Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Articles: Holiday Gift List Feedback
Christmas wishlist help
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Articles > HGL Feedback > Christmas...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
Graphoniac

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Wed Nov 14, 2012, 9:49am
Subject: Christmas wishlist help

New here. I'm trying to find a respectable burr grinder in the $25-$35 range. I know that the best ones are probably going to be significantly more than that, but I'm looking for something that I can put on my husband's wishlist.com list, something that a family member might actually be able to afford. He uses our current grinder for drip coffee, and I use it for espresso and manual drip.

Also looking for a simple, low-end espresso machine for me, something that can pour two shots simultaneously and has a switch for the steam so that the steam wand can be used on its own.

We'll move up in quality later, but how do we find the cheapest options that are worth having?

Thanks!
 View Profile Link to this post
MochaJoe

Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: Gaggia Classic
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Posted Thu Nov 15, 2012, 2:40pm
Subject: Re: Christmas wishlist help

Hey, I saw that no one has responded to your question yet...so I thought I might offer some advice. But please keep in mind I have like, 2 weeks under my belt regarding "correct" equipment and what not.

First off, I dont think they even make a burr grinder period for $35 let alone a respectable  Your stated price point is more like a kitchen aid or Cuisinart blade grinder.  I would think, after my research and advice from the guys here is that the cheapest you can find that comes close to espresso-fine grind would be the Gaggia MDF burr grinder. Its currently on sale for $199 at Whole latte love. It gets a lot of good reveiws, but I looks like the doser lever wouldnt hold up to much use, and some guys here recommend tinkering with it.

If you're anything like me, you just want it. Thats why I purchased a Baratza Preciso. It retails for 299, and yea thats a lot of money. I know they sell a lower priced model called the Encore but dont know anything about it. I think that goes for 129???

For a simple, low end machine I'd suggest the machine I was going to get before I settled on my current Gaggia Classic. Its the Saeco Aroma and last time I checked Seattle Coffee gear was selling refurbished units for 149.99 +free ship.

Hopefully I helped, maybe some of the other more seasoned guys can help...but if you use the search function for grinder recommendation I doubt youll see any for less that $200 lol
Graphoniac

Posted Thu Nov 15, 2012, 2:50pm

Thanks for replying. I wasn't sure that I'd get anything from that post, since those in these forums are likely to be too accustomed to excellence to consider the cheap alternatives. I'm like that in some things, but I can't afford the real quality, so I'm looking for a knock-off that'll buy me time, if you will.

Ie, Click Here (www.google.com)

Same thing with the espresso machine--I want something that can brew two shots, and can switch the steam wand on and off. The cheapest "espresso" machines don't switch the steam on and off, but the next step up in price range does.

Again, thanks for the reply. If no one here can help me in this price range, I'll just go with whatever I can find, and return when we can afford something better! :)
MochaJoe

Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: Gaggia Classic
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Posted Thu Nov 15, 2012, 6:18pm

Well like I lot of people here, I would say get a really good grinder first, and get like a cruddy espresso machine. Look at seattle coffee gear. They carry a Saeco Poemia (sp). It can pull two shots, and has a steam wand like you're talking about. New is 179.99, but for that money I'd say get the Refurb Aroma. The good thing about these both is the pressurized pf/baskets they have. You dont have to do any tamping, or get the grind as fine as you do with a tradition non-pressurized pf/basket. They have really cool youtube video reveiws on their entire line demonstrating there use

if get the Saeco Aroma Refurb for 149.99 and order a refurb Baratza Preciso for 229.00, you could get a low end set up for under $400.00. And, since the grinder is espresso grade, you would only have to buy a tamper and non-pressurized basket to make "real" espresso later on. Just my thoughts, Im sure the others might have some ideas.
Graphoniac

Posted Thu Nov 15, 2012, 6:54pm

great advice, thanks!
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Articles > HGL Feedback > Christmas...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Donate to Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids works with farming communities around the world, improving lives. Donate today.
www.coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.165864944458)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+