Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Articles: How-To Article Feedback
Espresso Con Panna!
Coffee Kids
Help folks who help folks in coffee producing nations.
coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Articles > How-To Feedback > Espresso Con...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 4 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
jamesglu

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Bezzera Domus Galatea
Grinder: Mazza Mini
Vac Pot: Several
Drip: None
Roaster: None
Posted Fri Nov 28, 2003, 4:47am
Subject: Re: Espresso Con Panna!

I'm confused; how you can whip skim milk?  If this is indeed possible, I think I'm going to have to give it a shot (pun intended!)
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
RoxieL
RoxieL

Espresso: Expobar (Control)/Saeco...
Grinder: Cimbali Jr/Rocky/SB Barista
Vac Pot: eSantos/ eSantos Jr.
Drip: Bunn
Roaster: Hottop/FR+
Posted Fri Nov 28, 2003, 8:26am
Subject: Re: Splenda? Skim milk? Cream in a can? Are you serious?

DavidSydney Said:

I'm sorry, but I have to speak up for the purists.

How can you be serious about coffee if your adulterate it with Splenda (aka Sucralose)? I only have one word for this stuff:

AAARRRGGHHHHHHHH!!!!!! It tastes filthy!

[digressive rant begins] I'm afraid I just don't 'get' the artificial sweetener thing. They all taste so disgusting to me I'd rather do without the sweetening than have the nasty aftertaste (without even beginning to consider the not-quite-worked-out health consequences of the stuff).

As for skim milk...well if you you really prefer the taste of it, it's okay (we'll just have to agree to disagree!).

And whipped cream out of a can...again, not exactly the real thing.

David

Posted February 19, 2002 link

People can be serious about alot of things & still disagree with what another person thinks is adulteration.  So you don't "get" the artificial sweetener thing.  Fine.  Don't use it.  Personally, I use Splenda almost always - diabetics can use it, since it doesn't elevate your blood sugar.  No, I'm not diabetic.  Just interested in staying healthy & feeling good.  

So you don't like skim milk.  Fine.  Don't drink it.  

As they say...  'different strokes for different folks'.   In reality, perhaps the people who are "serious" about coffee are the ones who are able to enjoy it in all it's variations.
a1batr0ss

Espresso: Isomac Millenium!
Grinder: Mazzer Mini
Vac Pot: Bonjour Maximus french press
Posted Tue Feb 17, 2004, 4:15pm

I make these all of the time and I didn't even know it had a name.  I started the Atkins diet about a year ago and after reading the carb content on milk cartons I had to give up capucino's.  I missed them terribly.  So, I bought an ISI Profi Whip stainless steal cream whipper.  If you want to try this drink you might as well by a new toy; makes it much more enjoyable.  I too mixed Splenda (no carbs, remember) with my cream but also mixed a wonderful vanilla extract with it; Citlali Pure Mexican Vanilla Extract from Dean and Deluca.  It tastes wonderful.  Personally I can't tell the difference between cream made with Splenda and cream made with sugar now that I've been using Splenda for over a year.  It's quite a treat.  3 Splenda packets, 1 quart of heavy cream, 2 teaspoons vanilla - pour it into the ISI, charge it with nitrogen and you've got a very decadent topping that can make a low carb diet more than bearable.

Get the Profi Whip at ISI North America along with a 12-pack of nitrogen chargers.  

While I like the espresso with whipped cream I really enjoy press pot coffee with cream more.
 View Profile Link to this post
ljguitar
ljguitar
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Expobar Pulsar
Grinder: Mazzer SuperJolly • Baratza
Drip: Bunn • AeroPress
Roaster: Behmor•Variacs
Posted Tue Feb 17, 2004, 6:56pm
Subject: Re: Splenda? Skim milk? Cream in a can? Are you serious?

DavidSydney Said:

--- I'm sorry, but I have to speak up for the purists.
--- How can you be serious about coffee if your adulterate it with Splenda (aka Sucralose)? I only have one word for this stuff:
--- AAARRRGGHHHHHHHH!!!!!! It tastes filthy!

Posted February 19, 2002 link

All in favor of somebody being appointed spokesman for the purists say "Aye..."

We have used half cream/half water for several years now, and when we sweeten capps and lattes, we use Splenda. The texture is creamier than regular milk and wipes off wands easily. Doesn't do art well.

