Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Articles: Products First Look Feedback
Baratza Vario Grinder
Great Espresso at Home
Curated selection of the best machines from La Spaziale, Izzo, Quick Mill, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Articles > First Looks... > Baratza Vario...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 13 of 13 first page previous page
Author Messages
primacoffee
primacoffee
Expertise: I live coffee

Posted Wed May 19, 2010, 5:59am
Subject: Re: Baratza Vario Grinder

thanks for the article, good information on this great machine.

Prima Coffee Equipment
http://prima-coffee.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Aenan

Espresso: Giaggia Coffee, stove top
Grinder: hand grinder
Drip: Mr. Coffee, Vietnamese...
Posted Sat Sep 18, 2010, 8:12pm

Thanks everyone for your posts, I really enjoy reading them.

I know this post is probably closed (recan post if it finds relevance in the 103 page thread) but I will agree with one part of Beanlover's statement.  I am currently considering a grinder and the Vario's plastic housing was initially a substantial issue for me.  I wouldn't necessarily consider this a silliness of the modern world, but my last "grinder's" hopper (Cuisineart DBM8) which holds the top burr is made of plastic: this recently broke off and I could not simply "glue it back" together for various complications. (Amongst others I really wanted to finally buy a true grinder.) Also keep in mind that heat does operate different with plastics versus metal. From what I've read thus far, this does not seem like a concern on the Vario. (Correct me if I'm wrong.)

I'll also say as a current grinder shopper, part of the allure of the other grinders, imho, is the housing and "aethetic", seeming outer robustness, and producing a statement of "I'm professional or serious about my coffee."  I do know people (I'm not one of them) that literally won't consider certain products in their kitchen because they "don't match" others.  (One friend of mine didn't like that the stainless steel brushing (or "grain") on a potential dishwasher went East/West while his current stove was a "subtle North/South". You really can't make this stuff up folks : ) ).

That said, I'm thankful that I don't make my appliances/apparati purchases based on just that criteria. I'm thinking that given the attention to detail already spent on the major and several minor aspects of this grinder, the design team and Baratza would hopefully not conk out at the last minute choosing a non-durable or resilient plastic. I think ultimately time will tell how "durable' the plastic is.

kschendel Said:

I don't pretend that the Vario is made from carbon fiber reinforced engineering grade layup, not at its price point;  but it is not necessarily any weaker or more damage-prone than a similar steel or aluminum grinder.  It all depends on what plastics were used, and whether the parts were properly designed for the material.

Posted March 30, 2010 link

Do you know if anyone has tried to carbon fiber their Vario yet or mod the housing with different material? It's probably still too early in Vario's lifecycle, but I'd be interested in their feedback.
 View Profile Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Contact via ICQ Link to this post
javafool

Grinder: Baratza Vario, Rocky
Vac Pot: Hario
Drip: Technivorm, Hario pourover
Roaster: Hottop (x2)
Posted Sat Dec 11, 2010, 4:45pm

I have owned the Vario since right after they were released for retail sale and have had severe problems with static and coffee dust in the winter. I live in Florida, so summers are relatively humid to say the least. During the summer months the vario is, IMO, a terrific grinder. No specific issues with static mess whatsoever. But again this winter the Vario finally came off the counter and out came the Virtuoso for winter. Brown dust clinging to the catch bin and making a daily mess on the kitchen counter. It is more than I care to deal with first thing in the morning when I have other options. But, I also have an opinion (doesn't everyone?) on that.
Every grinder I have used in the past has run flakes of chaaf through the grinder and into whatever is catching the ground coffee. Not all coffees produce a significant anount of chaff, but dry processed coffee and origins like some Brazillians, or maybe Ethopian coffee,s seem to retian more chaff than others. And when I grind these coffees in other grinders I see flakes of light colored chaff. Not with the Vario. I never see loose chaff in coffe ground by the Vario. Maybe the ceramic burrs are also grinding or shreading the chaff and this is what is causing the daily winter morning messes. I haven't seen this mentioned on the web but it is something I have noticed for quite a while. I never noticed that lack of visible chaff when I started using the Vario, but it became very obvious when I switched back to a non Vario grinder.
Has anyone else noticed this with their Vario, and do you have any comments on the chaff?

Terry
MarkPrince

Expertise: Professional

Espresso: KvdW Speedster
Grinder: Versalab M3 Grinder
Vac Pot: A bit too many
Drip: Bonavita
Roaster: Hario Glass Retro Roaster
Posted Sat Dec 11, 2010, 5:27pm

Not to comment on the static issue so much, but instead I wanted to ask you - have you called Baratza, asked to speak to Kyle Anderson and discuss this?

