Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Articles: CoffeeGeek Columnist Feedback
The Challenges of Professional Barista Training, Professionally Speaking
Coffee Kids
Help folks who help folks in coffee producing nations.
coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Articles > Columnist... > The Challenges...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 3 of 5 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
CoffeeMe
CoffeeMe
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Brewtus II
Grinder: Rocky DL
Roaster: GeneCafe
Posted Fri Jul 30, 2004, 7:25am
Subject: Re: The Challenges of Professional Barista Training, Professionally Speaking

On the subject of "30-lb. tamp at our retail stores", not sure whether any of you folks noticed on 2003 WBC video with Paul Bassett, he seem to be using a light tamp. Espresso came out pretty quick after he hit the button! But the pour looks good though.
 View Profile Link to this post
xristrettox
xristrettox
Expertise: Just starting

Posted Fri Jul 30, 2004, 2:55pm
Subject: Re: The Challenges of Professional Barista Training, Professionally Speaking

CoffeeMe Said:

On the subject of "30-lb. tamp at our retail stores", not sure whether any of you folks noticed on 2003 WBC video with Paul Bassett, he seem to be using a light tamp. Espresso came out pretty quick after he hit the button! But the pour looks good though.

Posted July 30, 2004 link

You will find that if you put more grounds in the basket, there will be less room for the puck to expand and the flow will come very soon.  However, if you leave a good gap between your puck and the screen it will take a few seconds longer to see the stream due to the swelling of the puck which fill the gap.  Once the gap is closed the water has nowhere else to go, but to be pressed through the basket.  I find it interesting to view the differences in flow between both styles.  In the Sabados style the stream is very consistent from start to finish, while in the "traditional" method the stream will start slow (after 7 seconds or so) and drip for a few, but will end up with a stronger flow of spro by the time you cut it off.

Even crazier is to taste the differences in shots by both methods, and then to try them again by pulling standard shots as compared to ristrettos.

A little tip for competitors... if you want to pull a full ounce for the judges, but prefer the taste of a ristretto, try filling the basket a little more (with a coarser grind of course), and you will see and taste a nice compromise.

billy wilson
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
espressoDOM
espressoDOM

Espresso: WEGA Lyra (vibe)
Grinder: Mazzer Mini
Vac Pot: (no more coffee equipment)
Drip: French Press
Roaster: Hot Top Roaster; Fresh Roast...
Posted Fri Jul 30, 2004, 9:54pm

billy... where have you been....

I was in your neck of the woods last weekend... what was up with that heat wave in Portland....

Stumptown has now addicted my friends that I brought with me.... we went to the Ash shop....

DOM...evil genius ...Up to no good in espresso at all times... VIVA la parts de Espresso
ant

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: sunbeam em6910
Grinder: sunbeam em0480
Vac Pot: hario syphon
Roaster: 1kg sample roaster at work
Posted Fri Jul 30, 2004, 9:55pm

wow thanks for that info billy!

I have recently changed to deeper baskets whilst still using the same amount of coffee at my first job which allowed the coffee grounds to bloom (or whatever the term is) and noticed that as well.  Previously I was pretty much almost right up against the stream and the pours were steady right from start to finish and now they behave exactly as you've said.

Next weekend I'll be heading down to see the roaster and chatting about various styles and techniques for training etc- it should be very interesting :)
 View Profile Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
Irishman
Irishman
Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: Elektra Sixties - Single...
Grinder: ECM Mini
Posted Sat Jul 31, 2004, 4:28am

Hi Ellie,

Great Article, very interesting - not to mention inspiring...How inspiring? Well
I am living in Germany and would be willing to jump on an airplane and fly
to the USA if your training would be available to the public.

How about a special "geek-training" for those of us on CoffeeGeeks ;> ?

Could be fun for all - not to metion the start of something BIG,  
"The Intelligentsia (International) Professional Barista Qualification" - recognised
& renowned throughout the world!

Please say "yes"!

All the best,

John
spinnaker007
spinnaker007

Posted Mon Aug 2, 2004, 12:23pm

It looks like that Intelligentsia's new website is up and running...Pretty nice...Good job, Matt!
espressoDOM
espressoDOM

Espresso: WEGA Lyra (vibe)
Vac Pot: (no more coffee equipment)
Drip: French Press
Roaster: Hot Top Roaster; Fresh Roast...
Posted Mon Aug 2, 2004, 12:37pm

thx for the heads up Steve....

DOM...evil genius ...Up to no good in espresso at all times... VIVA la parts de Espresso
ThaRiddla

Expertise: Professional

Espresso: LM GS/3
Posted Mon Aug 2, 2004, 1:47pm

spinnaker007 Said:

It looks like that Intelligentsia's new website is up and running...Pretty nice...Good job, Matt!

Posted August 2, 2004 link

I was wondering when it would be posted here.

Thanks

www.intelligentsiacoffee.com
jim_schulman
jim_schulman
Expertise: I live coffee
Posted Mon Aug 2, 2004, 4:38pm

Hi Ellie. I always knew youwere awesome around an espresso machine; turns out you write terrifically too. Well done!

It's interesting you created your own certification program; is there nothing out there by the SCAA or Barista Guild.

Jim Schulman
www.coffeecuppers.com
spinnaker007
spinnaker007

Posted Mon Aug 2, 2004, 5:56pm

ThaRiddla Said:

I was wondering when it would be posted here.

Thanks

Posted August 2, 2004 link

Alright, Mr. Tough guy! : )  

That tamper sure looks Grrreat!

Cheers,

Steve
showing page 3 of 5 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Articles > Columnist... > The Challenges...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.279049158096)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+