Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Articles: How-To Article Feedback
Roasting coffee with a popcorn popper
Donate to Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids works with farming communities around the world, improving lives. Donate today.
www.coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Articles > How-To Feedback > Roasting coffee...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 7 last page next page
Author Messages
MarkPrince

Expertise: Professional

Espresso: KvdW Speedster
Grinder: Versalab M3 Grinder
Vac Pot: A bit too many
Drip: Bonavita
Roaster: Hario Glass Retro Roaster
Posted Sun Apr 22, 2007, 12:00am
Subject: Roasting coffee with a popcorn popper

Roasting coffee with a popcorn popper

CoffeeGeek serves up simple instructions on how to start your own home roasting career, with the help of a standard, off the shelf popcorn popper, and lots of enthusiasm for learning about the process.
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
iEmil
iEmil
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Bezzera BZ09 -PID
Grinder: OE Pharos
Vac Pot: Bodum
Roaster: Behmor, IMEX, Toper Cafemino
Posted Tue Apr 24, 2007, 5:40am
Subject: Re: Roasting coffee with a popcorn popper

Ty Mark a very nice How-to !!

www.iEmil.se
mcKoffee
mcKoffee
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: VBM DD, Bricoletta, Audrey,...
Grinder: Major,SJ, Rocky,...
Vac Pot: Gold Royal Balance
Drip: When it rains...Aero,...
Roaster: USRC3k,CCR HT, Behmor, Cafe...
Posted Tue Apr 24, 2007, 6:15am

Great beginner's guide to popcorn popper coffee roasting Mark!  Couple points you might consider elaborating on.

1) Recommended starting point batch size of 85 grams.
Obviously poppers vary in capacity and greens movement varies by bean density, moisture content, size and shape. Might mention the method of determining batch size by adding greens until they just barely move at the beginning of roast. Movement picking up as they loose weight etc.

2) Roast times for stages.
Again times will vary by many factors including but not limited to batch size, bean type, line voltage, popper model, even popper to popper same model, ambient temp etc. (Of course you know this and did mention the cardboard box for cold weather roasting, good tip:-) But stating about 4 minutes for start of 1st and about 5 or 6 minutes for 2nd without more qualifiers for time variations could lead a newbie astray!  

I know the guide is intended as bare bones for the newbie, but also know that a newbie can easily get "stuck" or locked into thinking finite numbers are gold and when they don't get the same results from the same weight & times be clueless! Yeah I know, hit the home roasting forum for advanced discussion, but why not let 'em know up front them numbers are only rough examples of how some poppers will react under some conditions for some beans!

Again, overall nicely done!

miKe mcKoffee aka Mike McGinness
www.CompassCoffeeRoasting.com
Terry_L
Terry_L

Espresso: Gaggia Coffee
Grinder: MDF, Solis Scala 166
Vac Pot: French-Press(s)-Love 'em
Drip: Bunn
Roaster: SC/TO - Air Popper
Posted Tue Apr 24, 2007, 8:33am

Great Intro Article, Mark !!  
I'd like to see some posts on this thread for common problems and solutions in regards to taste.  I know I had a problem with the roasts going too fast and a very bright / acidic cup was the result.  The solution....simply reducing the batch size.

Another recent poster reported a "filmy" or fuzzy taste.  Not sure where the solution for her lies, but somebody here will square it away.

Others??

Enjoy !! - Terry
 View Profile Link to this post
CraigA
CraigA

Espresso: PID/PressureMod 2001...
Grinder: BUNN FPG-2 DBC, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Bodum Santos manual, Yama 5...
Drip: Behmor BraZen, BUNN VPR-APS,...
Roaster: Refurb Behmor 1600, BBQ...
Posted Tue Apr 24, 2007, 8:51am

Terry_L Said:

Another recent poster reported a "filmy" or fuzzy taste.  Not sure where the solution for her lies, but somebody here will square it away.

Posted April 24, 2007 link

Good article Mark!, I think I was the first one on it to rate it. {;-)

Yes, I've had that same taste also, a chalky taste that would possibly lead me to believe that it's a change/error/defect in the roast profile that favored an alkaline chemical change to produce it.

http://twitter.com/CoffeegeekCraig
http://www.facebook.com/craig.andrews.169
http://plus.google.com/u/0/100690035958728038289/posts/p/pub

Excellent coffee doesn't just happen!
 View Profile Visit website Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Contact via ICQ Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
themaskedcorndog

Vac Pot: French Press
Drip: no
Posted Tue Apr 24, 2007, 3:20pm

nice!

