Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Articles: Products First Look Feedback
KitchenAid ProLine Grinder First Look
Coffee Kids
Help folks who help folks in coffee producing nations.
coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Articles > First Looks... > KitchenAid...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 14 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
BuzzedLightyear
BuzzedLightyear
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia
Grinder: Rancilio Rocky DL
Roaster: Popcorn Popper
Posted Thu Sep 8, 2005, 4:31pm
Subject: Re: KitchenAid ProLine Grinder First Look

Mark

Most of the time when people post on the Espresso Machine and Grinder Forum about buying or upgrading a Espresso Machine, The Calvary of Espresso Veterans come in yelling "Get a Good Grinder!", " Get a good Grinder!"

Would you consider this a good grinder to stop the sabre rattling

Sorry to pick your Brain, But I have been waiting awhile for this review. I wanted to pick this grinder up this week but your review kind of left me sitting on the fence

Don
 View Profile Link to this post
MarkPrince

Expertise: Professional

Espresso: KvdW Speedster
Grinder: Versalab M3 Grinder
Vac Pot: A bit too many
Drip: Bonavita
Roaster: Hario Glass Retro Roaster
Posted Thu Sep 8, 2005, 8:29pm

Yeah, this is a grinder I'm very confident in recommending.

For the Detailed Review, I may have some info on how to "hot rod" it a bit, as well. ;)

Mark

CoffeeGeek Senior Editor
www.twitter.com/coffeegeek www.flickr.com/coffeegeek, www.instagram.com/coffeegeek (you get the picture)
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
darkboron

Expertise: Pro Roaster

Grinder: KitchenAid Pro Burr Grinder
Drip: Chemex, french press,...
Posted Fri Sep 9, 2005, 1:42am

BuzzedLightyear Said:

Mark

Most of the time when people post on the Espresso Machine and Grinder Forum about buying or upgrading a Espresso Machine, The Calvary of Espresso Veterans come in yelling "Get a Good Grinder!", " Get a good Grinder!"

Would you consider this a good grinder to stop the sabre rattling

Sorry to pick your Brain, But I have been waiting awhile for this review. I wanted to pick this grinder up this week but your review kind of left me sitting on the fence

Posted September 8, 2005 link

Last week eh? I've been waiting for over a year for a bloody review on this thing! I saw it at Williams-Sonoma over a year ago, and I wanted to pick it up right off the shelf, but the better part of me knew to do some research first... I couldn't find any detailed reviews, so I ended up getting a Zassenhaus. (sigh.)

--Darren
stinkyjones
stinkyjones

Espresso: Wega Atlas EVD 1GR (Black)
Grinder: Mazzer Super Jolly (Orange)
Roaster: New!: GG/SC
Posted Fri Sep 9, 2005, 4:10am

darkboron Said:

Last week eh? I've been waiting for over a year for a bloody review on this thing! I saw it at Williams-Sonoma over a year ago, and I wanted to pick it up right off the shelf, but the better part of me knew to do some research first... I couldn't find any detailed reviews, so I ended up getting a Zassenhaus. (sigh.)

Posted September 9, 2005 link

Why were you waiting on someone else to do the legwork for you?  Why didn't you just try it out yourself?  W/S has a very liberal return policy provided you keep the receipt.

Take it home, try it out, if you don't like it, throw it back in the box and get a refund.  

How hard is that?

--Scott

The pillars of inspiration are all falling down.
BuzzedLightyear
BuzzedLightyear

Posted Fri Sep 9, 2005, 8:06am

Hey Scott

Relax Buddy, isnt half the purpose of coffeegeek.com is to help us eliminate the legwork

Don
stinkyjones
stinkyjones

Espresso: Wega Atlas EVD 1GR (Black)
Grinder: Mazzer Super Jolly (Orange)
Roaster: New!: GG/SC
Posted Fri Sep 9, 2005, 8:32am

BuzzedLightyear Said:

Relax Buddy, isnt half the purpose of coffeegeek.com is to help us eliminate the legwork

My point is that it sounds like Darren ended up with a grinder that he's not happy with (based on the "sigh.") because there wasn't a detailed review.  He could have--risk free--provided himself with live detailed review of the equipment.

