Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Articles: Products First Look Feedback
Isomac Millenium First Look
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Articles > First Looks... > Isomac Millenium...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 5 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
sinkr
sinkr
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Isomac Millennium-Plumbed
Grinder: La Cimbali Junior
Vac Pot: Cona Model D
Drip: Are you kidding?
Roaster: Hearthware Precision +...
Posted Tue Nov 4, 2003, 1:02pm
Subject: Re: Isomac Millenium First Look

CoffeeKid Said:

Hey folks. Thanks for the initial comments. Here's some followups:

I don't want to get it plumbed in :) Though I will cover that aspect in the detailed review.

Posted August 31, 2003 link

I just bought the Millennium, pretty-much on your initial review here, from Chris Coffee with a La Cimbali Junior Grinder (upgrading from a Sylvia & Rocky).

I also went ahead (and went overboard) and got the direct connect system, as well as the water softner and carbon filtration system.  I figured that I'd go for near-ultimate convenience, and I have to say that this convenience has paid off--especially during the break-in/acquaintance period--where a lot of water gets consumed.

I also like the idea that I can leave this machine on 24/7, though I'm weirded out a little by that aspect in terms of power consumption (though I understand its modest), as well as the fact that I'll probably be consuming more espresso.

All-in-all, given my considerable experience with Rocky and Sylvia and a Gaggia Paros, I found that dialing in the two as a combo was not nearly as involved as before, presumably from experience, and from the forgiving nature of the E61 group.

I can't really comment on the operation of the machine as a whole (yet), but I can say that the preinfusion does help, and it is very stunning on the counter, as well as a space hog.
 View Profile Visit website Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Contact via ICQ Link to this post
CraigA
CraigA
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: PID/PressureMod 2001...
Grinder: BUNN FPG-2 DBC, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Bodum Santos manual, Yama 5...
Drip: Behmor BraZen, BUNN VPR-APS,...
Roaster: Refurb Behmor 1600, BBQ...
Posted Tue Nov 4, 2003, 1:13pm

Congratulation's on an awesome choice & upgrade Robert! {:-D

http://twitter.com/CoffeegeekCraig
http://www.facebook.com/craig.andrews.169

Excellent coffee doesn't just happen!
 View Profile Visit website Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Contact via ICQ Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
HB

Posted Tue Nov 4, 2003, 2:01pm

sinkr Said:

I also like the idea that I can leave this machine on 24/7, though I'm weirded out a little by that aspect in terms of power consumption (though I understand its modest), as well as the fact that I'll probably be consuming more espresso.

Posted November 4, 2003 link

Great choice!  BTW, I estimated the per-hour cost for running my idle machine (1300W).  It comes out to about one cent an hour at $0.08 / kWH.  The start up cost is a bit higher, requiring almost four hours after full warmup to amortize.  I invested in a heavy duty programmable digital timer.  I added some insulation under the cup tray (the foam aluminum sided stuff) and it made an immediate measurable difference, reducing the on-cycle time by about 20%.

-- Dan

www.home-barista.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
nstom

Expertise: Intermediate

Posted Tue Nov 4, 2003, 5:55pm

I thought that a programmable timer would be just the ticket - most, though, are too light duty for this machine. Can you give some details regarding your timer - make, model, source.

Thanks!

nstom
 View Profile Link to this post
HB

Posted Wed Nov 5, 2003, 5:12am

It is the Intermatic Digital Timer, model DT17 (operating instructions).  It is rated for 15 amps and sold at Home Depot.  It was on sale for about $25 as I recall.

-- Dan

HB: dt17timer.jpg

www.home-barista.com
spinnaker007
spinnaker007
Expertise: I like coffee

Posted Wed Nov 5, 2003, 8:01am

Hi Dan,

Thanks for your post!  I have been looking for a digital timer for the longest time, and I didnít find anything I like until now...I will go to Home Depot this weekend...

Excellent!

Steve
spinnaker007
spinnaker007
Expertise: I like coffee

Posted Tue Nov 11, 2003, 8:38am

Got mine from Home Depot yesterday.  I paid $19.95 plus tax.  Dan, I am not sure about you, but I had trouble reading the instructions.  I think it is worse than the user's manual for Isomac Tea.  I gave up on instructions and programed it by playing around with it , and it worked.

spinnaker007: DSCN0083.JPG
(Click for larger image)
jamesw

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Silvia w/ PID of course.
Grinder: La Cimbali Jr.
Vac Pot: --
Drip: Braun
Roaster: none
Posted Sat Nov 15, 2003, 8:16am

"..... detriment in the home - the grouphead gets too hot if you don't brew for a while. This gives you bitter shots. The solution is either bang out lots of shots continuously (thus using the grouphead for the environment it was designed for), or run as much as four to six ounces or more of water through the group to get it back down to shot temperatures."

I thought that this is a home machine!!  How many shots are you gonna pull at once -- at home?
That is clearly unacceptable! A design flaw that should take it off the Xmas list for sure!

Hmpphh!

dave
RoxieL
RoxieL

Espresso: Expobar (Control)/Saeco...
Grinder: Cimbali Jr/Rocky/SB Barista
Vac Pot: eSantos/ eSantos Jr.
Drip: Bunn
Roaster: Hottop/FR+
Posted Sat Nov 15, 2003, 8:28am

dave713 Said:

"..... detriment in the home - the grouphead gets too hot if you don't brew for a while. This gives you bitter shots. The solution is either bang out lots of shots continuously (thus using the grouphead for the environment it was designed for), or run as much as four to six ounces or more of water through the group to get it back down to shot temperatures."

I thought that this is a home machine!!  How many shots are you gonna pull at once -- at home?
That is clearly unacceptable! A design flaw that should take it off the Xmas list for sure!

Hmpphh!

dave

Posted November 15, 2003 link

All the E61 grouphead machines are like this.  It's no big deal.  Really.
RoxieL
RoxieL

Espresso: Expobar (Control)/Saeco...
Grinder: Cimbali Jr/Rocky/SB Barista
Vac Pot: eSantos/ eSantos Jr.
Drip: Bunn
Roaster: Hottop/FR+
Posted Sat Nov 15, 2003, 9:09am

dan_kehn Said:

It is the Intermatic Digital Timer, model DT17 (operating instructions).  It is rated for 15 amps and sold at Home Depot.  It was on sale for about $25 as I recall.

-- Dan

Posted November 5, 2003 link

Does this timer allow you to turn something on for only 15 minutes?  All of the timers I've found require the item to be on/off in 30 minute increments and I want one that will allow me to have something on for 15 minutes each hour.
showing page 2 of 5 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Articles > First Looks... > Isomac Millenium...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Support Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids is a non profit charity working with farming communities around the world. Donate today!
www.coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.276035070419)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+