I was just about to start a thread so I could get started roasting with a popcorn popper.  good timing.
 View Profile Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Link to this post
RonTheMan

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Tue Apr 24, 2007, 7:10pm

Excellent stuff. Just to add my 2 cents, a stopwatch to keep track of the time and a journal for keeping roasting logs have been very helpful to me.
fatnat79

Espresso: Grimac Mini
Grinder: K30 ES
Vac Pot: Yama / Bodum Santos
Drip: Bodum French Press
Roaster: Gene Cafe / Popcorn Roaster
Posted Wed Apr 25, 2007, 9:39pm

Great write up Mark, as always.   Been waiting for one of these from CoffeeGeek for a while. =)  Funny timing, that is, I've been recently considering purchasing an actual coffee roaster machine such as the Fresh Roast Plus 8 or the Hearthware i-roast 2.  I am sure that either of these should perform substantially better than an ordinary popcorn popper both in end product and convenience (chaff collector and programmable sets), but by how much? As you said in your article, a popcorn popper used to roast coffee will considerably reduce the life of it, however, I have heard that even coffee roasters (such as the ones I mentioned above) have a short life span also (1-2 years depending on how much usage).  I do want decent coffee roasting performance without reaching the $500+ prosumer roasters out there, but since a popcorn popper is a fraction of the cost of a $100 Freshroast, how would you gauge an avid coffee drinker such as myself in their decision?  Just to let you know the level of my coffee commitment, I am a proud owner of the Rancilio duo (Silvia and Rocky).  Thanks again Mark, and to any other who decides to reply.

Keep up the good work!

-Nate
mcKoffee
mcKoffee

Espresso: VBM DD, Bricoletta, Audrey,...
Grinder: Major,SJ, Rocky,...
Vac Pot: Gold Royal Balance
Drip: When it rains...Aero,...
Roaster: USRC3k,CCR HT, Behmor, Cafe...
Posted Thu Apr 26, 2007, 7:46am

fatnat79 Said:

I've been recently considering purchasing an actual coffee roaster machine such as the Fresh Roast Plus 8 or the Hearthware i-roast 2.  I am sure that either of these should perform substantially better than an ordinary popcorn popper both in end product and convenience (chaff collector and programmable sets), but by how much?

Posted April 25, 2007 link

Unfortunately mostly incorrect assumption. Chaff collection wise yes but an unmodified popcorn popper will roast very similar to an FR and usually the popper will have larger batch capacity. The IR does have limited sort of profile capability by setting a number of target temp stages, but IMO has a glaring weakness too. Specifically the initial temp point is factor hard set and set too high. OTH the IR overall is more flexible than a stock FR or popper. The IR's method of temp control is rather limited though IMO, specifically varying fan speed for direct temp control rather than varying heater. Based on 6+ years and 1000+ home roasts IMO a popper modified for just variable heater voltage control is capable of better roasts than a IR. With variable boost control of both heat and fan even better and more flexible batch size wise.

I do want decent coffee roasting performance without reaching the $500+ prosumer roasters out there, but since a popcorn popper is a fraction of the cost of a $100 Freshroast, how would you gauge an avid coffee drinker such as myself in their decision?  Just to let you know the level of my coffee commitment, I am a proud owner of the Rancilio duo (Silvia and Rocky).  Thanks again Mark, and to any other who decides to reply-Nate

Don't get me wrong, it's rather easy to turn beans brown and hence simple to roast coffee. And decent is relative. Just don't expect results on par or maybe even close to good Artisan roasters without a fair amount of time and effort learning the bean. Especially going into home roasting on the cheap, and there's nothing wrong with that! Just expect more learning curve, time and effort to be able to get really good results. But of the off the shelf available home roasting appliances, for easy to get decent results quickly with limited or no tweaking or modifying IMO only the HotTop qualifies. OTH an open wok or frying pan and wooden spoon can produce some might fine coffee roasts, but it ain't necessarily easy!

miKe mcKoffee aka Mike McGinness
www.CompassCoffeeRoasting.com
patrickb
patrickb

Grinder: President's Choice Burr...
Posted Fri Apr 27, 2007, 6:45am

Great article! One thing that I would add (from experience) is that coffee *will* fly out of the maker into you chaff bowl. This is especially true with the drier beans that are pushed out simply by air pressure. Also, the air at the end will blow the chaff all over your kitchen unless you somehow seal the bowl. Not recommended. I usually take my popcorn maker outside and use it without the cover. It takes about the same amount of time to roast but it allows me to to catch the beans that fly out (using a large cookie sheet underneath). Also, the chaff just flies out the top so no cleanup! Do it outside anyways because you will get a lot of smoke.

Regarding the chaff at the end, I'd recommend giving it (the coffee) a good stir with your hands and using a sieve that has fairly large holes. There is still *a lot* of it left of the beans and this will be the only way to get it off.

Finally, do be careful if you're using a cookie sheet for cooling off. It does a fantastic job (i.e. fast cooldown) but it does get incredibly hot!
showing page 1 of 7 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Articles > How-To Feedback > Roasting coffee...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.290729999542)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+