Articles: How-To Article Feedback
Brewing Turkish Coffee
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Articles > How-To Feedback > Brewing Turkish...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 18 last page next page
Author Messages
MarkPrince

Expertise: Professional

Espresso: KvdW Speedster
Grinder: Versalab M3 Grinder
Vac Pot: A bit too many
Drip: Bonavita
Roaster: Hario Glass Retro Roaster
Posted Tue Nov 15, 2005, 7:00pm
Subject: Brewing Turkish Coffee

Brewing Turkish Coffee

CoffeeGeek serves up a primer on how to brew using one of the oldest continuing methods of making a fine cup of coffee - the Turkish (or Greek!) way.
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
peacedog
peacedog
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Andreja Premium; Presso
Grinder: rancilio rocky doserless
Vac Pot: Yama HCA-5
Drip: Krups Moka Brew; Technivorm...
Roaster: behmor 1600; Toastess popper
Posted Tue Nov 15, 2005, 9:10pm
Subject: Re: Brewing Turkish Coffee

I am glad to see how-tos that explore alternatives to "high tech" coffee making - providing both an economic alternative, and a different cultural/historical perspective.

When I visited Turkey about 15 years ago, I don't remember having Turkish coffee - apple tea seemed to be what was always available.   Fantastic country to visit - I will have to go back to try the coffee.

"Give me a rocks on the rocks - and put it in a dirty glass" - Cary Granite
 View Profile Link to this post
FredLanger
FredLanger
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Saeco Classico
Grinder: Solis Maestro
Vac Pot: Cory, Silex, Nicro, Sunbeam
Drip: Melitta one-cuppers, B&D...
Roaster: BBQ Grill, Hottop, WB...
Posted Wed Nov 16, 2005, 5:47am

A few notes re: things I uncovered when first attempting Greek coffee.  The Greeks make sure the foam tops off each cup instead of stirring or avoiding it.  In fact, the host(ess) is considered a failure if there is no foam.  Also, served with each cup of coffee is a large glass of ice water to drink between coffee sips.  I find that a welcome addition as it clears out any "mud" from the coffee sip and cleanses the palate to fully enjoy the next sip.

"Give a man fresh-roasted coffee and he'll drink like a king for a day.
Teach a man to roast and he will drink like a king for a lifetime."
 View Profile Visit website Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
augustusflavius

Espresso: Wega Lyra rotary, Olympia...
Grinder: Mazzer Super Jolly
Posted Wed Nov 16, 2005, 6:19am

You could also do a Yemeni version using fresh/dried cardamom pods. I have seen it on menu's in middle eastern restaurants as Asmali, very sweet and delicious.

Great how to! Thanks
Enkerli
Enkerli

Espresso: (At cafés, not at home)
Grinder: Hario hand grinders
Vac Pot: (Moka Pot) Bialetti Brikka
Drip: Steep and release pour-over
Roaster: iRoast-2
Posted Wed Nov 16, 2005, 6:37am
Subject: Effects of Boil?

Nice presentation and potentially rather useful. It'd be nice to have pictures of the two versions, one with foam and one without.
The big obvious question is, why is it ok to boil the coffee? What makes it different? How's the chemical process any different?
Had Turkish coffee a few times and it was in fact quite good, but it's hard for us to understand why it works.

By the way, there's a typo in “attion” for “attention”...

Alex
http://enkerli.com/
 View Profile Visit website Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Contact via ICQ Link to this post
aurelio
aurelio

Espresso: Gaggia Evolution
Grinder: Astra(CT)/Antigua
Vac Pot: Santos/FP/AP
Drip: Presto-SG/Krups(pourover)
Roaster: Alp
Posted Wed Nov 16, 2005, 7:44am

How timely!  Since I love ethnic cooking, I am planning a Middle-Eastern dinner night for visiting family members over Christmas!  I picked up an Ibrik a few months ago and was thinking of brewing some Turkish coffee to go with the Baklava for dessert!

Couple of questions for anyone...

• Is any particular kind of bean and roast better suited to Turkish coffee or can I make it with any of my roasts?

• If I want to add some of the spices, any suggestions on amounts/ratio?

