Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Articles: CoffeeGeek Columnist Feedback
Can These Filters Change the World of Espresso? by Mark Prince
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Articles > Columnist... > Can These...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 15 last page next page
Author Messages
MarkPrince

Expertise: Professional

Espresso: KvdW Speedster
Grinder: Versalab M3 Grinder
Vac Pot: A bit too many
Drip: Bonavita
Roaster: Hario Glass Retro Roaster
Posted Fri Apr 29, 2011, 12:00am
Subject: Can These Filters Change the World of Espresso? by Mark Prince

Can These Filters Change the World of Espresso?
by Mark Prince

A strong development in one of the key elements in what helps to brew espresso -- the filter -- finally gets some major overhauling. Find out more in this exclusive look at VST's new espresso filters.
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
espressobecky
espressobecky
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Izzo Alex Duetto
Grinder: Mazzer Major, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Hario TCA-3
Drip: French Press, Chemex
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Fri Apr 29, 2011, 9:47am
Subject: Re: Can These Filters Change the World of Espresso? by Mark Prince

Great article, thanks for posting!  This seems like a great new development in the filter department, but seems like it will definitely take some changes to necessary tools and technique.

If I was to start using these filters, I suppose I'd need to switch to a flat tamper instead of convex?  Also, is there a Canadian source for those "Scottie tools"?

Becky

...and on that note, I need a coffee.
 View Profile Link to this post
Fred_Astaire

Espresso: Isomac Tea
Grinder: Solis Maestro; NS MCF
Vac Pot: none
Drip: Braun (love my drip)
Roaster: Hottop
Posted Fri Apr 29, 2011, 10:38am

Very informative.  So, I've been doing it wrong all these years.  Apparently I need a couple of millimeters of space between the grounds and the screen.  Who knew.  Thanks Mark.
Bob_McBob
Bob_McBob
Expertise: I live coffee

Posted Fri Apr 29, 2011, 12:13pm

These will fit in a regular E61 58mm portafilter, right?  I guess you have the issue of differing screen clearance, though.

Chris
SteveRhinehart
SteveRhinehart
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: 1970s La Pavoni Europiccola
Grinder: Baratza Vario, Hario Skerton
Vac Pot: Yama Tabletop 3-cup
Drip: Chemex, CCD, Kalita Wave,...
Roaster: Flavorwave/Stir Crazy
Posted Fri Apr 29, 2011, 1:47pm

I'll go ahead and guess there won't be much in the way of expansion here. That is to say, 58mm baskets will suit a lot of users, especially in cafes, so there won't be much call for other diameters. But man would I love a 49mm version of these babies. The last basket I bought for my Pavoni had the hole grid punched about a full quarter inch off-center.
MarkPod
MarkPod

Espresso: BrewtusII
Grinder: Macap M4 Stepless
Roaster: i-roast
Posted Fri Apr 29, 2011, 1:56pm

Very interesting article (and great photography as well)!  I predict that these basket are going to sell like hotcakes.  I know that I will be buying the 7gm and 15gm baskets as soon as they are available.

Do you know if there will be a correlation between the basket/dose and grind?  For example, will the grind that produces a 65% brew ratio on one basket (say the 21) produce the same thing (or close) on another basket (say the 15), or must the grinder be adjusted?

Mark
MarkPrince

Posted Fri Apr 29, 2011, 2:52pm

I'm hoping once Vince gets back from the SCAA he may pop in himself and answer some questions; some I cannot answer.

Right now, these baskets are exclusive to La Marzocco, with VST also being able to sell them. That means for the meantime, there will only be 58mm variants, the four sizes mentioned, and no designs for lower-sitting dispersion screens like E61 machines.

This of course, could change in the future, depending on what La Marzocco wants to do.

MarkPod, I don't feel confident answering your questions - I'm hoping Vince Fedele will chime in.

These baskets should work just fine in most 58mm machines. I tested the 58mm in a Silvia and it works, though I still don't know if it improves the shot compared to the Synesso basket. I suspect that preinfusion plays a big role here (which is why Bill Crossland's new machine, the CC1, with PID and preinfusion at the Silvia price is very interesting).

Canadian source for the Scottie Tools is http://www.49thparallelcoffee.com (and possibly others).

Hope this helps!

Mark

CoffeeGeek Senior Editor
www.twitter.com/coffeegeek www.flickr.com/coffeegeek, www.instagram.com/coffeegeek (you get the picture)
samuellaw178
samuellaw178

Espresso: Arrarex Caravel
Grinder: Rosco Mini
Drip: French Press, Aeropress,...
Roaster: DIY Copper drum roaster
Posted Fri Apr 29, 2011, 4:14pm

Erm, I don't mean to start a argument or anything. But I have a triple basket that can hold about 18g-20g that comes with my npf. To my untrained eye, the basket I have looks almost exactly the same as the one in the photos, in term of the hole sizes, straight wall, maximum holes spread etc. I wasn't really convinced that the basket is any more special though.

http://img706.imageshack.us/img706/5458/img1918mo.jpg
http://img171.imageshack.us/img171/4310/img1921o.jpg
http://img30.imageshack.us/img30/7198/img1922aa.jpg
MarkPrince

Posted Fri Apr 29, 2011, 4:57pm

samuellaw178 Said:

Erm, I don't mean to start a argument or anything. But I have a triple basket that can hold about 18g-20g that comes with my npf. To my untrained eye, the basket I have looks almost exactly the same as the one in the photos, in term of the hole sizes, straight wall, maximum holes spread etc. I wasn't really convinced that the basket is any more special though.

http://img706.imageshack.us/img706/5458/img1918mo.jpg
http://img171.imageshack.us/img171/4310/img1921o.jpg
http://img30.imageshack.us/img30/7198/img1922aa.jpg

Posted April 29, 2011 link

Send your basket into Vince to be image analysed and have the holes counted and catagorized. You'll be surprised by the results.

Mark

CoffeeGeek Senior Editor
www.twitter.com/coffeegeek www.flickr.com/coffeegeek, www.instagram.com/coffeegeek (you get the picture)
RapidCoffee
RapidCoffee

Espresso: La Spaziale S1
Grinder: Mazzer Robur
Vac Pot: Yama
Drip: misc
Posted Fri Apr 29, 2011, 8:54pm

MarkPod Said:

Do you know if there will be a correlation between the basket/dose and grind?  For example, will the grind that produces a 65% brew ratio on one basket (say the 21) produce the same thing (or close) on another basket (say the 15), or must the grinder be adjusted?

Posted April 29, 2011 link

Vince Fedele published an interesting article in the April-May issue of Barista Magazine (available online here, pp.74-84) that discusses the new baskets. He states that there are grind adjustments for the different baskets, "slightly more coarse for the 22g filter and slightly more fine for the 15g filter, with the 18g filter midway in between".
showing page 1 of 15 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Articles > Columnist... > Can These...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Support Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids is a non profit charity working with farming communities around the world. Donate today!
www.coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.29456114769)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+