Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Articles: Products First Look Feedback
Speedster Espresso Machine
Rancilio Silvia - How to
Step by step guide for easy brewing and steaming with the Rancilio Silvia
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Articles > First Looks... > Speedster...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 7 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
harrymanback
harrymanback
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: expobar brewtus ii
Grinder: la cimbali md6, baratza...
Drip: nah...bodum press(es)
Roaster: modded wear•ever popcorn...
Posted Sun Sep 6, 2009, 10:40pm
Subject: re: speedster espresso machine

amazing first look, mark.  hopefully, the great leaps forward in both the speedster and the gs/3 (as well as like improvements in recent grinders) will continue to move forward our specialty coffee community.  

MarkPrince Said:

i'd like to see a shot timer incorporated into the machine - perhaps, keeping with the retro feel, an analog stopwatch / speedometer kind of dial that engages as soon as the pump does, perhaps even two such devices - one on the left for overall shot time, and one on the right showing just the pump activation time. It would keep with the automobile / racing plane theme of the front and sides of the machine.

Posted September 3, 2009 link

in extending the analog stopwatch idea. . . traditional stopwatches can measure splits with one watch face and one hand (with proper use of the buttons).  similarly, why not a single analog face with two hands automatically starting in sync during preinfusion: the first stopping and the second continuing forward once the pump is engaged, and the second stopping once the shot is stopped?  then the barista has on one dial preinfusion time, total shot time, and pump time (with some minor subtraction).  the only button the barista would have to push is the "reset" button.

harry.

"i should pull up the hardwood to see if there's carpet underneath! . . . no, that's never the case."
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
davidhunternyc
davidhunternyc
Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Sun Sep 6, 2009, 11:09pm
Subject: Speedster Espresso Machine

I am an artist and I love great industrial design. Unfortunately, from our coffee machines to the most expensive BMW's, superlative design and build quality has become an anachronism. For example, why is it that every time we push a simple metal knob, it is usually spray painted plastic? Why is it that fit and finish is an afterthought? Alas, enter this stunning machine. Wow! I am speechless. There is too much that is right about this machine and the review was so thorough, there really is nothing I can say that will make a difference. I do have to reiterate one critique about this machine that was so astutely observed in this review. It is a small point of contention but because everything else is so thoughtfully wrestled over, this blemish stands out like a cancer. I agree with the reviewer that the digital read-out does not fit this machine. Keeping with the retro feel, all dials need to be analog, end of argument. I also took the opportunity to check out the new version of the Speedster and I am the type of person who always gravitates towards the most severe and reductive kind of industrial design. The new Speedster gives you the option of losing the racing red and yellow stripes and would then come with more sedate (albeit elegant) and tightened up chrome and black side panels (though I would love to see a midnight blue). I thought that I would like the chrome and black color scheme more but I don't. The Speedster screams retro-futurism and the red and yellow version reinforces this spirit of optimism and celebration. With the Speedster, form and color brings us back to the whale tails, fins, and the neon signs of the 50's. Sans the digital readout, the Speedster is a masterpiece. I would love to see detailed photos of the latest Speedster next to the original 2001 model. Better yet, forget the photos, I want to caress both machines. Is the 2001 version more of a masterpiece? One thing's for sure; it's got legs that could kill.
 View Profile Link to this post
UrbanDiner

Grinder: yes
Vac Pot: yes
Posted Mon Sep 7, 2009, 2:23pm
Subject: Re: Speedster Espresso Machine

The first shot I have ever pulled was on Coffee Geek's Speedster, so I might be a bit bias, however, it had me grinning from ear to ear and the resulting espresso shot was awesome. I appreciate the remarkable craftsmanship and racing aesthetic of Kees van der Westen's machine. Brilliant!
MarkPrince

Expertise: Professional

Espresso: KvdW Speedster
Grinder: Versalab M3 Grinder
Vac Pot: A bit too many
Drip: Bonavita
Roaster: Hario Glass Retro Roaster
Posted Mon Sep 7, 2009, 3:17pm

TimEggers Said:

Curious what pressure(s) you typically brew at?

Posted September 5, 2009 link

I've done three sessions so far with a Scace device to check the grouphead temps - there is some variance at the start of shots because of the nature of the preinfusion chamber / piston design - basically I have the offset tuned so that it will show accurate temperatures if you pull only a couple of shots per session; if you pull more than two doubles in a row, the group actually gets slightly hotter water (about 1f-1.5f hotter) because of the nature of the constant heating the preinfusion chamber gets.

That said, it could be tuned either way - for occasional shot, or for consistent shot after shot.

I've found that with the current offset, the variance at the grouphead is only 0.4F at most, and usually within 0.2F if I give a wait-time of about 1min between shot / measurements.

Lately I've been running Black Cat through it exclusively and as per Intelligentsia website's instructions, brewing it at 198.5 at the grouphead. Epic is getting about 201F.

Transitioning between temps is pretty quick - going up 2F is about a 3 minute affair; going down 2F is quicker, if you're flushing the boiler for 30, 40 seconds.

Mark

CoffeeGeek Senior Editor
www.twitter.com/coffeegeek www.flickr.com/coffeegeek, www.instagram.com/coffeegeek (you get the picture)
MarkPrince

Posted Mon Sep 7, 2009, 3:23pm

andys Said:

Steam boiler could be better insulated for energy efficiency.

