Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Articles: CoffeeGeek Columnist Feedback
Slayer Booth and Slayer One Group - SCAA 2014 Show Report, Road Reports
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Articles > Columnist... > Slayer Booth and...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
MarkPrince

Expertise: Professional

Espresso: KvdW Speedster
Grinder: Versalab M3 Grinder
Vac Pot: A bit too many
Drip: Bonavita
Roaster: Hario Glass Retro Roaster
Posted Wed May 7, 2014, 12:00am
Subject: Slayer Booth and Slayer One Group - SCAA 2014 Show Report, Road Reports

Slayer Booth and Slayer One Group - SCAA 2014 Show Report
Road Reports article by Mark Prince

At the SCAA 2014 Trade Show, The Slayer Espresso Machine company formally debuted their long awaited one group espresso machine. Read our show report!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
canuckcoffeeguy
canuckcoffeeguy
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Bezzera Magica, Mypressi...
Grinder: K10PB, Vario, Hario Slim
Vac Pot: I have a Dyson vacuum, but,...
Drip: Aeropress, Bialetti Brikka,...
Posted Thu May 8, 2014, 5:35am
Subject: Re: Slayer Booth and Slayer One Group - SCAA 2014 Show Report, Road Reports

Any idea what the one group will cost?
 View Profile Link to this post
uscfroadie
uscfroadie
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: GS/3 Strada MP, BDB; owned...
Grinder: Forte, Zass and PeDe hand...
Vac Pot: Nope
Drip: Nope
Roaster: owned Behmor
Posted Thu May 8, 2014, 9:53am
Subject: Re: Slayer Booth and Slayer One Group - SCAA 2014 Show Report, Road Reports

canuckcoffeeguy Said:

Posted May 8, 2014 link

$8500 + options ($350 for programmable pre-infusion, various charges for wood selected for actuators/handles, various charges for finishing options).  If you want it, they can probably build it.   More specs here  If you are interested, email them at sales@slayerespresso.com

Nice to see Aaron Blanco of Brown Coffee manning the One Group on your top photo.
MarkPrince

Posted Thu May 8, 2014, 1:18pm

canuckcoffeeguy Said:

Posted May 8, 2014 link

USCFroadie beat me to the punch but I had the price in the article in the last paragraph but I think I accidentally deleted it or something before transferring the words from my word processor to the CoffeeGeek CMS system. Went back in and added it again. I didn't know programmable preinfusion costs extra; if that's just part of the software package that they "enable" that's a cheap grab; if they have to add physical hardware to the machine to make it happen (I'm not sure that would be the case?) then it seems reasonable.

Mark

CoffeeGeek Senior Editor
www.twitter.com/coffeegeek www.flickr.com/coffeegeek, www.instagram.com/coffeegeek (you get the picture)
yarrenbool
yarrenbool

Espresso: Rocket R58
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Drip: AeroPress
Roaster: Behmor 1600 Plus
Posted Thu May 8, 2014, 4:16pm

MarkPrince Said:

I didn't know programmable preinfusion costs extra; if that's just part of the software package that they "enable" that's a cheap grab; if they have to add physical hardware to the machine to make it happen (I'm not sure that would be the case?) then it seems reasonable.

Mark

Posted May 8, 2014 link

Just how important is preinfusion to making a great coffee?

tek

Espresso: Changes daily
Grinder: Kafa-Tek Monolith
Posted Fri May 9, 2014, 6:21am

Great write up Mark. Reading about One Group Slayer I see that most of the features were already in Synesso Hydra over two years ago. Pretty much pressure profiling setup is identical, the power sleep mode is identical with exception that Synesso will not go back to sleep when woken up, I'd love to have that :-)

Its really nice looking machine.

www.10000shots.com
shadowfax
shadowfax

Espresso: La Marzocco Shot Brewer
Grinder: Compak K10
Posted Fri May 9, 2014, 10:28am

uscfroadie Said:

$350 for programmable pre-infusion

Posted May 8, 2014 link

This is untrue for the 1-group. It has a pre-brew timer feature as standard. It's just a setting that you can turn on and off in the touchscreen UI, and if it's on, it's just a time (in seconds) for the machine to open water flow through the needle valve path only, before going to full brew.

