Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Articles: Guide Article Feedback
The Milk Frothing Guide
Craft Roasted Coffee
Some days you make the coffee. Other days the coffee makes you.
bit.ly/craftroasting-ks

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Articles > Guide Feedback > The Milk...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 4 of 5 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
claye

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: saeco SE
Grinder: Mazzer Luigie
Posted Wed Nov 2, 2005, 9:22pm
Subject: Re: The Milk Frothing Guide

Hello all
I thought it was great. It helped in my cafe alot thanks Aarin
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
TheCoffeeKids
TheCoffeeKids
Posted Fri Feb 3, 2006, 3:29am

This is exellent, keep them coming CoffeeGeek.
All you need now is a step by step guide with pictures and/or videos on how to make latte art (as in a whole section for each kind e.g. a page full of info, pics etc just on how to make a heart).

Charlie...
 View Profile Link to this post
Panoula

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Fri Jun 2, 2006, 9:03am

Aaron,
Thanks for the well written article. The step by step instructions and pictures have helped clear things up for me, a true beginner. I just bought my first espresso machine, Bezzera BZ02S, after much reading and researching on several websites. (Are you familiar with the machine?) After a week of playing around with my new toy, over 2 pounds of coffee and 2 gallons of milk, I'm still feeling frustrated with my frothing ability. My husband was able to produce pretty decent foam with it, but I feel the steam tip is too powerful and the wand itself is too short. Is it possible for the wand to be too short? Should I buy a replacement steam tip to ease my frustration or do I just keep practicing? I've written to 1st Line Equipment with these questions and after a week have not heard back so I could really use some advice.

Also, I was wondering if there are any videos I could watch online of someone like you actually frothing milk. I think this would be so helpful. Thanks so much for your time.
Cybercoffee

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: La Pavoni Europiccola/Jura...
Posted Mon Sep 18, 2006, 3:32pm

Wonderful guide.  I'm struggling with creating microfoam at home. My work has a professional model machine we are able to use and it creates absolutely perfect foam.  I've skipped making coffee at home in preference for the real deal at the office.  My wife however wants our home machine to work just as well. I read that the type of machine has a lot to do with the foam quality. You mentioned that a basic heat exchanger model produces the best foam.  We have a superauto that is terrible. Thermoblock = bad foam? In the sub-2K range, based on foam alone, what's the best model to choose? Also, do all semi-auto models accept pods or is that model dependent. Wife wants a pod. (don't ask!)  Thanks,

Mark
roccoincalifornia

Posted Thu Dec 7, 2006, 8:11am

Great guide, has really changed my foaming.
gormondroyd

Posted Sun Feb 4, 2007, 4:50am

Wow what a great 'how to' as an 'newbie' to home coffee making its help me through the first informative weeks... just one question.. is there anyway to get an off linje version.. say as a .pdf.

it would be great to have a hard copy to refer to as I build my drinks

cheers again for a great guide

Graham
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
alan_lee

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Wed Mar 7, 2007, 6:45am

Hi guys! My first post on this awesome site! :)

Am a newbie in the wonderful world of coffee brewing, and have been trying to froth milk with very very pathetic results. I'm using low-fat milk in a stainless steel receptacle, but what I get is just some bubbly (not big ones) and not the microfoam that the pros achieve. I'm using the Krups X2040.

Would be grateful if someone could help this helpless newbie! Thanks in advance!
jesse6666

Expertise: I like coffee

Posted Fri Jul 6, 2007, 7:59am

Hello,

Excellent and informative article, but I still have a few questions...

I am new to commercial grade machines. For the past few years, I have been using the Starbucks Barista, and while not necessarily a latte artist, I was able to "create latte-artist-foam".

Recently, a family member purchased a SanRemo Commercial Espresso machine and grinder, which make the Starbucks machine look like a cheap gimmick.

However, the steamwand seems to be much bigger with a much wider tip and is MUCH MORE POWERFUL.

Instead of being able to hear little ch-ch-ch sounds while watching loads of microfoam being created in my old machine, I now either get milk splashing from out of the frothing cup or watch a whirlpool effect with little to no foam being created.

What's more, the milk gets heated 5 times faster than the starbucks machine, which makes it even more difficult for me to create any foam.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated. I've read many of the articles on CoffeeGeek and have been wondering whether the steamwand's tip is too large? But what do I know...
Iconiq
Iconiq
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Sunbeam EM6910
Grinder: Gaggia MDF
Roaster: Pop Corn Popper
Posted Mon Aug 6, 2007, 4:46am

Hey all!

Can anyone tell me what i might be doing wrong? My latte art doesn't seem to flow as well as most of the clips I'm seeing. I've got really fine micro bubbles in my milk, I'm using fresh ground beans and have a VERY thick crema. Can that be a problem? Everything just seems a little stiff. I don't even bang the milk jug on the counter.(I was told that could make the milk to stiff for good latte art.) Anys suggestions would be great!

Des
atao

Espresso: silvia, livietta
Posted Thu Aug 16, 2007, 7:52am
Subject: frothing in a 12oz pitcher - having problems

Hello,

I could use some help with getting microfoam in a 12oz pitcher with a Silvia. With a 20oz pitcher and say 10oz of milk, i've had pretty good success - pretty good microfoam; i generally stretch till about 100 then sink the wand a bit deeper and continue till around 140. I make sure to get a whirlpool, keep the wand near the side of the pitcher. The foam comes out pretty tight and homogenous.

But with 4-6oz of milk in a 12oz pitcher, i find that there seems to be just too much steam pressure (i have a new silvia) and if i open up the steam valve all the way, the milk will want to fly out of the pitcher. In addition, and i guess related to that, because the milk is going everywhere, its difficult to position the steaming wand at a good spot and i end up getting really poor foam.

I've tried freezing the pitcher and also i've tried (just a bit) opening the steam valve only partway, but from reading postings/looking at videos, it seems that i shouldn't have to try to trim the steam valve. i've also seen suggestions for small quantities of milk (3-6oz) that you can just sink the steaming wand deep and let it rip. This also hasn't really worked for me. Can anyone help here? Would really appreciate some help. I have seen the video of steaming in a McDonalds cup and yet i think that if i were to try that technique, milk would be on the walls in my kitchen.

On a related note, i was wondering how people succeed in steaming for 2 cappas in 1 pitcher. For example, i believe in the WBC, they typically steam into a single pitcher and then pour multiple cappas, but there was some special technique for this, such as pouring off some liquid. Any pointers here?

thanks in advance!
Andrew
showing page 4 of 5 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Articles > Guide Feedback > The Milk...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Donate to Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids works with farming communities around the world, improving lives. Donate today.
www.coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.205302000046)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+