Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Articles: CoffeeGeek Columnist Feedback
Photo Essay - Canadian Coffee & Tea Expo, Road Reports
Great Espresso at Home
Curated selection of the best machines from La Spaziale, Izzo, Quick Mill, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Articles > Columnist... > Photo Essay -...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
MarkPrince

Expertise: Professional

Espresso: KvdW Speedster
Grinder: Versalab M3 Grinder
Vac Pot: A bit too many
Drip: Bonavita
Roaster: Hario Glass Retro Roaster
Posted Thu Jun 10, 2004, 11:00pm
Subject: Photo Essay - Canadian Coffee & Tea Expo, Road Reports

Photo Essay - Canadian Coffee & Tea Expo
Road Reports article by Mark Prince

Enjoy this live report from Day One at the Canadian Coffee and Tea Expo, in Vancouver, BC, held on June 11 and 12, 2004.
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
BRB
BRB
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: La Pavoni PUB Automatic
Grinder: built in
Drip: Bunn
Posted Sat Jun 12, 2004, 4:40pm
Subject: Re: Photo Essay - Canadian Coffee & Tea Expo, Road Reports

Nice shots!

I was there. The atmosphere was energetic, the lighting good and the machines were enticing. I got to taste Black Cat on a LM!

Disappointment struck when I inquired about the Silvia/Rocky giveaway: apparently they were raffled off earlier in the morning as opposed to the end of the show on Sunday. If that is the way it went down, it was not cool. That's like advertsing free shots if you come on down only to find that you came too late without knowing of a time limitaion! What's up with that?

Also, it would have been nice if there were opportunities to purchase small quantities of beans to try at home (or in business).
 View Profile Link to this post
MarkPrince

Posted Sat Jun 12, 2004, 11:31pm

BRB Said:

Disappointment struck when I inquired about the Silvia/Rocky giveaway: apparently they were raffled off earlier in the morning as opposed to the end of the show on Sunday. If that is the way it went down, it was not cool. That's like advertsing free shots if you come on down only to find that you came too late without knowing of a time limitaion! What's up with that?

Posted June 12, 2004 link

Just FYI - the silvia / rocky combo was specifically for my espresso lab - it was given away at the end of the lab. sorry if I wasn't more clear on that.

A fella by the name of David Fox won the setup! Very cool!

One of my tampers went missing though, I'm bit bummed about that because it was a one of a kind... :(

Mark

CoffeeGeek Senior Editor
www.twitter.com/coffeegeek www.flickr.com/coffeegeek, www.instagram.com/coffeegeek (you get the picture)
rnewell
rnewell

Espresso: Rancilio silvia
Grinder: Rocky, Vario, Anything...
Vac Pot: Bodum
Drip: Newco OCS-8, Hario
Roaster: Hearthware
Posted Sun Jun 13, 2004, 11:51am

Jeanette Chan, our news editor is an entrant in this year's Canadian Barista Championship (CBC) - she's scheduled to compete at 12:30 on Saturday, June 12 - make sure you come to cheer her on.

Mark Prince is a judge in the CBC and seminar presenter at this year's show; he's also walking the floor, checking out new products and wares.

At last summers first annual barista championship, in Victoria, one of the judges had an employee participating in the competition.
The judges employee won the championship. Oddly, the finals were held in the employees and judges place of employment.
Now, help me out with this. Are there not rules about friends and families participating under these circumstances?
I know that these events are all in good fun, but I cannot help but imagine that some people would be put off by these
irregularities.

I guess, in the case above, Mark would abstain from aspects or portions of the judging process during Jeanettes run.
 View Profile Visit website Contact via ICQ Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
Dasein

Espresso: Synesso 3 grp
Grinder: Mazzer Robur E, Kony E,...
Vac Pot: Yama & Hario etc...
Drip: Clover 1s, Press Pots, Hario...
Roaster: Probat L12, Probatino,...
Posted Sun Jun 13, 2004, 3:36pm

I'm sure he can speak for himself - but I believe that Mark was a judge for the finals only on Sat.  I missed Jeanette's performance, but I was told that it was well received and highly scored (i did see her get applause!).  Unfortunately she just missed the top six.  Not sure how they would have handled the situation if Mark was involved in judging her or her competitors but I am confident that Mark would have made sure it not only looked fair, but was fair.