Pre-brew timers are an extra on multi-group machines, not on the single group. On those machines, there is additional hardware involved in adding in timed pre-brew support.
shadowfax
shadowfax

Espresso: La Marzocco Shot Brewer
Grinder: Compak K10
Posted Fri May 9, 2014, 10:48am

Mark, from your article:

If you are not aware, the Slayer's actuator arm (that lever on the grouphead) is multiposition, so moving it only half way activates the machine's pre-brewing, low pressure mode. Moving the actuator arm to the complete left then activates the full pressure the machine is programmed and set up for. On this new 1 group Slayer, the display panel has a live count for the prebrewing mode (actuator arm moved halfway), and then jumps over to show shot brewing time at full pressure.

I think that you should make clear that "pre-brew" isn't precisely "low pressure mode." That is to say, it should be referred to as "restricted flow rate mode". The pump on the Slayer 1 group operates at a constant speed during extraction regardless of whether you're in pre-brew or brew mode, providing relatively consistent pressure upstream of the gicleur and/or needle valve. The difference is the flow rate that is delivered to the group

Technically, in most all cases the practical upshot of this flow restriction is a lower normalized pressure, meaning that the restricted flow at the needle valve means that the pressure attained when water has saturated the space above the puck (and the puck itself), there is sufficient flow such that the pressure doesn't reach full pressure. But if you were to put a blind filter in (preventing any flow through the group), full pressure would be attained during pre-brew. The actual pressure that you attain during pre-brew depends on the flow resistance that the puck gives, all other things being equal. The more flow restriction the puck provides, the higher the pressure you see during "pre-brew" will be.

The important thing, though, is that the needle valve setting used in pre-brew controls the rate of the initial pressure ramp as well as the pressure that it peaks at. The ability to "shape" that pressure ramp is something that you don't really get from a machine with line pressure preinfusion (like a Synesso) or a gicleur chamber (like an E61 or a Nuova Simonelli Aurelia). This is the mechanism by which the Slayer lets you grind many notches finer than most other espresso machines. I think the distinction is worth clarifying.
tek

Espresso: Changes daily
Grinder: Kafa-Tek Monolith
Posted Fri May 9, 2014, 12:05pm

shadowfax Said:

This is the mechanism by which the Slayer lets you grind many notches finer than most other espresso machines. I think the distinction is worth clarifying.

Posted May 9, 2014 link

Synesso Hydra allows exactly the same. Shaping the pressure ramp-up and duration allows me to grind much, much finer than when I use fast ramp up to 9 bars. Here is video from Synesso explaining 4 stage pressure ramp: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n30X11t1H4A

I can see how needle valve adds definite more control, but one can adjust the line pressure on Synesso to get similar ramp up and in my experience once you find something that works for you on line pressure front for pre-infusion, you don't change. Whether you grind finer or coarser then is controlled by ramp up i.e. time you spent on line pressure (Stage 1) and on Stage 2 pressure (bypass). This lets me control how fine I grind. More time I spend in these 2 stages the finer I can grind, less time I spend the coarser I can grind...

Its not 100% same as Slayer, but its close...

www.10000shots.com
MarkPrince

Posted Fri May 9, 2014, 1:50pm

shadowfax Said:

This is untrue for the 1-group. It has a pre-brew timer feature as standard. It's just a setting that you can turn on and off in the touchscreen UI, and if it's on, it's just a time (in seconds) for the machine to open water flow through the needle valve path only, before going to full brew.

Pre-brew timers are an extra on multi-group machines, not on the single group. On those machines, there is additional hardware involved in adding in timed pre-brew support.

Posted May 9, 2014 link

I'm glad you cleared this up. When Jason demo'ed the machine to me, he showed me how this was something that was controlled via the control panel touchscreen, and I was thinking "if they charge $350 for this just to enable it in software..." I'm glad to hear its not the case at all.

Mark

CoffeeGeek Senior Editor
www.twitter.com/coffeegeek www.flickr.com/coffeegeek, www.instagram.com/coffeegeek (you get the picture)
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Articles > Columnist... > Slayer Booth and...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.308087110519)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+