Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Articles: How-To Article Feedback
How to Clean a Rancilio Rocky
Coffee Kids
Help folks who help folks in coffee producing nations.
coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Articles > How-To Feedback > How to Clean a...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 4 of 4 first page previous page
Author Messages
tcharp
tcharp
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Alex Duetto II
Grinder: Compak K10
Posted Tue Nov 14, 2006, 7:28pm
Subject: Re: How to Clean a Rancilio Rocky

jmoras Said:

Ok - I have a semi related question and a very related question.

I read people have to tug like heck to get the lower vane off. Any tools recommended? Any sugguestions?

Second - My doser is screwed up. The vanes move, but then do not catch and move back. I am guessing I have a  screwed up gear, or spring, or something inside, but no clue how to get to it or what I need. I sent a request to WLL who will happily sell the part and give me instructions - but a second opinion is always helpfull.

Posted August 1, 2005 link

I have the exact same problem.  I have noted that 1st Line offers a kit.  I'm wondering if I can replace the entire doser.   I think its very likely that the little bendy metal clip has finished on my Rocky as it has worked flawlessly for nearly 5 years now.

Is anyone still paying attention to this thread?  I sure hope so.

Thanks,
-TC
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
geertdevries

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Tue Mar 6, 2007, 6:44am

Good article! Seems a lot of work. So I use a grinder cleaner, which work more easy. They look like beans (same shape), you put it in the grinder, turn it on and it cleans the inside of your grinder. So you don't have to go all the way inside your grinder...

Urnex makes these cleaner products.
 View Profile Link to this post
Noonievut

Grinder: Rocky DL
Vac Pot: Other - Aeropress, Clever,...
Posted Tue May 15, 2007, 1:25pm

(long...sorry) I've owned my Rocky DL for a few months and I clean every 2 weeks following the instructions here, however, I don't remove the top burr (clean takes 3-5 minutes in total).  My question is do I need to remove the top burr (on this frequency, or at all)?

The first thing I do is use Grindz as per the instructions.

Then I remove the hopper (remembering which # it was set too when removed), remove the rubber and plastic part of the chute.  These all get cleaned in soapy water.  I brush any part of the burrs I can get at, then vacuum.

So far my coffee/espresso tastes as good as it did when I first bought it.

So, should I still remove the top burr and do some extra cleaning, or should this be sufficient?

I'm a little reluctant to remove the top burr.  I don't care about my true 0 point, I just know what settings I use for espresso/FP/Aeropress (and variations for bean types).

Last bit (sorry again for the long e-mail, hope you're still reading), if the consensus is that Grindz and my cleaning are not enough and the top burr should come off for more cleaning, than this is what I would do (does this make sense):

- note my current setting (let's assume it's 10 and one of the screw holes are lined up with the front arrow)...I'll put a small piece of tape at that screw hole
- turn the burr until removed, counting the number of revolutions
- I guess I'll be lifting up as I turn the burr, otherwise I'm thinking I'll be turning the burr a couple of extra revolutions, then when I count when I put it back the count will be different (yes I'm anal)

Thanks.
trjh

Posted Thu Jul 30, 2009, 8:10am

I was gifted some chocolate-flavored coffee beans from France, which I threw into my Rocky without looking too closely at them.  I couldn't read the label, really.

Turns out they were pure chocolate.  Not so good for the grinder.

This article helped tremendously in getting it cleaned up.  Thank you!
denpet

Expertise: I like coffee

Posted Wed Sep 14, 2011, 8:34pm

Nice guide.
However, I wouldn't be too afraid of removing the bottom burr as well. It gets really dirty underneath and it isn't that difficult to remove.
The only thing you need is a socket wrench and something soft to hold the burr in place, e.g. a wooden butter knife.
Just stick the butter knife in the hole from the front, to hold the burr in place while you gently unscrew the center screw from the grinder.
Once done, you just lift the burr straight up. Now, give it a nice scrub to get all those old residuals off.
The "gently" part in the unscrew sentence is important. If the screw is really stuck I don't recommend this method, as too much force might bend the axle.
toopickygirl

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Thu Nov 3, 2011, 10:37pm

Howdy All,

Trying to clean the valve on my "new to me" Gaggia Evolution.  Not only can't I figure out how to use this chat thingy here... I think I installed the valve backwards... Any help?
earthena

Espresso: Silvia
Grinder: Rocky
Posted Wed Mar 27, 2013, 12:26pm

Great article, I followed this to a T and I'm really with the results.
Jannet

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia
Grinder: Rocky
Posted Tue Mar 11, 2014, 11:27am

I was pretty nervous about taking my rocky apart and more importantly, reassembling.  Went with no glitches - whew!  I have had rocky for 5-6 months, grinding 2-3 double shots a day and was surprised that there was essentially no oily crud in the grinder area - compacted dust only.  I use 3 different beans and my current choice is fresh roasted locally (medium roast) and has no oil sheen.  Previous bean had more oil.  Maybe current bean scoured any oils????  Since some posters commented on the presence of oil, I thought I'd mention it - not complaining!!  My rocky is doserless - the opening into the chute was the most plugged.  Will pay more attention to that in future - the chute makes it awkward - will find a curved brush implement.
thanks for assistance.
showing page 4 of 4 first page previous page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Articles > How-To Feedback > How to Clean a...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Donate to Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids works with farming communities around the world, improving lives. Donate today.
www.coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.205497980118)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+