Kyle has done a ton of study on static and the issues surrounding it. He's consulted with experts on the subject and as a result, the materials and coatings they use on their catcher bins have changed over time. He may have some solutions for you.

Mark

CoffeeGeek Senior Editor
www.twitter.com/coffeegeek www.flickr.com/coffeegeek, www.instagram.com/coffeegeek (you get the picture)
Bitches_Brew
Bitches_Brew
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: yes
Grinder: yes
Vac Pot: no
Drip: no
Roaster: yes
Posted Sat Dec 11, 2010, 5:38pm

i had the same problem... http://coffeegeek.com/forums/espresso/grinders/477080#477080 and found it was the type of beans i was using at the time

"You can write down how to make the perfect cup of coffee. But to make it really good, you have to play something fictional, you have to dress up, you have to think, This is the most important thing."
 View Profile Link to this post
javafool

Posted Sat Dec 11, 2010, 7:47pm

MarkPrince Said:

Not to comment on the static issue so much, but instead I wanted to ask you - have you called Baratza, asked to speak to Kyle Anderson and discuss this?

Kyle has done a ton of study on static and the issues surrounding it. He's consulted with experts on the subject and as a result, the materials and coatings they use on their catcher bins have changed over time. He may have some solutions for you.

Mark

Posted December 11, 2010 link

I spoke with Kyle a couple of times not long after I purchased my first Vario. He was going to get back with me after he did some investigation and mentioned a burr set modification. Kyle probably has had so much going on that this issue fell through the cracks.

Bitches_Brew Said:

i had the same problem... http://coffeegeek.com/forums/espresso/grinders/477080#477080 and found it was the type of beans i was using at the time

Posted December 11, 2010 link

I roast quite a variety of beans and usually have two or three origins roasted to choose from. I will (and do) change grinders before I would limit my coffee choices due to a static or chaff issue.

Terry
IMAWriter
IMAWriter

Espresso: Bezzera Strega
Grinder: Forte, OE Pharos,...
Vac Pot: Adcraft SS, Yama 8 cup
Drip: Brazen, Kalita, Chemex,...
Roaster: Behmor 1600+, CO/UFO combo
Posted Sat Dec 11, 2010, 7:57pm

I have had no such issue here. In fact, the chaff sort of settles on top. (what there is of it, as i'm pretty good at removing chaff from my roasts)
We get down to about 10 degrees f, with low humidity, FWIW. I roast everything from Yemen/Sidamo to Guatemalan/Brasil.
Basically, as you mentioned the Ethiopians and Brasils throw off a lot of chaff, but the Behmor does a fine job keeping most of it away from the drum, so i don't get in the finished roast.

I have a 2nd generation Vario bin, and the new designed PF fork assembly.
Keep trying with Kyle or Kyra. They do a great job with CS.

Keep us posted.

Rob J (LMWDP #187)
My Music Production web site:
www.robertjason.com
javadrknmtbr

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: QM Anita
Grinder: Mazzer SJ
Vac Pot: Yama
Drip: Baratza Vario - Ditting...
Roaster: Hottop B
Posted Sun Dec 12, 2010, 7:04am

My wife regularly uses our Vario for drip coffee and had been having static issues with an Ethiopian coffee. Her usual routine was to grind the coffee and then immediately transfer it to the filter. One morning, she ground the coffee and accidentally left the bin in the Vario for several minutes and found that there wasn't any static when she dumped it in the filter. It has now been several weeks and she hasn't complained of any static issues.

Not really sure why this works, but maybe this is a trick that will help you.
 View Profile Link to this post
javafool

Posted Sun Dec 12, 2010, 7:20am

I am using a second generation Vario, I purchased it in hopes that the static issue was solved. I roast mostly at City+, and am careful to remove as much chaff as I can. I think it is more the chaff that remains in the crack of some roasted beans moreso than chaff on the outside surface of the beans. I have an email into Baratza on another issue, so I will bring this up again when I hear back. CS has always been fantastic from Baratza, from Sweetmaria's and from Hottop, just to mention a few.

Maybe I can alter my morning routine so I can leave the coffee in the bin for a few minutes like javadrknmtbr's wife. That is certainly worth a try. I will have to be careful because every time I alter my morning routine, I seem to forget something. My lunch, my badge, my glasses and even my mind I think, sometimes.

Thanks to all for the responses. I have been a huge fan of Baratza products for years, and hope to be able to use the Vario year around. If not, I really do have a good alternative.
mary12b

Expertise: Professional

Posted Sun Feb 6, 2011, 8:47pm

Very interesting review. Hope it really worked good! Im looking a for a fast grinder too.
showing page 13 of 13 first page previous page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Articles > First Looks... > Baratza Vario...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.272062063217)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+