Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Articles: Products First Look Feedback
Cafelat Tampers and Accessories
Green Unroasted Coffee
Free shipping. Save 15% on variety pack, use 'variety' at checkout
www.madbeanscoffee

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Articles > First Looks... > Cafelat Tampers...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
MarkPrince

Expertise: Professional

Espresso: KvdW Speedster
Grinder: Versalab M3 Grinder
Vac Pot: A bit too many
Drip: Bonavita
Roaster: Hario Glass Retro Roaster
Posted Wed Sep 15, 2010, 12:00am
Subject: Cafelat Tampers and Accessories

Cafelat Tampers and Accessories

An introduction and first look to the wide range of tampers available from Cafelat, and two tamper accessories - the Tamper Hanger and the Tamping Stand.
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Worldman
Worldman

Espresso: Expobar Office Control
Grinder: Cimbali 6/S
Posted Thu Sep 16, 2010, 7:35am
Subject: Re: Cafelat Tampers and Accessories

Mark,  

The "creations" of Paul Pratt always seem to be both well-made and reasonably priced. This IS the definition of good value. I remember when the HB Tamper Road Show (of a couple of years ago) showed up on my doorstep. One of my "favs" was the Bumper Tamper though I thought it looked kinda "cheesy" with the rubber seams in full display, the feel of the thing was just tremendous.

The Cafelat tampers seem to be all that + good looking.

So what gives with the $100+ CG tamper? Any description?

Len
Len's Espresso Blends
www.lensespressoblends.com
 View Profile Link to this post
MarkPrince

Espresso: KvdW Speedster
Grinder: Versalab M3 Grinder
Vac Pot: A bit too many
Drip: Bonavita
Roaster: Hario Glass Retro Roaster
Posted Sun Sep 19, 2010, 11:57pm

The CoffeeGeek Tamper got delayed this year again in the Spring because the project required $12,500 from me to make the final production run happen; I had the money, but in April, a housing crisis forced (in many ways) Beata and I to scrounge every single dime we could access so we could buy a home. Our living space took first priority, so the money I had earmarked for the tamper (and the website) went to the downpayment. I'm slowly building up new capital, and once I get near that $12K mark again, the tamper project is going forward.

Mark

CoffeeGeek Senior Editor
www.twitter.com/coffeegeek www.flickr.com/coffeegeek, www.instagram.com/coffeegeek (you get the picture)
dms

Expertise: I live coffee

Posted Mon Sep 20, 2010, 8:44pm

Mark, thanks for the review.  I've been using many of their new items (the new big knockbox, tamper holder, steaming pitcher, and the new tamping stand), and I've been very impressed with the design and the value.  But my tamping stand seemed to have developed the same split in the rubber top as yours in the 'damage' photo, and probably after only 8w of use.

I need to give them a call and see what they can do.
iginfect
iginfect
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: vetrano
Grinder: versalab m3
Vac Pot: yama 5 cup
Drip: melior french press
Roaster: hot top kn-8828p
Posted Tue Sep 21, 2010, 4:34am

My tamper stand also has the split and only after a short time. The split hasn't enlarged over the course of many months and doesn't seem to effect its use or good looks. Would probably buy it again.

Marvin
Paul_Pratt
Paul_Pratt

Espresso: Marzocco SMAL + GS
Grinder: Vulcano
Drip: Pourover cone works best for...
Roaster: Probat
Posted Fri Sep 24, 2010, 4:48am

Thanks to the feedback comments, I have horrified! Drop me an email paul @ companyname.com  and we will get it sorted.  I might try silicone rubber instead on the stand which has a bit more stretch in it.
Stig
Stig
Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Thu Nov 18, 2010, 11:32am

Thank you for this detailed first review.
The tampers are very good and solid looking.
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Articles > First Looks... > Cafelat Tampers...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.237660169601)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+