Thanks,
Aurelio

"I am the great Cornholio!"  -- an overcaffeinated Beavis
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
My favorite CG posts...
Ristretto & blonding:  http://www.coffeegeek.com/forums/espresso/questions/202518
FP brewing tips:  http://www.coffeegeek.com/forums/coffee/machines/188186
Vacpot brewing tips: http://www.coffeegeek.com/forums/coffee/machines/184393
Green bean sellers: http://www.coffeegeek.com/forums/coffee/homeroast/179595
Inside the mind of a CG:  http://www.coffeegeek.com/forums/members/offtopic/176471
asoueidy

Espresso: Expobar Pulser
Grinder: Isomac Macinino Prof. Inox
Roaster: Heat Gun/Dog Bowl
Posted Wed Nov 16, 2005, 9:12am

Very interesting primer!

Brewing Turkish/Greek/Arabic style is easy and tasty. I am getting positive results using many different types of single origin Arabica beans and blends as long as they are of good quality and freshly roasted. I enjoy my cup without sugar. I do sometimes add fennel seeds or cardamon to the brew. I use either 1 or 2 cardamon pods or a pinch of fennel seeds and crush them in a mortar or add them whole. Always pre-heat the cups before serving.

Middle-Easterners, such as my mom, are able to read fortunes in your cup. Once you are done drinking the contents of your cup, she has you swirl around the sediments and liquid left at the bottom until everyting is dry. This creates patterns on the side walls and bottom that she then uses to predict your future. Kinda looks like this:

asoueidy: kahve_fal2.jpg
zangad
zangad

Espresso: La Spaziale Spazio
Grinder: KA Pro Line
Drip: Nothing special
Posted Wed Nov 16, 2005, 11:24am

Another great article, and quite timely! I've been enjoying french press coffee while I save up for an espresso machine. Also, with the holidays just around the corner, it's nice to see an economical and traditional way to enjoy coffee. I think I can spring for an ibrik without denting my espresso fund too badly. :)

A few years ago, I had Turkish coffee in an authentic Greek restaurant in Dallas. It was the only kind of coffee they served there. I had no idea it had actual coffee grounds in the cup...so I got a nice surprise when I tilted it back!

The thing I noticed different from the article and posts above (nice picture, asoueidy!) is that the bottom 1/4 of my cup was solid coffee grounds. I assumed it was intentional, because everything we ate/drink at this restaurant was fabulous - they had great attention to detail. Maybe that's just the way they liked it there?

Also, the cup I had was about 1 1/2 times as big as a demitasse, but still quite a bit smaller than a regular coffee cup. It was sort of an in-between size.

"If your mom were a collection class, her insert method would be public."
ChicagoSandy
ChicagoSandy

Espresso: Quickmill "La Cora,"  Silvia
Grinder: Mazzer Mini, Rocky DL
Vac Pot: Presses, Aeropress
Drip: postnasal, Technivorm
Roaster: Behmor, I-Roast2, SC/TO
Posted Wed Nov 16, 2005, 11:54am

Thought Turkish coffee had to have sugar in order to get good stable foam.  My ibrik cost me all of a dollar at a garage sale.  Though I've most often had Greek coffee in those green-striped white restaurant supply house demitasses (as opposed to espresso cups), in Arabic restaurants here and on the West Bank I've had it served mostly in tiny, handle-less cups hardly bigger than thimbles.

Sandy
www.sandyandina.com
-------------------
Life's too short to drink lousy coffee, play crummy guitars and write with ballpoint pens.
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
aurelio
aurelio

Espresso: Gaggia Evolution
Grinder: Astra(CT)/Antigua
Vac Pot: Santos/FP/AP
Drip: Presto-SG/Krups(pourover)
Roaster: Alp
Posted Wed Nov 16, 2005, 5:46pm

asoueidy Said:

I am getting positive results using many different types of single origin Arabica beans and blends as long as they are of good quality and freshly roasted. I enjoy my cup without sugar. I do sometimes add fennel seeds or cardamon to the brew. I use either 1 or 2 cardamon pods or a pinch of fennel seeds and crush them in a mortar or add them whole. Always pre-heat the cups before serving.

Posted November 16, 2005 link

Thanks, asoueidy!

Nice picture!

"I am the great Cornholio!"  -- an overcaffeinated Beavis
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
My favorite CG posts...
Ristretto & blonding:  http://www.coffeegeek.com/forums/espresso/questions/202518
FP brewing tips:  http://www.coffeegeek.com/forums/coffee/machines/188186
Vacpot brewing tips: http://www.coffeegeek.com/forums/coffee/machines/184393
Green bean sellers: http://www.coffeegeek.com/forums/coffee/homeroast/179595
Inside the mind of a CG:  http://www.coffeegeek.com/forums/members/offtopic/176471
showing page 1 of 18 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Articles > How-To Feedback > Brewing Turkish...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.301702022552)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+