Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Articles: Guide Article Feedback
Beginner's Guide to Cupping
Barista Tools
Large selection of tampers, pitchers, milk frothers and much more!
www.espressozone.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Articles > Guide Feedback > Beginner's Guide...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
Author Messages
rmontcal

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: francisfrancis! X5
Grinder: KitchenAid ProLine burr
Drip: KitchenAid 4 cup
Posted Fri Nov 25, 2005, 3:53pm
Subject: Re: Beginner's Guide to Cupping

All of the comments here are giving high ratings for this article.  I read this article to find out what "cupping" is.  It is not defined anywhere.  The first sentence should be "Cupping is..."
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
iZappa
iZappa
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Isomac Millenium
Grinder: Anfim Haus, Ascaso i-2,...
Drip: French press will do
Roaster: Gene Cafe
Posted Thu Nov 2, 2006, 2:15am

Great article!

But it left me with two questions I hope someone have an answer for:

1. Which grind setting to use? And would it be the same for the differen roast levels (coffe intended for drip or espresso)?

2. Is espresso/dark roast coffee cupped in the same way as well? Does this guide apply for all roast levels?

Let's make the water turn black
 View Profile Link to this post
stivgan

Expertise: Pro Roaster

Espresso: expobar
Grinder: Macap
Drip: Swiss
Roaster: Probat
Posted Thu Mar 31, 2011, 8:07am

I just try to help a bit.
Answers Cupping protocol from SCAA;
  1. Grind particle size should be slightly coarser than typically used for paper filter drip
    brewing, with 70% to 75% of the particles passing through a U.S. Standard size 20 mesh
  2. At least 5 cups from each sample should be prepared to evaluate sample
  3. uniformity.

4. Espresso and dark roast are cupped differently.

The purpose of this cupping protocol is the determination of the cupper’s perception of quality. The quality of
specific flavor attributes is analyzed, and then drawing on the cupper’s previous experience,
samples are rated on a numeric scale. The scores between samples can then be compared.
Coffees that receive higher scores should be noticeably better than coffees that receive lower
scores.

Sensory testing is done for three reasons:
- To determine the actual sensory differences between samples
- To describe the flavor of samples
- To determine preference of products

I personally say, tasting is more related with memory than our sensor buds. So we need to develop our memory good to be able to describe more about our tasting experiences.

And more important, don't put too much thoughts,  just enjoy your coffee, drinks and foods.
 View Profile Link to this post
COFFEESPAZZ
COFFEESPAZZ
Expertise: I live coffee

Posted Mon Oct 22, 2012, 8:01pm

Excellent article! Thanks for taking the time to share. Cupping is a valuable as both an art and a science and can really help others develop a new appreciation for coffee.
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Articles > Guide Feedback > Beginner's Guide...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.174461841583)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+