Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Articles: Guide Article Feedback
The Milk Frothing Guide
Rancilio Silvia - How to
Step by step guide for easy brewing and steaming with the Rancilio Silvia
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Articles > Guide Feedback > The Milk...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 5 of 5 first page previous page
Author Messages
kahvedelisi
kahvedelisi
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Rancilio Epoca ST1
Grinder: LaCimbali Jr, Rancilio MD...
Vac Pot: Hario MCA-3
Drip: filter cone, Aeropress,...
Roaster: Air Popcorn Popper
Posted Tue Oct 23, 2007, 2:25pm
Subject: Copyright issues

I didn't know where to write this, so I'm writing it here (if needed mods can delete my post)

Mark,

This page http://www.lasiesta.com.tr/barista/sutkoprtm.asp is an exact copy of coffeegeek Milk Frothing Guide, it's a reproduction just not in english but in turkish (actually I can't call it reproduction, since it's a translation)

If you gave permission to them already, then I owe everybody an apology, but the article translated as if someone from lasiesta wrote it himself/herself (ie. starting a sentence "in lasiesta we do like this bla bla and it goes on with a sentence from the original article) and there's no mentioning of coffeegeek.com anywhere. Plus there is an espresso shot picture used which I'm very sure I saw here at coffeegeek before (ie. illy alien cup shot, well yeah many people have those cups but not the same blue striped cloth used under the cup =P)

I'm sure when you look at the page it will look very "turkish" to you, so just check out this sentence (they forgot to translate it =P) if you need more proof I'll post.

This is from their page:

En iyisi sonda : Proteinler. Sütün köpürmesi onlara bagli. Teknik olarak oldukça karmasik ve küçük yapidalar. “Foam formation is mainly based on the effect that in the boundary layers of the phases, liquid and air molecules are enriched due to a boundary layer activity and therefore stabilize the boundary layers.” (Milk and Diary Product Technology, Spreer & Dekker, 1998)

This is from coffeegeek page:

Proteins I've saved the best for last. Proteins are responsible for our milk being able to be foamed. Technically very complex little structures, milk foam bubbles and how they are created can be tough to get a handle on. Case in point: “Foam formation is mainly based on the effect that in the boundary layers of the phases, liquid and air molecules are enriched due to a boundary layer activity and therefore stabilize the boundary layers.”
(Milk and Diary Product Technology, Spreer & Dekker, 1998)

PS. a) I had to re-write some parts cos tr characters not visible due to CG forum's encoding b) I should have underlined the whole sentence cos the turkish part is also a translation of what's written there (ie. best for last in turkish means "en iyisi sonda")

It's a bird, it's a plane, it's a CoffeeGeek!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
mgalli

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Euro 2000 Jr.
Grinder: Mazzer Super Jolly
Drip: French Press
Posted Fri Dec 7, 2007, 3:01am
Subject: Re: The Milk Frothing Guide

Aaron,
Thanks for the great guide.  I sat down with a printed version of the guide and was able to quickly achieve proper microfoam.  I still need to work on the latte art, but that will come with time.  Thanks for your assistance and yes your guide is still being used four years later.
 View Profile Link to this post
Singul4r1ty

Expertise: I like coffee

Posted Tue Mar 4, 2008, 8:02am

Thank you for this excellent guide Aaron, but since this is a coffee"geek'' site:
I have mixed experience with the relation between fat content and foam generation.
So I wandered the internet and found a lot of info about fats helping trap air in icecream/ whipped cream(e.g. http://www.foodsci.uoguelph.ca/dairyedu/icstructure.html) whilst in your article the foam is
attributed to proteins. Can anyone shed some light on this?
kayimbo

Expertise: Pro Barista

Posted Mon Jan 10, 2011, 1:53am

I did not like this guide.  I would have liked it much more without all the little personal garbage thrown in, in fact i signed up for an account just complain.  I would have much preferred a completely dry facts article.  I especially found the part about what drinks for what time of day to be irritating.

Also i disagree with using a thermometer, especially for people starting out.  Way easier and more accurate to go by the sound of the pitcher and feeling the temperature with your hands.   I didn't read every single word, but it seemed like you glossed over calibrating your thermometer, which as far as i know you have to do fairly often if you're going to use one.

All in all except for some of the science stuff, it was a pretty basic article in way too many words.  I was hoping for some really nuanced stuff that can't be figured out in 30 minutes of playing with a machine.

edit:  also again, didn't read every word so maybe this was covered:  If the guide is aimed at absolute beginners, you should mention people with decent steaming wands should try using more milk than they would drink.  More milk = easier foaming.

last edit:  You mention you prefer the 20oz pitchers.  I think a mediumish pitcher works good for people new to it.  I dunno I don't like using a small pitcher.
DavidFairbanks
DavidFairbanks
Expertise: Just starting

Posted Fri Mar 4, 2011, 1:56am

lol
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
showing page 5 of 5 first page previous page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Articles > Guide Feedback > The Milk...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Coffee Kids
Help folks who help folks in coffee producing nations.
coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.370948076248)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+