Posted September 6, 2009 link

Everything could be better insulated :) (looking at the typical HX square box Italian consumer machines); the Speedster's steam boiler does have an insulated wrap - I found mine's pretty good - I like that it makes cups on top steaming hot (I never preheat cups from the Speedster); there is a bit excess in top heat, but the side panels do a great job of dissipating heat from the machine - you can always remove the side panels, and even the top panel doesn't get too hot to touch or remove.

andys Said:

Drip tray could be slightly larger and/or incorporate a higher rim to better contain splashes.

I think I'd like to see the back rim of the drip tray a bit higher too - when I do portafilter flushes / rinses, it sometimes splashes the table below / behind the drip tray.

andys Said:

Steam line could come from the factory insulated and ideally should slope continuously downwards from the front panel steam valve to the boiler. This is so the condensation that inevitably occurs while idling will flow back into the boiler and doesn't remain in the line.

Wow, that's pretty detailed - did you tell Kees this?

andys Said:

The brain box is supposed to prevent the auto refill from actuating while you're pulling a shot, but surprisingly, about once every hundred shots it happens anyway.

I haven't noticed this yet.

andys Said:

Overall, I remained thrilled with this machine and don't regret the significant expense for a second!

Niggling point: your PIDs look like mine, and they are Jumo brand, not Fuji.

Where the heck did I get Fuji from - I think I read it on Kees' site? I'll change it in the article.

Mark

CoffeeGeek Senior Editor
www.twitter.com/coffeegeek www.flickr.com/coffeegeek, www.instagram.com/coffeegeek (you get the picture)
MarkPrince

Posted Mon Sep 7, 2009, 3:26pm

UrbanDiner Said:

The first shot I have ever pulled was on Coffee Geek's Speedster, so I might be a bit bias, however, it had me grinning from ear to ear and the resulting espresso shot was awesome. I appreciate the remarkable craftsmanship and racing aesthetic of Kees van der Westen's machine. Brilliant!

Posted September 7, 2009 link

Hey Paul - great to see you join in here!

You're welcome back ANYTIME to hang out in Caffe Disco, pull some shots on the Speedster and just chill out :)

Mark

CoffeeGeek Senior Editor
MarkPrince

Posted Mon Sep 7, 2009, 3:29pm

Good news to report!

I had a more detailed discussion with Kees about the possibility of analog stopwatch dials for the Speedster, and he's quite open to the idea and his team is going to start looking for suitable dials (that match the orman dials), and investigate the do-ability of it. I begged him to make it a "retro refit" kit for existing Speedster owners too.

Kees likes the idea and thinks it would be a great fit for the retro nature of the Speedster and his concept for the machine.

It is not guaranteed of course, but if it happens, the Speedster should be the first machine to show both full shot time (including preinfusion) and pump shot time.... and in beautiful analog!

Mark

CoffeeGeek Senior Editor
TimEggers
TimEggers

Espresso: QM Anita, Cappuccino Amore
Grinder: Baratza Vario, Mazzer SJ
Vac Pot: Antique McKee, Santos
Drip: Pour Over, Bodum Presses
Roaster: RK Drum
Posted Mon Sep 7, 2009, 3:51pm

Mark that sounds great, Speedster sure is looking excellent.  Thanks for the feedback on your temps, curious as to what pressure you are brewing at as well?

Thanks in advance for any information you can share.  And again great write-up!

Tim Eggers
http://www.facebook.com/TimEggers
http://twitter.com/Tim_Eggers
http://www.youtube.com/user/TimEggers
MarkPrince

Posted Mon Sep 7, 2009, 4:12pm

TimEggers Said:

curious as to what pressure you are brewing at as well?

I have the machine's pump set to 9.1bar; line pressure is measured at about 50-55psi (depending on the day) comes in just short of 3bar last time I pressure tested it.

Mark
PS thanks everyone for the compliments on the article! Seriously appreciated.

CoffeeGeek Senior Editor
davidhunternyc
davidhunternyc

Posted Mon Sep 7, 2009, 5:23pm

MarkPrince Said:

Good news to report!

I had a more detailed discussion with Kees about the possibility of analog stopwatch dials for the Speedster, and he's quite open to the idea and his team is going to start looking for suitable dials (that match the orman dials), and investigate the do-ability of it. I begged him to make it a "retro refit" kit for existing Speedster owners too.

Kees likes the idea and thinks it would be a great fit for the retro nature of the Speedster and his concept for the machine.

It is not guaranteed of course, but if it happens, the Speedster should be the first machine to show both full shot time (including preinfusion) and pump shot time.... and in beautiful analog!

Mark

Wow! That is fantastic that you talked to Kees about the analog dials and I can't wait to see it. I just joined CoffeeGeek.com just because of the brilliant engineering behind the Speedster Espresso Machine. It is nice to know that the best might possibly still get even better. For me, the digital read-out was like scratching on a chalk board (only because everything else is such a work of art). I guess I am a bit sheepish about my next question but I just have to ask it: If you had to compare the 2001 Speedster to the 2008 model, strictly in terms of design and build quality, which machine which would you choose and why?
 View Profile Link to this post
showing page 2 of 7 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Articles > First Looks... > Speedster...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Great Espresso at Home
Curated selection of the best machines from La Spaziale, Izzo, Quick Mill, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.360863924026)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+