BTW - attended the espresso lab - it was one of the best events of the whole trade show.  And it was very well organised and presented, especially considering that it was a first time event and that some of the machines were late arrivals.  Alas I did not win the Rocky or Silvia, and my attempts to "buy" all the remaining spots in the lab so I could be ensured of a win were rebuffed at the registration desk.  Next year I may work out a system of Multiple wardrobe changes and disguises to ensure success.
rnewell
rnewell

Espresso: Rancilio silvia
Grinder: Rocky, Vario, Anything...
Vac Pot: Bodum
Drip: Newco OCS-8, Hario
Roaster: Hearthware
Posted Sun Jun 13, 2004, 5:03pm

Dasein Said:

I'm sure he can speak for himself - but I believe that Mark was a judge for the finals only on Sat.

Posted June 13, 2004 link

True -- from my conversation with "raymond" from Caffe Fantastico, Victoria (who came in 6th),
there was no impropriety. I understand that Zak (Zoltan) came in 5th, Sammy Piccolo came in first..
Baristi from JJ Bean and a Cafe in North Van placed highly.

I absolutely do not wish to suggest that anything inappropriate is (or was) going on. I
am just curious about appearances and the rules.
 View Profile Visit website Contact via ICQ Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
MarkPrince

Posted Sun Jun 13, 2004, 5:19pm

At this level of competition, and especially with Sherri Johns running things, there is no worry about issues of favourtism.

a) JJ's crew went Friday; John Neate, a USBC certified judge, did not judge that day
b) Artigiano's crew went Saturday - Vince Piccolo, also a USBC certified judge did not judge on Saturday's prelim

Also, since I judged Friday, and also because a) I had my espresso lab on Saturday which conflicted with the Saturday prelim, and b) Jeanette went Saturday at 12:15 in the prelim, I didn't judge Saturday morning.

I was a sensory judge for the finals Saturday afternoon; both Neate and Piccolo were excluded because they each had 2 baristi in the finals. IF Jeanette had made it to the finals as well, plans were in the works for another judge to sub for me.

Also to be fair - I've seen some of the scoring sheets. Vince was very even and fair with the JJ Crew (in fact, he had them in the top three in his round), and I heard that Neate was equally impartial in his judging round. Sammy and Zack finished 1-2 in the morning, I believe.

I give credit to both of those guys. I have no fear that they would remain completely impartial even if they were jduging their own crews.

Mark

CoffeeGeek Senior Editor
www.twitter.com/coffeegeek www.flickr.com/coffeegeek, www.instagram.com/coffeegeek (you get the picture)
snoboy

Espresso: famous Silvia... now PID
Grinder: modded Rocky SD
Roaster: SC/CO
Posted Sun Jun 13, 2004, 5:45pm

There was even mention by the MC during the finals that there was an extra judge present, so that there would be no such problems.
 View Profile Link to this post
Q
Q

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia
Grinder: Rancilio Rocky Doserless
Vac Pot: none
Drip: none
Roaster: none
Posted Sun Jun 13, 2004, 10:12pm

Don't worry Mark - I've got your tamper and will get it back to you in a few days.  I was a little worried about leaving it in the room alone.

The weekend was a lot of fun - what a great community.

Chris.
geek
geek
Expertise: Pro Roaster

Espresso: Kees v.d. Westen Spirit
Grinder: Robur Es
Vac Pot: Hario Siphon
Drip: Fetco
Roaster: 60kg Renegade, 5kg Renegade,...
Posted Mon Jun 14, 2004, 3:50pm

rnewell Said:

True -- from my conversation with "raymond" from Caffe Fantastico, Victoria (who came in 6th),
there was no impropriety. I understand that Zak (Zoltan) came in 5th, Sammy Piccolo came in first..
Baristi from JJ Bean and a Cafe in North Van placed highly.

I absolutely do not wish to suggest that anything inappropriate is (or was) going on. I
am just curious about appearances and the rules.

Posted June 13, 2004 link

I believe that your 6th place is correct, the guy from North Van was 5th, Zlatan Lavic was 4th, Angie Lof from JJ Bean was 3rd, Nikkie Schulz (nee Neate) was 2nd and Sammy Piccolo was first.

Please excuse any misspellings, I didn't really get to read their names... and most were mispronounced when announced.

Barrett Jones
49th Parallel Coffee Roasters
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Articles > Columnist... > Photo Essay -...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.350392103195)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+