nauseous puddle water." ~The Women's Petition Against Coffee, 1674

www.CoffeeRoastersClub.com     www.javaPRO-CRC.com     www.KaffeeFrisch.com
kschendel

Grinder: Maestro
Roaster: Freshroast
Posted Tue Apr 19, 2011, 7:52am

mute Said:

I would think so, but after you calibrate the timer.  That's the step that is eliminated by direct weighing.  You no longer need to go through a few grinds, starting with a timer guess, in order to zero in on the desired result weight.  You get it directly.

Obviously, if all of the household users of the grinder are either going after the same target weight, or are willing to do the time calibration whenever needed, you don't need the weight based mechanism.  If I were in the market for a new grinder, I'd likely go for the weight scale, partly just because I like the idea of measuring the relevant variable directly instead of inferring it indirectly.
jammin
jammin

Grinder: Vario-W
Vac Pot: Hario
Drip: manual
Roaster: quest m3
Posted Tue Apr 19, 2011, 8:37am

kschendel Said:

after you calibrate the timer.  That's the step that is eliminated by direct weighing.  You no longer need to go through a few grinds, starting with a timer guess, in order to zero in on the desired result weight.  You get it directly.

not to mention, the grinding speed changes with grind setting; so your grind better be on before you started changing the timer.  then when you change beans.. blah blah blah.

dosing by weight is far superior to dosing by time as far as accuracy is concerned.

if you're worried about pouring into the PF, get a dosing funnel from Orphan Espresso - they are good tool to have anyway.  If you're cheap - use a yogurt cup.

Personally - I think weighing before hand and dosing into PF with the Vario is the most practical solution.

~j

roast your own
MarkPrince
MarkPrince

Espresso: KvdW Speedster
Grinder: Compak K10 WBC
Vac Pot: A bit too many
Drip: Clive Coffee Drip Stand
Roaster: Hario Glass Retro Roaster
Posted Tue Apr 19, 2011, 1:02pm
Subject: Re: Weight Based Grinding Becomes Reality: Baratza's New Thing

AldoCoffee Said:

Mark,
You lost us on the point about waste in a cafe setting. Every shop I've been to that does single cup brewing well premeasures doses and runs them through a Guatemala or Ditting or similar grinder. There's no waste above whatever it takes to dial in a particular coffee to determine the correct dose. And you can run any coffee at any time during service as long as you have it pre-dosed (which is simple to do). So we're not getting the point on savings. Are we missing something here?

It's just how that cafe works their Precisos - they have two, hoppers full, and grind for different volumes. They grind a guestimated amount and weight the grinds in the pourover. if they go over, they scoop out and dump the coffee edit - they scoop from the bin till they hit their target weight, then dump out the rest. I think they do it this way because they use the precisos for pourover and press pot, and keeping a stash of premeasured whole beans around for the variety of brewing sizes (x2 because there's two coffees offered) would be a pita.

The main thing here is that cafes will no longer have to have premeasured whole bean (takes up space, plus time to measure and sort) and have to use the hopper when almost empty (takes longer to grind) - they can dial in three volumes plus change them at any time, press a button and voila, the grinder has dosed out an exact amount for use in their brewing method.

Mark

CoffeeGeek Senior Editor
www.twitter.com/coffeegeek www.flickr.com/coffeegeek, www.instagram.com/coffeegeek (you get the picture)
showing page 1 of 5 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Articles > Columnist... > Weight Based...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.339818000793)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+