Interestingly, we have a friend who sounds like you, David, and he had been raving about our capps sweetened with Splenda and made with the cream mixture for nearly 2 years when he discovered what we used, and our capps suddenly developed an 'after taste'. He now only has his with sugar.

He's not the only one who we have served milk based bevs who didn't know that we used Splenda - which has never been a secret nor an announcement at our house. He is the only one who asks for sugar.

People just don't pay that close attention when you are building capps and lattes...until they want to make their own.

Many folk in this group prefer to use cream or milk with Splenda to not having capps and lattes. Since all food is an acquired taste we don't taste Splenda in things or not taste it in things. It is just a sweetner. After many years of using it, it has become our sweetner of preference.

Roxie has a very balanced view...if someone in the group doesn't like particular things, don't ingest them. But, please, don't insult or put others down who hold different preferences than yours.

It's ok to tune people out or refuse to read their posts, but not good to put people down.

L  a  r  r  Y

L  a  r  r  Y          J

<°)))><
binki

Espresso: Silvia
Grinder: Innova
Vac Pot: Bodum
Drip: Aeropress
Roaster: Alpenröst
Posted Fri Feb 20, 2004, 7:01am

Skim milk? How the heck can you whip that? I thought the fat content was key to the whippability. I've had lousy results with light cream when I ran low on heavy cream.

I'm on Atkins so I'm all about the heavy cream, sweetened with DaVinci sugar-free vanilla syrup. It's got MOUTHFEEL, baby! I mix up a big batch in an iSi whipper every week or two and use it every morning (and most nights, on dessert). I definitely agree that the whipper is a toy worth having. I think this single change, from cappuccinos made with milk every morning to the panna, is responsible for a few pounds of weight loss.
pstam
pstam
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: ECM, SAN MARCO, EURO 2000
Grinder: MAZZER
Vac Pot: YES
Drip: YES
Roaster: YES, HOME STYLE
Posted Tue Feb 15, 2005, 4:08pm

As you said, "Essentially a Starbucks invention (but it has previous roots)...", so its name had some mistake of spelling.  In Italian, as my daughter pointed, it should be "Panne", not "Panna".  Since it can not be single, only plural form.

I think that it is better to consult an Italian for its correct spelling.

pstam: kaffalogo.jpg

Peter in Beijing
-------------------
http://www.kaffa.cn/
-------------------
I am looking for the way and the place to extend our trainning courses.
 View Profile Visit website Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
Kaarina
Kaarina
Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: LaPavoni Europiccola
Grinder: MiniMoka
Posted Thu Sep 15, 2005, 6:44am

There is one variation this maybe even more to the male taste: add irish whisky to the espresso, then the whipped cream as shown. Delicious!
jakethecoffeelover
jakethecoffeelover
Expertise: Pro Barista

Espresso: Gaggia Espresso
Grinder: Mazzer Super Jolly...
Vac Pot: Perhaps in the future...
Drip: Insulated Bodum Kenya FP
Roaster: Hearthware iRoast
Posted Sat Sep 17, 2005, 11:11pm

a1batr0ss Said:

my cream but also mixed a wonderful vanilla extract with it; Citlali Pure Mexican Vanilla Extract

Posted February 17, 2004 link

My friend brought back some vanilla extract from Mexico... it is SOOOOOOO good. I oughtta bum some off of him so I can make vanilla steamed milk at 2 in the morning.

I got a blog! http://www.coffeaarabica.blogspot.com
 View Profile Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
stripedfiend

Expertise: I live coffee

Posted Sat Sep 24, 2005, 9:54pm

I was just wondering how you got whipping cream from non-fat milk. Does it actually froth up?
 View Profile Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Link to this post
jakethecoffeelover
jakethecoffeelover
Expertise: Pro Barista

Espresso: Gaggia Espresso
Grinder: Mazzer Super Jolly...
Vac Pot: Perhaps in the future...
Drip: Insulated Bodum Kenya FP
Roaster: Hearthware iRoast
Posted Sat Sep 24, 2005, 10:56pm

You know how there's carbonatin from pressurized CO2 dissolving in water? Well this is nitrousification... nitrous oxide sort of dissolving inthe milk and causing quite a stir as it comes out to atmosphereic pressure, causing the nitrous oxide from the little canister to come out of solution and turn into microscopic gaseous pockets.

I got a blog! http://www.coffeaarabica.blogspot.com
 View Profile Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
showing page 2 of 4 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Articles > How-To Feedback > Espresso Con...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.281830072403)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+