There's no shame in returning a piece of equipment that you are not happy with, provided the return policy makes allowances for that.

--Scott

The pillars of inspiration are all falling down.
maynard_g
maynard_g
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: VBM Domobar
Grinder: La San Marco SM90
Drip: TechniVorm; Clever Coffee...
Roaster: Sunbeam gas grill
Posted Fri Sep 9, 2005, 2:46pm

It is good to see KitchenAid enter a grinder into the specialty coffee market.  I've always adored their devotion to solid-built, quality appliances.  My wife's mother made a tradition to give each of her daughters a KitchenAid blender as a wedding gift.  Those are really nice.  

I think I first saw the KitchenAid grinder late last year in a specialty retail store, and was really excited about it, but I think that initial model scored low on the espresso grind. Hopefully this is a updated model.  The look and feel of this grinder is worthy of regard, alone.  I grind mostly for espresso, though, so I wonder if this grinder would have you playing with the settings constantly.  It looks like 'EspressoSnob' has had good luck with his.  Might want to contact him directly before making a purchase.  It's just not something you want to have to mess with when you're up in the morning making a drink before leaving for work.  You want it seamless.

I'd say if you brew mostly for press or drip, and you want quality, then get this grinder.  It'll last a couple of generations, I imagine, judging by KitchenAid standards.  You'll be able to pass it down to your children as a family heirloom!
 View Profile Visit website Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
BuzzedLightyear
BuzzedLightyear

Posted Fri Sep 9, 2005, 4:21pm

Well based on Marks review, I ran down to williams Sonoma tonight and picked one up

I have to say I was very dissapointed, it just would not grind fine enough for espresso, I even adjusted the internal gear to the most fine setting just before the gears rub and still no luck. Either Mark is on the take from Kitchen Aid (just kidding), or I got a dud, I will decide tonight wether to exchange it and try it again or get a full refund.

I do have to say this is an awesome grinder for drip or french press though, there was hardly any dust what so ever.

Don
MarkPrince

Expertise: Professional

Espresso: KvdW Speedster
Grinder: Versalab M3 Grinder
Vac Pot: A bit too many
Drip: Bonavita
Roaster: Hario Glass Retro Roaster
Posted Fri Sep 9, 2005, 4:29pm

BuzzedLightyear Said:

Well based on Marks review, I ran down to williams Sonoma tonight and picked one up

I have to say I was very dissapointed, it just would not grind fine enough for espresso, I even adjusted the internal gear to the most fine setting just before the gears rub and still no luck. Either Mark is on the take from Kitchen Aid (just kidding), or I got a dud, I will decide tonight wether to exchange it and try it again or get a full refund.

I can't figure out an explanation for this. I demo'ed it to a few podcast guests and showed that even at a setting of 1.5 it could choke the La Marzocco (after I adjusted it with the black knob off).

I would experiment with it a bit more before returning it. I think WS has a good return policy, allowing you to have a week or more to fool around with it. perhaps run it with beans in it, then while it's running, adjust the white notch dial finer - there is a sorta "spring tension" on the adjustment dial that is influenced by no load / beans loaded. Adjusting it with no beans may not give you the same finer adjustment with beans, if that makes any sense.

Mark

CoffeeGeek Senior Editor
www.twitter.com/coffeegeek www.flickr.com/coffeegeek, www.instagram.com/coffeegeek (you get the picture)
BuzzedLightyear
BuzzedLightyear

Posted Fri Sep 9, 2005, 5:37pm

Thanks Mark,

but I cant adjust any further without the gears sounding like they are touching or grating each other, are you saying to ignore this sound and adjust till it is fine enough.

Even still, it seems according to your review you where able to choke the La Marzoco on setting number 8 right out of the box, or am I reading this wrong

Don
showing page 2 of 14 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Articles > First Looks... > KitchenAid...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.295845985413)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+